Should Payton have challenged the Bush fumble? (1 Viewer)

Irish Saint

SURVIVORBOWL 8 CHAMPION
Reaction score
Anybody think Payton should have challenged the Bush fumble? I thought it was a bad call on his part, it looked a fairly obvious fumble & cost us a timeout. Surely there is someone in the stands getting different views before the challenge is called?

No, he shouldn't have but he should have challenged the Miller fumble. I believe that one would have been overturned because he never had possession. It likely would have saved us 7 points.

Well what happens is that the other team usually hurries up to the line and the coaches upstairs don't get a chance to see the replay so you have to throw the flag out there without even seeing a replay. Of course we knew it shouldn't have been challenged but we had the benefit of seeing it in slow motion. Full speed it looked close so I don't blame Payton for challenging it. Its not like losing that timeout hurt us at the end.

I don't think the Miller play was a completed pass, therefor, no fumble. The fact that we played IN Pitt, I'm sure the jumbotron wasn't replaying it enough for Payton to see. In that case, Miller should have gone to Payton and tell him that he didn't complete the pass. Maybe he did go to Payton. Maybe he thought he did have it.

Give credit to Pitt for snapping the ball before Payton could do anything.

Well what happens is that the other team usually hurries up to the line and the coaches upstairs don't get a chance to see the replay so you have to throw the flag out there without even seeing a replay.

I wouldn't mind seeing a different flag that holds up the play for a few seconds to give the coaches time to review before a challenge just to eliminate this scenario. If the intent of the review is to get the calls right, then there should be a way to keep a team from rushing the play like that.

Is it just me or does anyone think they need to tweak the replay rules a little bit. I like the fact that coaches have an option to challenge but I don't like the fact the teams can "cheat the system", so to speak, by hurring up and snapping the ball before the other team's coach can even make a decision to challenge or not. Maybe give the refs upstairs as well as the coach the option to review a play. I guess it would slow the game down a bit, but at least you can get more calls right.

Payton should have called time out on the Miller fumble. I can't believe that nobody told him that it was worth looking at. Our replay person is questionable.

Is it just me or does anyone think they need to tweak the replay rules a little bit. I like the fact that coaches have an option to challenge but I don't like the fact the teams can "cheat the system", so to speak, by hurring up and snapping the ball before the other team's coach can even make a decision to challenge or not. Maybe give the refs upstairs as well as the coach the option to review a play. I guess it would slow the game down a bit, but at least you can get more calls right.

I've always thought that. Above and beyond anything else, replay should correct errors made by the officials. I'll admit, I don't have a solution to those who will say that if every close play is looked at, the games would last 4 hours instead of 3, but something needs to be done or just get rid of it.

What about H. Ward's first catch. It was a third down conversion that lead to Pitt's first TD.

It wasn't a catch. He dropped the ball.

I think the non challenge on the Miller fumble influenced the challenge on the Bush fumble. The coaches in the box have the game feed on TV and they saw what we saw well before Pitt snapped the ball. I thought it was probably to early in the game for Payton to risk the challenge.

Maybe Payton needs to reward players for letting him know if he should challenge on a play and penalize them if he challenges their play and don't get the reversal. The players know when they fumble or make a catch but their competiveness skews their honesty many times.

The game gets to be too slow as it is. These reply breaks get on my nerves. Sure, I'd like to see the right call made, but everyone makes mistakes. The momentum can be killed while the refs try to get a call right.

Payton has done a great job, but one thing he has overlooked is how to handle replay challenges. He should have a coach upstairs who is designated to check the replay as soon as a controversial call is made who can communicate to Payton through his headset when to challenge and not to challenge. Clearly, he should have challenged the Miller call, and there's no way he should have challenged Bush's obvious fumble. This is not the first time he has blown a timeout on a bad challenge. He can't be expected to make these decisions based on his vantage on the sideline. They have to be made by an upstairs coach who has the same access to t.v. replays as the fans, and then relayed down to Payton. There is a "get back" coach whose job during the game is to keep sidelined players and other coaches from encroaching onto the field of play during live action. There also needs to be a designated replay coach.

For those who may not have seen the T-P today, SP talking about challenges in general, and the Bush fumble in particular:

CHALLENGING DECISION: Saints Coach Sean Payton decided to challenge Bush's fumble even though the Saints' staff had not had a chance to evaluate the replay yet. Payton said he thought it was worth risking the timeout at that point in the game, with the Saints leading 24-17.

"The problem is, the offense is going to run a play before I get a look upstairs," Payton said. "So I can just wing it and let them run a play, then hear about how we didn't challenge something. So I'm going to err on the side of throwing that flag.

"Hey, we didn't run out of timeouts or challenges in that game. I'm just going to be aggressive in that manner. We've done that all season."

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-27/1163400739214170.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom