Question Should the team give Davenport an extension? (Breakdown included) (1 Viewer)

Not 5 years for a player we gave up 2 first round draft picks for. So essentially he was a single top 6 draft pick.

4 years in and you haven't gotten squat out of him?
Last year he played well when he wasn’t injured. This year I think he’s playing overweight or teams have figured him out. He purposely gained weight and is now 300 lbs. His best moved is his bullrush and it’s really powerful but it’s very expected. He should have dominated versus Tampa’s backups but he didn’t make an impact.

He's going to break out....he missed most of TC and PS. Atlanta game wasn't going to be a big sack game but he was able to put pressure on Brady this past week. I still say he's going to get 15-20 this year....I hate making predictions but I got a feeling about this one.
Just a totally ridiculous expectation.

Since we have 317 threads on Jameis I figured we could use one about a different player.

Do you guys and gals think we should sign Marcus to a huge extension, based on potential? I looked and his market value (spotract) is 23.2 million per. Here’s a link to the breakdowns….

Personally hope we do not break the bank for him as potential and infrequent flashes do not warrant that type of contract imo. Then there is the issue of health. It’s a no for me dawg.
Do not extend. We probably chose the wrong one. We should have kept Trey Hendrickson and paid him the money.

The problem is he's better than the guy we moved up for that we likely thought would make the Davenport decision easier. Turner has been a disappointment and I honestly think he has less potential than Davenport.

Marcus pushes grown men around like rag dolls often. What I'm the most disappointed in his lack of development with different moves. He's pretty much just a bull rush guy that can do well with stunts since he lacks an arsenal of moves. Don't forget how lethal he and Sheldon Rankins were with that. But we no longer have a real 3 tech like Sheldon so that seems to happen less and keeps Marcus only able to use moves the LT knows is coming. Cam Jordan doesn't have a litany of moves either, but his moves are subtle, technique type moves that combine power with good hand usage and short area quickness. Davenport has to develop more in that area to be worth 23 million..

Some numbers:
  • Cam Jordan is the 5th highest paid DE at 17.5M, played 16 gm/yr, and averaged 10 sacks/yr for his career.
  • Davenport is the 50th highest at 3.4M, played 11.5 gm/yr over the last 3 years, and avg 5.25 sacks/yr.
  • Trey Hendrickson is 11th highest at 15M, played in 14.7 gm/yr over the last 3 years, and avg 10.7 sacks/yr.
  • J Clowney is the 21st highest paid at 10M, played 11.7 gm/yr over the last 3 years, and avg 4 sacks/yr.
  • Josh Sweat is the 17th hugest paid at 13.3M, 15.3 gm/yr over the last 3 years, and avg 5.3 sacks/yr.
I think Davenport’s value is about 10M/yr with some type of bonus for each game played after 12.

Last year he played well when he wasn’t injured. This year I think he’s playing overweight or teams have figured him out. He purposely gained weight and is now 300 lbs. His best moved is his bullrush and it’s really powerful but it’s very expected. He should have dominated versus Tampa’s backups but he didn’t make an impact.
Underhill says he was impactful against Tampa. Said Brady's quick delivery negated the pass rush. Not saying he's right, just saying that there are other opinions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom