Should the Saints trade up? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I haven't posted anything on here in almost 15 years but I check in often. I'm only posting this time because I really would like your honest opinion.

I think everyone agrees that LT is by far the Saint's most important need. I think most agree that the top 3 LT's will not be available at #15.

My question is this. If the Saints traded their 1st and 3rd round pick to move up to 10 and draft Lane Johnson, would you approve of that move or disapprove?

I personally would love the move because it would shore up the biggest need on the team inexpensively and take care of the left tackle position for the next 10 years.

I know the proponents will say that the saints need more picks and don't need to give any away, need more depth, need to draft for defense, etc etc but I can't see a scenario where who the Saints pick in the 1st and 3rd round will be as valuable in 5 years as Johnson will be to this team and Drew Bees. Your thoughts please?

No. The level of talent at the top of the draft is not all that great. The strength of the draft is in the late 1st to the high third round, so if anything it would be smart to move back and pick up a second round pick.

If we hadn't been mugged for several picks by Roger I might approve.......but I would prefer we not. I like trading back, too, if it's possible and no one falls to us.

I get what you're saying but seeing as how we're short on draft picks as it is and considering our FO's ability to find good O-linemen later in the draft, I think we either should stay put or trade back.

Getting a good LT sounds awesome but he can still be found in round 3 4 or 5.

Hellz No. Almost always hate trading up.

The draft is like a lottery. The more tickets you have, the better chance of a winning number.

can't give that much up for the third best tackle in this draft alone. i really don't think we have enough picks to do any trades that don't involve us getting more picks in return.

NO WAY!.... I say trade down and accumulate as many picks as possible, so many holes to fill!

If lane Johnson is there before the chargers pick at 11, I'd be willing to bet we make a strong push to move up

It's not the most glorious pick, but offensive tackle is a glaring weakness and arguably the most important position on the field....you can't skimp on a position like that

I expect to see us picking up some unkown LT from some hide away small college in the 4th or 5th round. There is little doubt that that is what our draft scouts have been tasked once again to dig up and find! They are looking for that OL steal that we have been very fortunate to find in the past. Probably our strongest draft asset. I don't think moving up will happen for an offensive lineman, more likely if we did it would be for a defensive player that Ryan and Payton really like. I prefer we stick with what we got and get the best players available in each round. But who knows, stranger things have happened and this year it kinda feels like almost every position has a special need for a starter or more depth.

Hellz No. Almost always hate trading up.

The draft is like a lottery. The more tickets you have, the better chance of a winning number.

That's an interesting take...and it's somewhat true....but there are more ways to win in the draft than in the lottery

You can trade up, unlike in the lottery, and select a player that has higher value to the team

Also unlike the lottery, you have options. You aren't stuck with the hand you're dealt

I haven't posted anything on here in almost 15 years but I check in often. I'm only posting this time because I really would like your honest opinion.

I think everyone agrees that LT is by far the Saint's most important need. I think most agree that the top 3 LT's will not be available at #15.

My question is this. If the Saints traded their 1st and 3rd round pick to move up to 10 and draft Lane Johnson, would you approve of that move or disapprove?

I personally would love the move because it would shore up the biggest need on the team inexpensively and take care of the left tackle position for the next 10 years.

I know the proponents will say that the saints need more picks and don't need to give any away, need more depth, need to draft for defense, etc etc but I can't see a scenario where who the Saints pick in the 1st and 3rd round will be as valuable in 5 years as Johnson will be to this team and Drew Bees. Your thoughts please?

i dont think everyone agrees that LT is by far the biggest need. I think OLB is about as big of a need for instance. That being said if fisher falls to like 12 and we can trade up without giving up too much, maybe one of the running backs or something id be tempted. That being said i think the strength of this draft is in the mid rounds so in general id rather trade back

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom