Question Should the team give Davenport an extension? (Breakdown included) (1 Viewer)

Sacks aren’t everything. How the hell is he gonna get to Brady when he’s getting the ball out in less than 3 seconds in 3rd and long? And Mariota is more important to contain in the pocket and rely on pressure up the gut I’d you can manage it.

This is the problem with being two games in.
My question had nothing to do with just these two games. We are a few years in with Dav. I agree with you about sacks.

Theres no way they move on from him. He's getting paid.

How much do you think we should pay a DE who hasn’t been a pro bowler or an all-pro in his first 5 years? He hasn’t played enough or performed well enough in any one season to earn either of those honors. Do you think we should give him a 5 year/100mil contract? He’s not exactly TJ Watt. Most non-Saints fans probably don’t even know who he is.

How much do you think we should pay a DE who hasn’t been a pro bowler or an all-pro in his first 5 years? He hasn’t played enough or performed well enough in any one season to earn either of those honors. Do you think we should give him a 5 year/100mil contract? He’s not exactly TJ Watt. Most non-Saints fans probably don’t even know who he is.

Actually it’s a great comparison. TJ Watt was drafted with the 30th pick one year before we traded up for Davenport. Watt has 300 tackles and 73 sacks. Davenport has 112 tackles and 21 sacks. But people want to pay him on potential.

Draft a guy from a small school with massive potential and you just know you're gonna watch him learn and be inconsistent on our team and then mature and play like an an all-pro on someone else's

If we were to offer him an extension I would do it based on the player he is (and not based on his potential). The guy is beyond maddening to plan around based on the amount of time he is off the field.

Give him the kind of money that a defensive end somewhere between the 20-40 for their position get paid, and if he takes it cool, and if someone else comes in and pays him top 10 money then chalk it up to a fool and his money.

Give him a contract roughly equivalent to the one Trey Hendrickson got from the Bengals with escalators for games played.
That would be great! If Davenport were to leave, and Turner continues to be a healthy inactive on game days, the Saints will have to start over at DE once Cam hangs’em up.

Good DEs are hard to find!

…and with this team not having a 1st rounder, and likely needing a new QB very soon. They MUST keep the talent they have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom