Should the Olympics get delayed? And related discussion. (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, I don't want to clutter up the CV19 thread with this discussion. The Olympics are scheduled for July 24th and runs through August 9th in Tokyo, Japan. They haven't yet been delayed, but apparently, there are rumors that the IOC and organizers have been quietly discussing the possibility of postponing the Games. Supposedly there will be several options and I'm curious as to opinions people have on how this should be handled.

It seems to me they need to make a decision sooner than later because the later they decide, the more expensive a postponement becomes. I really don't think they have a choice. With social distancing and many people getting infections and quarantined, this will cut into many athletes' preparation for the Games. I just think it won't be a level playing field and certainly some countries will still be feeling the fallout from the pandemic. I think they should postpone it a minimum of a year, although 2 years might be a safer bet in the event that we see a phase 2 of CV19.

Any thoughts?

Even if this thing falls off by June in the northern hemisphere- what about the southern? And the training schedules have been obliterated for many athletes - plus the qualifying events have all been canceled.

Seems like if they have it, it would just be a poor choice, even if it is actually feasible to have the event itself.

Also LOL @ London’s mayor for “offering” in early February to have it instead of Japan. We knew that wasn’t going to age well.

Last edited:
Even if this thing falls of by June in the northern hemisphere- what about the southern? And the training schedules have been obliterated for many athletes - plus the qualifying events have all been canceled.

Seems like if they have it, it would just be a poor choice, even if it is actually feasible to have the event itself.

Also LOL @ London’s mayor doe “offering” in early February to have it instead of Japan. We knew that wasn’t going to age well.

I didn't even think about the qualifying events. This thing is a logistical nightmare in so many ways. I wonder if they postpone it, would they keep the 2020 designation, or does this throw off the traditional 4 year calendar?

I didn't even think about the qualifying events. This thing is a logistical nightmare in so many ways. I wonder if they postpone it, would they keep the 2020 designation, or does this throw off the traditional 4 year calendar?

I think they would keep the four year calendar- this would just be with an asterisk.

They'll be cancelled the Japanese have tried so hard to minimize the impacts that irony is going to end up shutting down the Olympics in Tokyo. By the time it rolls around Japan is still going to be dealing with Covid and South America as well as Australia will be in full lockdowns.

I'm pretty sure we aren't going to see sporting events with crowds for another 14-16 months.

Until a vaccine and / or effective medicines are developed for this, the Olympics should not happen. If all other sports are cancelled, what makes the Olympics so special as to continue on?

I'll take all sports being cancelled so long the Saints get to play.

In all seriousness. I think the NFL will find a way for the season to get underway safely.

College football on the other hand I expect the 2020 season to be cancelled. No need to risk the Health of amateur athletes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom