should nola.com take down picture of 5 year old girl that was shot (1 Viewer)

there certainly is a point where they can go over the top but the people being shot and/or killed are real people. I think that to a point, this has more impact on people than just a number. This is everyones problem and it is probably going to take everyone to fix it.

Nola.com has posted the picture of the little girl that was shot today laying on her porch on their page. Is that over the top or do we need this to drive this home that this is real people suffering and not just a news story? I'm really torn on this. This killing has to stop.

NOPD arrests suspected triggerman in fatal shooting of little Briana Allen | NOLA.com

To answer your question: Yes.

I've been in the newspaper industry for more than 18 years and I can say with all certainty that the photographer could have captured the mood of that crime scene without showing that little girl. As his editor, I would not have authorized the publishing of that photo and would have furthered instructed the photographer to delete all copies of it.

As an industry standard, it is generally inexcusable to publish photos of bodies or white sheets. Photographers and reporters often arrive on scenes shortly after law enforcement, so they see and hear much of what the general public never sees and hears. That is no reason, however, to publish certain information.

In this case, it appears the photographer got caught up in the emotional side of his job, which he is trained not to do. Having said that, as a veteran reporter and editor, I have done the same --- but I have never crossed the line.

NOLA was terribly irresponsible on this one.

I've been in the newspaper industry for more than 18 years and I can say with all certainty that the photographer could have captured the mood of that crime scene without showing that little girl. As his editor, I would not have authorized the publishing of that photo and would have furthered instructed the photographer to delete all copies of it.

As an industry standard, it is generally inexcusable to publish photos of bodies or white sheets. Photographers and reporters often arrive on scenes shortly after law enforcement, so they see and hear much of what the general public never sees and hears. That is no reason, however, to publish certain information.

In this case, it appears the photographer got caught up in the emotional side of his job, which he is trained not to do. Having said that, as a veteran reporter and editor, I have done the same --- but I have never crossed the line.

I think they probably thought it out and decided they had to do something to try to get folks involved.

Indeed, that was probably their rationale. But referencing that a 5-year-old kid is dead in the headline would have been sufficient to get people's attention.

I disagree with both of you.
People, young and old, are shot to death in this country every day. Just referencing it in the story of the headline no longer gets any real attention. The public needs to see the images to drive the point home. There is no longer any outrage when these things happen.
JMHO

I've previously worked in newsroom, albeit on the TV side. We refrained from showing outright gore (obviously), but our news director felt, in certain situations, that the white sheets / blood were okay. Its all about how the picture (or video in our case) is shot & presented.

When I first looked at the picture linked, I see the father. I see the concern on his face, the sweat pouring off of him as he tries to keep his daughter awake. It wasn't until examining the picture further that I see the trickle of blood at her elbow. I think this picture, as it is presented, is fine. I don't think the most descriptive headline imaginable could match the look on the father's face in displaying how very real crimes like these affect families.

At first I saw the little girl and thought it was too much, but then I looked at that father and cried, so yeah it hit home for me. I know it would probably never work, but I think these street gangs should be treated like organized crime. If one kills, they all are charged.

Also I think the police should offer percentages to informants that lead to drug busts. PD/state get 90% informant/s gets 10%. Watch how quickly drug start getting off the streets that leads to violence.

Removing that picture is just as bad as ignoring the violence inherent in this city. And there's plenty of people who just want to ignore and pretend that because it doesn't happen in their area, there's no problem.

Pictures like these will at least get people to talk about it, and hopefully never forget.

At first I saw the little girl and thought it was too much, but then I looked at that father and cried, so yeah it hit home for me. I know it would probably never work, but I think these street gangs should be treated like organized crime. If one kills, they all are charged.

Also I think the police should offer percentages to informants that lead to drug busts. PD/state get 90% informant/s gets 10%. Watch how quickly drug start getting off the streets that leads to violence.

If we treated these shooters like Boston did that bomber, after a couple big man hunts, these guys would stop or move on.

Whether or not you agree with publishing the photo, what does that have to do with the photographer?

Michael DeMocker is one of the best and most well-respected photojournalists in the country.

I trust his judgment over message board posters.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom