Should We Draft a RB… N My Case For Breece Hall (1 Viewer)

We definitely need a quality RB to complement AK, preferably a bigger back who can pound the rock in between the tackles. But the more all-around this player is, the better. However, we don't necessarily have to draft this player. Payton has done very well picking up undrafted FAs at RB, or we could go out and get an affordable backup, like we did with Murray. We definitely need to use our high round draft picks at WR and O line. QB, of course, is a glaring need, but I'm assuming we are resigning Jameis, not trying to draft a QB.
We had the back up we needed Letavius Murray. When he filled in for Kamara in 2020, he did a good job. Also, had some respectable games with Baltimore this past year. Ingram was a fill in and I don’t see a place for him going forward.

I think drafting an RB makes sense in the later rounds (5,6,7) if there's a good option available. It's not a priority and we (and others) have shown that it's possible to get good players late and as UDFA, but I'd like to see it.
Alvin got beat up this year and he isn't getting any younger. MI is a short timer. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires this year.

RBs tend to get used up fast. If we want AK to stick around we need to get him some reliable, effective relief. Those injury issues are starting to pop up more often. We don't want to use him up like Carolina is doing with McCaffrey.

Alvin got beat up this year and he isn't getting any younger. MI is a short timer. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires this year.

RBs tend to get used up fast. If we want AK to stick around we need to get him some reliable, effective relief. Those injury issues are starting to pop up more often. We don't want to use him up like Carolina is doing with McCaffrey.
Completely agree. My point is that you can get a lot of value at RB in the later rounds or even UDFA.

I just want to thank everybody for their responses in this thread! I usually don’t start many so I appreciate all of the input!!!

👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

I do think most would agree that we need some added depth at running back, somebody who can give us some good touches n give AK some rest!

We’ll see!

Yeah that’s a lot of impressive stats (production) but a word of warning... you are talking about an Iowa State running back. You need to take those stats with a grain of salt.

That program generates crazy rushing stats most seasons and the players responsible for it are typically great offensive linemen rather than great RBs.
Yeah that’s a lot of impressive stats (production) but a word of warning... you are talking about an Iowa State running back. You need to take those stats with a grain of salt.

That program generates crazy rushing stats most seasons and the players responsible for it are typically great offensive linemen rather than great RBs.
Agreed. However, don’t u think our O line, esp when healthy is pretty good too?

In 2020, we finished the season 6th in the league in rushing! This past season we dropped to middle of the pack, but that was mostly due to all the injuries. N despite missing 5 games, AK STILL had nearly 900 yds rushing!

So if we get the O line healthy, Jameis n MT return, draft a WR ( n maybe bring a vet), I think passing O can b jus as good as it was in 2020. The threat of the deep passing game will force defenses to play honest, which will allow the run game to go back to its 2020 form as well.

Hall is somewhat similar to AK. He’s not a “true” power back but is very physical n runs with balance n power. But most importantly, once he gets in space, he’s got da speed to break off big runs!

I like what Atlanta did with Patterson this year. When he was with the Vikes he was mainly a returner/WR but Atlanta kinda used him as an RB too similar to Deebo.
Dunno if it’s true, but I had a friend tell me that Burks from Arkansas was sometimes used in the backfield like Deebo n Patterson. He’s 6’3” n 225 lbs, is physical n can fly!

I agree 100% that we should address the RB2 position in the draft. Whether its Jameis, Taysom, a rook, whoever, a QBs best best friend is a bonafide running game. I like a lot of the prospects in this class, but in my opinion, the dude that fits our O the best is BYU RB Ty Allgeier.

Posted about him in the prospects to follow thread, but the guy is one of the most complete RBs in the draft. In a nutshell, he’s a Mark Ingram-type to the letter. Allgeier a patient runner w/awesome vision. He can catch & pass protect. & whats more, the dude is a cannon ball w/legit power & tackle breaking ability. I think Allgeier’s the perfect RB2 to pair w/AK.

Spiller is actually rated as the second best back in the draft by Walter. But in his review he said some r questioning Spillers speed.
I haven’t reviewed all the RBs yet but I can say with confidence that he won’t he higher than 4th on my list

I haven’t reviewed all the RBs yet but I can say with confidence that he won’t he higher than 4th on my list
Here’s Walters RB list:

He’s got Breece at 5 on his list. But I put Hall on a list of players who can really help themselves with a good performance ( esp his 40 time) at da Combine.

( Edit) On a side note: At the top of the link, Walter has a breakdown of all of the positions in the upcoming draft. His rankings aside, it makes for an easy to find, useful source of available players.

Last edited:
Here’s Walters RB list:

He’s got Breece at 5 on his list. But I put Hall on a list of players who can really help themselves with a good performance ( esp his 40 time) at da Combine.
Maybe I missed it, but I did not see Abram Smith on the list.

He is by far the most intriguing RB prospect for the Saints.

Dave Aranda switched him from LB to RB and he rushed for 1600 yards.

I’d like to see the Saints sign Snoop Conner from Ole Miss as an UDFA. He is a violent runner like Chris Ivory with good size and hands. And like most SEC backs was in a rotation so he is not already dinged up.

I agree 100% that we should address the RB2 position in the draft. Whether its Jameis, Taysom, a rook, whoever, a QBs best best friend is a bonafide running game. I like a lot of the prospects in this class, but in my opinion, the dude that fits our O the best is BYU RB Ty Allgeier.

Posted about him in the prospects to follow thread, but the guy is one of the most complete RBs in the draft. In a nutshell, he’s a Mark Ingram-type to the letter. Allgeier a patient runner w/awesome vision. He can catch & pass protect. & whats more, the dude is a cannon ball w/legit power & tackle breaking ability. I think Allgeier’s the perfect RB2 to pair w/AK.

Love the way he runs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom