Should Harper get a shot as punt returner (1 Viewer)

What was the point of keeping Rod Harper on the team if he's not going to be PR?

Ahhhh, the yearly "why don't we replace Bush as punt returner" chants.

Of course all will be forgotten when he's returned 3-4 for TD's at the end of the season and he's averaging over 10 a return.

What was the point of keeping Rod Harper on the team if he's not going to be PR?

So he could be a reserve WR in case of injury? We needed 5 WR's and he won the last spot.

Punt return team could use a boost. A North and South returner maybe what the doctor ordered. East and West is killing field position. Time too give Harper a few touches.

If Harper returns kicks, he has to be activated, and won't contribute as a receiver.

I wonder who do you want to keep inactive in order to get Harper playing. I am curious.

Only team with a worse average is the Cowgirls, and that might change after they play the kitty kats...

SP has addressed problems areas on a weekly basis, and I'm confident he'll get this one also.

Is it 25, opposing punters, the unit as a whole? I would love to see Rod for 1 game at least.

Ahhhh, the yearly "why don't we replace Bush as punt returner" chants.

Of course all will be forgotten when he's returned 3-4 for TD's at the end of the season and he's averaging over 10 a return.

So he could be a reserve WR in case of injury? We needed 5 WR's and he won the last spot.

I wont forget it. I would rather have a guy back there who doesn't make me pull my hair out 8 times out of 10 and 1 times out of 10 get a big return. I'll take the guy who gets me positive yards, no fumbeled punt returns and maybe only 1 or 2 returns for TDs instead of 3 or 4. Those possible two extra TDs in one or two games dont make up for the countless games his returns lead to nothing, negative gains or worse. And the Saints team as a whole are hurt by those screw ups and they pretty much negate the good. And this season he has done no good to make up for it.

You never know what your going to get with Reggie and TBH, its been heavily stacked to the negative side this season, I'll take the guy with a little less flash and breakout capacity but who will consistently make positive yards and not make boneheaded decisions.

Any other person not name Reggie Bush would have been pulled after week 2.

If Harper returns kicks, he has to be activated, and won't contribute as a receiver.

I wonder who do you want to keep inactive in order to get Harper playing. I am curious.

Hard decision. Now that Usama is healthy, I could see Roby not as vital on coverage. We've seen Meachum @ KR, and I dare to say Reggie was a great college kick returner. I guess you have to decide what is more important, and as long as we're winning, who cares.

I wont forget it. I would rather have a guy back there who doesn't make me pull my hair out 8 times out of 10 and 1 times out of 10 get a big return. I'll take the guy who gets me positive yards, no fumbeled punt returns and maybe only 1 or 2 returns for TDs instead of 3 or 4. Those possible two extra TDs in one or two games dont make up for the countless games his returns lead to nothing, negative gains or worse. And the Saints team as a whole are hurt by those screw ups and they pretty much negate the good. And this season he has done no good to make up for it.

You never know what your going to get with Reggie and TBH, its been heavily stacked to the negative side this season, I'll take the guy with a little less flash and breakout capacity but who will consistently make positive yards and not make boneheaded decisions.

Any other person not name Reggie Bush would have been pulled after week 2.

It's been 3 games. Bush averaged 13.5 a return last year (elite) and returned 4 for TD's (elite).

Any person who did that last year would not of been pulled after week 2, especially for someone who's never even been active on a Sunday.

The reason that he has such a low average is that they are kicking away from him...
Thats just not true. Hes had several punts with plenty field in front of him and room to go. But has hesitated, stuttered stepped and gone back to that crap he did his rookie year where he rather run in circles and go sideways then just turning on the jets and going forward.

Hes become a creture of habit and that habit is looking for the homerun play which has actually led to having the opposite effect.

Punt return team could use a boost. A North and South returner maybe what the doctor ordered. East and West is killing field position. Time too give Harper a few touches.

Absolutely. Reggie has no mojo on punt returns.

It's been 3 games. Bush averaged 13.5 a return last year (elite) and returned 4 for TD's (elite).

Any person who did that last year would not of been pulled after week 2, especially for someone who's never even been active on a Sunday.
Yeah but remember that last year he started out doing the same stuff people were pulling there hair out from the year before. Stutering, running sideways, running backwards etc. Then came the Minny game and he had been talking before how he needed to drop the stuttering and sideways crap and low and behold he had that amazing game.

This season it seems like he completely forgot what made him so lethal in that Minny game and has gone back to what made fans pull their hair out.

I think benching him from punt returns for a few games will do him good and let him re-focus on what made him a weapon and not a liability. Plus if hes not getting it we need to have a guy out there who does until Reggie does come around and get it.

And honestly Im not even against not pulling him completely. At the very least I think Bush should be switching off with someone like Harper to find out if it:

1.) May light a fire under Reggie's ***

2.) Determine if Harper or someone else may be more consistant and maybe just as deadly and capable as Bush.

Forget north/south and east/west ... just put someone back there who will make good decisions (i.e. when to fair catch, let the ball go) and has sure hands. Anything on the return is extra. When Reggie is back there fielding punts, my heart rate goes sky high. I'm not anticipating a long punt return for a touchdown, but rather dreading that he's gonna fumble, run backwards or sideways, etc., or get us penalized for a block in the back. I've lost faith in him returning punts. What he did last year isn't relevant ... he's not being productive this season!

I give Reggie credit for improving in the running game the past couple of weeks. He made some fine runs yesterday and contributed to the team's victory.

Please, though, no more vertically-challenged punt returns. Put Lance back there, and let's end the suspense. He probably won't break a long one, but he won't make bone-headed decisions either!

Last edited:

Probably to help fill a Terrance Copper style role on special teams as a gunner and be a backup PR. But since they re-signed Roby, that plan has taken a back seat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom