Should Saints Trade for Johnson? (1 Viewer)

What compensation would you give for Derrick Johnson?

• Total voters

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Much like Jonathen Vilma, Derrick Johnson has become irrelevant on his teams defense since they have switched to a 34. He's been solid every year at SLB in a 43. With the trade dealine looming, and with a potential injury to Fujita, what compensation if any would you give for Derrick Johnson?

I just don't see it happening. It would be interesting thought, but I think they are happy with what they have for now.

He's on their bench. I'd take him with the quickness. 5th rounder should suffice.

I just don't see it happening. It would be interesting thought, but I think they are happy with what they have for now.

I love Evans as a special teamer, but never really liked him in terms of depth. I like Dunbar and Mitchell for depth, but I imagine that a second round choice for Derrick Johnson would be better than any LB we can grab in the last half of round 2 last year. Though LBs can be found in rounds two and three, with Johnson, the staff knows exactly what they are getting and he is ready to play NOW. Starting calibur in a 43, coveted by many during the draft, and he really has made plays and performed well when in the 43, on a bad team. I don't know why the Cheifs are trying to give away all of their talent and make household changes, but I would much rather see Johnson as a Saint than as a Bear with their decimated LB corp. Why the Bears traded for Gaines Adams at DE instead really confuses me. To me, this move could be as cataylistic as trading for Vilma, and potentially as much of a steal.

I'd be leery of messing with the chemistry of this team. We're 5-0; everybody is pulling on the same end of the rope.

Maybe if you bring in a new guy, the guys who were next in line (Dunbar, Cassillas, Evans) become a little resentful. Maybe the new guy's personality doesn't mix well. Maybe a tiny fraction of dissent silent spreads out when the ship gets rocked a bit (as it will - it's highly unlikely we win every game by 20 points).

I like the idea of bringing talent in cheaply. But this Saints team isn't one to be tinkered with right now. It's like talking to a pitcher when he's got a perfect game going - just don't do it. Leave it alone.

Let's see what one of these young guys can do. I think this team likes some special skills that Dunbar and Cassillas bring to the table.

Maybe you miss out on a potential bargain signing. But so what. The potential gain isn't worth rocking the boat.

I actually like the idea, and I remember many on here that were irritated to say the least that we did not make a move to draft him.
He is a good young player and could only improve our LB Corp. I would not sell the farm to get him, but a conditional 5th to 4th might be enough, although I would not go much higher....possibly throw in a 7th, but we have had good picks in later rounds, so kinda goes both ways.
I would not be butt hurt if it happened, although I am sure there are some that would be. Kinda goes with the "if it aint broke" thing.
I like this option better than Brooks...

Hard to answer this question. It depends on the seriousness of Fujita's injury. We are in a win now mode, and I personally don't trust Evans replacing Fujita over an extended period of time. I'm pretty sure the F.O. have a plan in place.

Much like Jonathen Vilma, Derrick Johnson has become irrelevant on his teams defense since they have switched to a 34. He's been solid every year at SLB in a 43. With the trade dealine looming, and with a potential injury to Fujita, what compensation if any would you give for Derrick Johnson?

I wanted the Saints to draft him and when we moved up that year I thought for sure it was for him. Instead we picked a heck of a Tackle (Brown) which I am happy we did. It would be a nice upgrade over what we have now, if Fujita is going to be out an extended amount of time.

I'm happy with the depth we have at every position but SLB. This is as a good as time as any for the Saints to make a Super Bowl run, to risk it would be an incredibly bad move by the front office.

Johnson will be a FA at the end of this year and I doubt KC will want to resign him. Whether the Fujita injury is serious or not doesn't really matter, when you have a chance to improve the depth on a contending team for cheap you take it.

I doubt we'd have to use anything like a 2nd or maybe even a 3rd to acquire his services. A 4th rounder sounds about right, and we don't have a 5th due to the Morstead trade. I might consider throwing a 7th in there to make sure the deal gets done but only if necessary. I'm sure KC will take whatever we offer them, they are rebuilding and need all the help they can get.

Think about it like this for that 4th rounder we are acquiring a proven starting caliber player that will help us in a run to the Super Bowl this year and could probably be resigned next year in a likely area of need if the Saints are satisfied with his play. It's much less risky than using that pick on an unproven player who might not even make the squad. Of course they could turn out to be a gem, but no NFL GM is going to use that reasoning.

I say we give them our fourth and swap 6th rounders (do we even have one next year?). I like the idea of picking him up, but only if Fujita is going to out for an extended period of time (more than 4 weeks). Otherwise, with the time it would take for him to learn the playbook and calls, it might be not worth it. Either way, you're gonna have Evans in there filling in and when Fujita comes back...what do you do?

I say we give them our fourth and swap 6th rounders (do we even have one next year?). I like the idea of picking him up, but only if Fujita is going to out for an extended period of time (more than 4 weeks). Otherwise, with the time it would take for him to learn the playbook and calls, it might be not worth it. Either way, you're gonna have Evans in there filling in and when Fujita comes back...what do you do?

Pretty sure we traded our sixth next year for a seventh pick in the last draft. Got Adrian (bugger! what's his last name?) for it, yes?

Pretty sure we traded our sixth next year for a seventh pick in the last draft. Got Adrian (bugger! what's his last name?) for it, yes?

That was the year before. AA went on IR last year and is on the practice squad this year. We are missing a pick this year from the punter trade last year (well worth it, if you ask me).

We traded our 6th this year (as in the draft that already happened) for Adrian Arrington. We traded our 5th next year and our 7th this year for Morstead. That leaves us with our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th in next years draft (the one coming up).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom