should nola.com take down picture of 5 year old girl that was shot (1 Viewer)

I do care. I hate seeing inncoent lives lost. I hate seeing children raised without a chance. I would not like anyone coming into my house and searching. You are correct about that. But I dont know what I'd be willing to do if I worried about my kid's life everyday. I think I would try to team up with the police and do everything I could do to save those kids lives. I think they should start a program where "trusted neighbors" team and go out with police. If there was a killer on the lose like in Boston and they the police thought he was in my neighborhood, maybe holding my family in a back room at gunpoint, I'd welcome them in.

I agree with you to an extent.
If that were happening in my neighborhood I might be more willing to let the police in my house.
But what I think you have to remember is the history of police in a lot of these areas that have high crime rates. There has been a long history of police abuse that has created outright antagonism amongst the community and the police/district attorney, etc.
I am sure I would feel differently if the police had "accidentally" shot my uncle for instance, and stopped and searched me everytime they saw me, and I had known/knew of police engaging in the drug trade and other illegal activities, etc.

At first I saw the little girl and thought it was too much, but then I looked at that father and cried, so yeah it hit home for me.

The pain on that father's face struck me deeply, too. More so than the image of the child (which is bad enough). It humanizes the pain and the tragedy.

Nola.com has posted the picture of the little girl that was shot today laying on her porch on their page. Is that over the top or do we need this to drive this home that this is real people suffering and not just a news story? I'm really torn on this. This killing has to stop.

NOPD arrests suspected triggerman in fatal shooting of little Briana Allen | NOLA.com

I'm not sure, but I think NOLA.com ought to either take itself down or sell itself to someone better at doing the job.

I agree with you to an extent.
If that were happening in my neighborhood I might be more willing to let the police in my house.
But what I think you have to remember is the history of police in a lot of these areas that have high crime rates. There has been a long history of police abuse that has created outright antagonism amongst the community and the police/district attorney, etc.
I am sure I would feel differently if the police had "accidentally" shot my uncle for instance, and stopped and searched me everytime they saw me, and I had known/knew of police engaging in the drug trade and other illegal activities, etc.

I absolutely understand the feelings toward police due to history and I agree that some of it is well deserved. It's time to come togather, work with police and protect these innocent children before may more are laying at the feet of their parents. Somehow the police and the community leaders need to work togather to get the corrupt cops off their beat, and to share information to stop these shameful killings. The alternative is that it stays the same.

I absolutely understand the feelings toward police due to history and I agree that some of it is well deserved.

I don't think you do.

I don't "absolutely understand" and I've done a fair amount of work and research on the topic. You're using the word "understand" and I think it's an interesting choice. Early on, a mentor told me that the first impetus in the work is to seek understanding. Above anything else, understanding first. Then after there's a bit of understanding, then you can progress to ideas about things, solid informed opinions. Then you can move to real solutions. You seem to have skipped ahead all the way to the end, solution proposal. And been pretty definitive in doing so.

The understanding - idea/opinion - solution approach been really good advice and has helped me in this work. That's one of the reasons I made the suggestion above that you look around and start reading and watching about some of the things you're only guessing at now.

I've had people challenge me for answers on things, and I don't really have any. Ideas about places to start, but no answers. Because I think my understanding is very incomplete. So once again, I'd encourage you to stop assuming you actually do understand and look around, read, talk to people, watch. Of course, be careful about the sources you are looking at because sometimes (especially televisual) it can be even more distorting.

I don't know that you can say you understand and then propose the solutions you are to remedy the violence. For several reasons.

It's time to come togather, work with police and protect these innocent children before may more are laying at the feet of their parents. Somehow the police and the community leaders need to work togather to get the corrupt cops off their beat, and to share information to stop these shameful killings. The alternative is that it stays the same.
fwiw, this is a more reasonable approach than saying you'd like to see Boston 2.0 rolling in the streets of NOLA, and all of the military accoutrements and surrendering of privacy that go along with it.

The problem, though, as JE noted above, is the distrust that exists. And it exists because they have been putting into practice just what you were advocating above. In the name of safety and law enforcement and protecting people from the bad guys and have become the bad guys themselves (in perception moreso than reality, I think - but both still apply).

If you want to repair the relationship and foster an atmosphere of cooperation and trust, than your solutions should include something other than what you first said you'd like to see. Because what you've proposed is what's played a large part in the schism that exists and you say you want to fix.

I don't think you do.

I don't "absolutely understand" and I've done a fair amount of work and research on the topic. You're using the word "understand" and I think it's an interesting choice. Early on, a mentor told me that the first impetus in the work is to seek understanding. Above anything else, understanding first. Then after there's a bit of understanding, then you can progress to ideas about things, solid informed opinions. Then you can move to real solutions. You seem to have skipped ahead all the way to the end, solution proposal. And been pretty definitive in doing so.

The understanding - idea/opinion - solution approach been really good advice and has helped me in this work. That's one of the reasons I made the suggestion above that you look around and start reading and watching about some of the things you're only guessing at now.

I've had people challenge me for answers on things, and I don't really have any. Ideas about places to start, but no answers. Because I think my understanding is very incomplete. So once again, I'd encourage you to stop assuming you actually do understand and look around, read, talk to people, watch. Of course, be careful about the sources you are looking at because sometimes (especially televisual) it can be even more distorting.

I don't know that you can say you understand and then propose the solutions you are to remedy the violence. For several reasons.

fwiw, this is a more reasonable approach than saying you'd like to see Boston 2.0 rolling in the streets of NOLA, and all of the military accoutrements and surrendering of privacy that go along with it.

The problem, though, as JE noted above, is the distrust that exists. And it exists because they have been putting into practice just what you were advocating above. In the name of safety and law enforcement and protecting people from the bad guys and have become the bad guys themselves (in perception moreso than reality, I think - but both still apply).

If you want to repair the relationship and foster an atmosphere of cooperation and trust, than your solutions should include something other than what you first said you'd like to see. Because what you've proposed is what's played a large part in the schism that exists and you say you want to fix.

You are correct.. "Understand" is the wrong word. Should have said "ackowledge" not understand!!

You are correct.. "Understand" is the wrong word. Should have said "ackowledge" not understand!!

I think that's a really fair and important distinction :17:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom