Question Should the team give Davenport an extension? (Breakdown included) (1 Viewer)

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
I think you are suppose to sack the quarterback at least once before you talk extension.
Sacks aren’t everything. How the hell is he gonna get to Brady when he’s getting the ball out in less than 3 seconds in 3rd and long? And Mariota is more important to contain in the pocket and rely on pressure up the gut I’d you can manage it.

This is the problem with being two games in.

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m still waiting for our return on the initial investment from him. I know hindsight is 20/20 (or 50/50 if you are Cam Newton), but if only we could’ve traded down and made some possible great selections in the 2nd rd. A boat load of talent was hit on in the 2nd. In fact, my post history will tell you that I wanted Harold Landry (not so subtle flex). Well, here we are asking this question from the OP. Is he worth an extension? Semi-yes and Semi-No. The answer is somewhere in between the two. It would have to come down to money for me personally. I would not break the bank for him.

natedog

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I think you let him walk or franchise him. Then wee need to sign a veteran that stays healthy generally and draft a guy or two. Do we even have a sack this year ? like someone else mentioned, Hendrickson was productive !

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Easy answer IMO - I’ll answer it in January. We will know if he can get thru a season playing all/most of the games and how many sacks he will have accrued! No need to make a decision this big now.

Last edited:

BayouSAINTJoe

Hard Seltzers taste like 💩!
Reaction score
I think you let him walk or franchise him. Then wee need to sign a veteran that stays healthy generally and draft a guy or two. Do we even have a sack this year ? like someone else mentioned, Hendrickson was productive !
Hendrickson also doesn't have a sack this year either...Dav got 9 sacks in 11 games last year...that's almost 1 per. I see no reason why over a span of 17 games, if he plays all - w/ his penchant for between whistle violence cant get in the neighborhood of 15.

BayouSAINTJoe

Hard Seltzers taste like 💩!
Reaction score
The best ability...
Well what's worse than that is cutting bait and using resources that we can use elsewhere to fill a hole we just made...Not sure if you've picked up on it...but he's lowkey one of my favorite players on defense...when he plays, he's an absolute animal on the field.

kennydfresh

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Sacks aren’t everything. How the hell is he gonna get to Brady when he’s getting the ball out in less than 3 seconds in 3rd and long? And Mariota is more important to contain in the pocket and rely on pressure up the gut I’d you can manage it.

Negative, I have watched the game multiple times and there were plenty of times we could have gotten Brady and I know of a least one we could have gotten Mariota but the guy your defending whiffed and Mariota took off for a nice gain.

You know what lets revisit this in like 6 weeks. Ill remember your name.

Reaction score
Underhill always says that the D Line is significantly worse without him. I’m not a tape guy so I can’t confirm nor deny that. I know when a D Lineman makes a good play, but that’s about it. I think Nick also says he gets the most double teams so that could be part of it.

Unless we’re somehow able to exchange him for a proven stud at the position, I don’t really know we’ll proceed without him. Seems like it could end up a lot like the Peat situation (in terms of management’s perspective). If you think you have the talent all around to contend, do you let go of a guy who you think has upside for a total unknown or a new, different guy who has also underperformed at times? I’m sure we’ll all have a much firmer opinion come December

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
The Franchise tag for a DE was $17.859M this year. Next years will be more than that. Are you really willing to guarantee that much? I'm not!

OP
OP
SigFreudianSlip

SigFreudianSlip

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

My question had nothing to do with just these two games. We are a few years in with Dav. I agree with you about sacks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom