Should Harper get a shot as punt returner (1 Viewer)

turntime

Veteran
Reaction score
Punt return team could use a boost. A North and South returner maybe what the doctor ordered. East and West is killing field position. Time too give Harper a few touches.

Pjgaryjr, I'm glad you posted that, I was about to ask him why the hell we would want Roman Harper returning punts.

ill take the guy who is one of the best in the league in Reggie Bush. You have to look at the number of kicks that have been shanked or kicked short as the punters try to directional kick the ball to bush. Thats giving us GOOD field position. Again, as i've said in the past look at ALL the great returners in the leage (Hester, Cribbs, Roscoe Parrish) they ALL run EAST and WEST when theres nothing right up the middle to try and break it. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Heck, Parrish did that a few times yesterday. When you have a returner that its in their nature to always go for the homerun, they are gonna lose you 5-10 yards sometimes. you live with it, b/c you know at any moment they could break one for 7.

I'll take reggie back their anyday, not only cuz he can take it too the house, but all the HIDDEN field position we Gain by directional kicks that we WILL NOT gain if harper's back there.

I like Harper, but it's still Reggies job for now. "pjk" said it well in the above post. Give Reggie a couple chances with a ligitimately returnable punt and see what he can do before we change direction. If he still looks flat, it's Harper's turn.

I don't see why Reggie hasn't been replaced yet

It must be because Payton obviously wants us to lose so he can collect on the guaranteed contract money after he's been fired for using the worst players on the team. I'm sick of him playing favorites and putting draft status ahead of production.

Teams are shaking in there cleats with a 2 yard return average. Why kick away from him?

The special teams coach needs to be in Reggie's ear telling him to get up the field and stop ***** footing around, especially when he is behind the ten yard line. I'll take a ten yard boring return over Reggie's exciting four yard loss any day.

The special teams coach needs to be in Reggie's ear telling him to get up the field and stop ***** footing around, especially when he is behind the ten yard line. I'll take a ten yard boring return over Reggie's exciting four yard loss any day.

I could not have said it better. Agreed.

We have faced good punters so far though. I just want to see Reggie be DECISIVE and get north and south before going east or west. I thought Morestead did a GREAT job with hangtime, taking Parrish out of the game.

Yes ... and if he, too, runs sideways and backwards, pull him and put Moore back there (when he's healthy). Honestly, I think we'd be a lot better off in the long run keeping Lance as the permanent PR.

I'll take reggie back their anyday, not only cuz he can take it too the house, but all the HIDDEN field position we Gain by directional kicks that we WILL NOT gain if harper's back there.

:plus-un2:

Awesome observation. There's hidden field position in directional kicks as well as the more occasional shank. Taking punts to the house is the ultimate payoff, but having to re-kick to bush after declining a penalty, only to shank it out of bounds, is a nice perk that I doubt happens if Harper is back there.

Bush makes the opposing Special Teams coach earn his bucks that week (especially when Gregg Williams' defense is forcing 3 and outs).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom