Question Should Saints trade Jamis Winston to the Raiders? (1 Viewer)

A 17 game schedule (plus postseason, if applicable) is a long slog... and injuries happen!

For those who feel we should trade Jameis, please name at least three (3) backups (including unsigned free agents ) among the other 31 teams who are as good or better.

If you can't name at least three, then you're admitting that the Saints CANNOT afford to trade him.

:gosaints:
I'm not sure why this does not have 100 likes.

Did I miss the post about someone complaining his name was spelled wrong or the Jamis who post?

I am extremely disappoint at ssf

Based on the Raider's history of enjoying the vertical passing game, Jameis would be a nice back up to Jimmy G. He's an affordable option (cap impact wise) and his greatest skill (slinging it) could potentially be a nice back up option for the Raiders. Then again I don't know if their current philosophy alligns with that though.

As for the Saints, if we received an affordable asset that could help us now, then I'd do it. Like a poster said earlier, if Carr goes down, we're toast anyway.

It all depends on what we can get for him. Part of the reason for trading him is to give him the opportunity to start. He wants to be a starter. Having Tayson, and not Haener, gives me some comfort if we do decide to trade him. If Haener does not preform well in preseason, then I might have some hesitation. Taysom is a capable back up. But we will lose that versatile role with him. The wild card is depending upon how Haener does in preseason.
If Taysom had to fill in for a couple of games, it could work. We've seen success in small doses in the past. If Taysom had to take over and finish a season (multiple games), that could be problematic.

If Taysom had to fill in for a couple of games, it could work. We've seen success in small doses in the past. If Taysom had to take over and finish a season (multiple games), that could be problematic.
We all love Taysom, but he is a one trick pony. We are not winning games, especially later in the year against quality opponents with Taysom at QB. However, Taysom is a lot better option than a 4th round pick who takes Glamor Shots in uniform.

1. Not sure JW's contract structure doesn't make trading him unduly punitive on our salary cap.
2. Editorial/opinion articles trying to speak unlikely trades into existence are ten a penny / a dime a dozen and almost always laughable.
3. The backup QB teams are actually looking to acquire is Davis Mills.
Any trade would have the Raiders picking up all or part of his financial Hit to the Saints.

Jameis saves you nothing in a trade because all of his money is signing/roster bonus already paid out. We needed to trade/cut him before the 3rd day of the league year to save 5.6M. Instead we ate his contract and decided to keep a good backup. He is better than any QB we would have signed for the 5.6M savings. There likely was no team willing to give up a 3rd in the 2023 draft for a player who has started 10 games in 2 seasons.

We all love Taysom, but he is a one trick pony. We are not winning games, especially later in the year against quality opponents with Taysom at QB. However, Taysom is a lot better option than a 4th round pick who takes Glamor Shots in uniform.
Which is why I alluded to him only filling in for a couple of games. He has put up a few W’s as a QB, but it’s not sustainable over the long haul.

Which is why I alluded to him only filling in for a couple of games. He has put up a few W’s as a QB, but it’s not sustainable over the long haul.
At this point defensive coordinators know Taysom. When he's in it's QB run left/right. These guys are gonna stack the box, play press coverage and go for broke. Let's keep it real, our O-Line's greatness was a byproduct of Brees. I would not count on them blocking for Taysom being forced to pass. And, please, I'm not knocking Taysom, it is what it is. We have seen it. I can see Taysom coming in off the bench here and there, but not when a defense has a week to prepare, kinda like Trevor. Taysom is at his best when he's coming in and defenses have to adjust on the fly.

At this point defensive coordinators know Taysom. When he's in it's QB run left/right. These guys are gonna stack the box, play press coverage and go for broke. Let's keep it real, our O-Line's greatness was a byproduct of Brees. I would not count on them blocking for Taysom being forced to pass. And, please, I'm not knocking Taysom, it is what it is. We have seen it. I can see Taysom coming in off the bench here and there, but not when a defense has a week to prepare, kinda like Trevor. Taysom is at his best when he's coming in and defenses have to adjust on the fly.
I mostly agree with all of that, but there were times with Taysom where we played power football and did enough to win. Even though we don't have a dominant OL, with Taysom at QB, we have played decent power football at times. Plus, playing power football sets up the pass. I'm with you totally. Taysom isn't a starting QB, but as a back up (or scripted play scenarios) he'e not a disaster either.

With a lot of Jameis' money already hitting our cap, maybe the Raiders re-work Renfrow's contract so that they take a big hit, and it allows a deal to happen. I don't think think the Saints are contenders without Carr, so if you can get a contributor in return for Jameis, maybe it makes sense. This was a "what if" type of thread, and these are "what if" answers. Anyone taking it too seriously should probably start taking blood pressure medicine or start smoking weed and chill out.

Taysom is at his deadliest at the QB spot when in spot duty. We saw it last season. Let him get a couple of QB Powers under his belt and then have him bust out with a well-placed pass. You lose that element of surprise when he's under center full time.

Also, Jameis is a more suitable backup for Derek than he would be for Jimmy G. The best backup for Jimmy G would be Dalton.

Im curious if Saints would trade Taysom now that they are stocking up at TE position.

they have Krull, Johnson, James, and Moreau to go w/ Taysom. While also being relatively full at QB.

Taysom for Renfrow?

I’ve been opposed to it, but Bridgewater is still out there, so we could still bring in a backup with plenty of NFL experience if needed.

That said, the Raiders could just as easily sign Bridgewater if they didn’t want to give up trade assets. They haven’t done that yet, so I wonder if they are even looking for a QB.
Teddy is kind of a sad story. But it's hard to feel to sorry for a guy making millions a year. Hope he gets signed by a decent team and I wouldn't be mad if it was us..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom