Question Should the team give Davenport an extension? (Breakdown included) (1 Viewer)

It's a tough one. I actually wanted to sign him this past offseason. Thought it was a prime spot in his career to take a chance and get good value. Now that we have started the season, we'll probably just have to see how the year plays out.

A year 2 first round pick as a healthy scratch in a division game aint a good look that’s for sure.

Since we have 317 threads on Jameis I figured we could use one about a different player.

Do you guys and gals think we should sign Marcus to a huge extension, based on potential? I looked and his market value (spotract) is 23.2 million per. Here’s a link to the breakdowns….

Personally hope we do not break the bank for him as potential and infrequent flashes do not warrant that type of contract imo. Then there is the issue of health. It’s a no for me dawg.
They shouldn't, but if I had to guess they will.

I think you are suppose to sack the quarterback at least once before you talk extension.
Sacks aren’t everything. How the hell is he gonna get to Brady when he’s getting the ball out in less than 3 seconds in 3rd and long? And Mariota is more important to contain in the pocket and rely on pressure up the gut I’d you can manage it.

This is the problem with being two games in.

I’m still waiting for our return on the initial investment from him. I know hindsight is 20/20 (or 50/50 if you are Cam Newton), but if only we could’ve traded down and made some possible great selections in the 2nd rd. A boat load of talent was hit on in the 2nd. In fact, my post history will tell you that I wanted Harold Landry (not so subtle flex). Well, here we are asking this question from the OP. Is he worth an extension? Semi-yes and Semi-No. The answer is somewhere in between the two. It would have to come down to money for me personally. I would not break the bank for him.

I think you let him walk or franchise him. Then wee need to sign a veteran that stays healthy generally and draft a guy or two. Do we even have a sack this year ? like someone else mentioned, Hendrickson was productive !

Easy answer IMO - I’ll answer it in January. We will know if he can get thru a season playing all/most of the games and how many sacks he will have accrued! No need to make a decision this big now.

Last edited:
I think you let him walk or franchise him. Then wee need to sign a veteran that stays healthy generally and draft a guy or two. Do we even have a sack this year ? like someone else mentioned, Hendrickson was productive !
Hendrickson also doesn't have a sack this year either...Dav got 9 sacks in 11 games last year...that's almost 1 per. I see no reason why over a span of 17 games, if he plays all - w/ his penchant for between whistle violence cant get in the neighborhood of 15.

Sacks aren’t everything. How the hell is he gonna get to Brady when he’s getting the ball out in less than 3 seconds in 3rd and long? And Mariota is more important to contain in the pocket and rely on pressure up the gut I’d you can manage it.

This is the problem with being two games in.
Negative, I have watched the game multiple times and there were plenty of times we could have gotten Brady and I know of a least one we could have gotten Mariota but the guy your defending whiffed and Mariota took off for a nice gain.

You know what lets revisit this in like 6 weeks. Ill remember your name.

Underhill always says that the D Line is significantly worse without him. I’m not a tape guy so I can’t confirm nor deny that. I know when a D Lineman makes a good play, but that’s about it. I think Nick also says he gets the most double teams so that could be part of it.

Unless we’re somehow able to exchange him for a proven stud at the position, I don’t really know we’ll proceed without him. Seems like it could end up a lot like the Peat situation (in terms of management’s perspective). If you think you have the talent all around to contend, do you let go of a guy who you think has upside for a total unknown or a new, different guy who has also underperformed at times? I’m sure we’ll all have a much firmer opinion come December

The Franchise tag for a DE was $17.859M this year. Next years will be more than that. Are you really willing to guarantee that much? I'm not!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom