Should Police be allowed to investigate themselves in cases of officers shooting people (1 Viewer)

Should police be allowed to investigate themselves when they kill?

• No

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
I have heard this man talk a few times about how police murdered his son and lied to cover it up. He successfully argued in court to show that the police covered up what actually happened to try to give themselves justification. The police investigation said the officers were justified. In the civil suit, Michael Bell and his lawyers were able to prove in court the officers' story was impossible and fabricated. He was awarded a judgement in a civil suit, but has used that money as well as some of his own to bring to light how police should not be allowed to investigate themselves when they shoot and kill people. His efforts have led to changes in legislation in multiple states including Wisconsin where these events happened.

Why are police departments allowed to investigate themselves when anything serious happens, but especially when they kill?

I welcome any officers who have input that would justify this practice.

Last edited:
One of the demands of Campaign Zero, that was spurred out of the black lives matter movement, was to establish a community complaints board that would operate at the district level to go with a permanent special prosecutor at the state level and a mandatory independent investigation into all cases where a police officer severely injures or kills a civilian.

I think that is a pretty solid foundation to start with and would also like an explanation for why the current approach is supposedly sufficient.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom