Should we give up next year's first to move up in the draft? (1 Viewer)

Should we trade our 1st rounder to move up?

• Total voters

bergeaux

Building my own team!
Reaction score
OK, up until now, I have only seen people suggesting that we give up a 2nd or 2nd and 3rd to move up for Dorsey or Ellis. Now I am seeing people seeing people suggesting that we give up next year's first rounder to move up.

This is crazy to me. I am curious as to what people think.

No, I'd rather not. I really want to see us get Dorsey, but I'd rather give up this year's 1 and 2 (going by the new chart) then next year's 1.

Typically, future #1's carry similar value as current #2's. But to me, trading away a #1 really hurts your flexibility (trade down to pick up a couple 2nds, trade up if you want, etc.).

I think thats too much...the Saints should still be able to move up without giving up next years 1st.

Dorsey is phenomenal, but not for 2 first rounders. It is already a gamble to give up a high #2 with so many impact defensive players who will be there. Will Dorsey have more of an impact than a DRC or Leodis and a Trev Laws? Will Dorsey have more of an impact, with the loss of a second, than will Ellis and the loss of a 3rd? If the team wants to give up a second to get Dorsey, I am for it. However, not for two #1's.

It's early, so I'm not sure if I thought this through well enough.

I'm going with getting Dorsey only (homer pick) for next year's 1st because with Dorsey alone, he drops our 1st round pick into the mid to late 20s by himself next year (hopefully to #32). 1st rounders are always crucial picks to a team, but I think we can live with this.

1. Dorsey
2. Mayo or Phillips
3. LB or CB

BTW, I am not completely against Ellis and would be happy to land him if not Dorsey.

Based on what trade chart would we have to give up a first rounder?

Interesting, no one says lose a first for Ellis, but four say yes for Dorsey. Is he that much better than Ellis?

Can the 26th just get here already?! I have gotten to the point now where I am confusing myself talking all the different things we could do!! Whatever we do, please just let it be the right moves!!! - Good moves on draft day = Championship!!!

I believe that giving up next yera's 1st would be well worth it... especially if we're drafting in the late-20s/early 30s... it'll be almost like giving up a 2nd rounder anyway.

I'd like to keep our 2nd and 3rd rounder this year because we have holes to fill... and giving a team in the top 5 next years 1st along with the #10 pick for Dorsey would be GREAT if we can keep our picks this year we can still get our OLB and CB/TE in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I believe that giving up next yera's 1st would be well worth it... especially if we're drafting in the late-20s/early 30s... it'll be almost like giving up a 2nd rounder anyway.

I'd like to keep our 2nd and 3rd rounder this year because we have holes to fill... and giving a team in the top 5 next years 1st along with the #10 pick for Dorsey would be GREAT if we can keep our picks this year we can still get our OLB and CB/TE in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

As much as I believe we are going to have a good year, that is like saying, "I'm going to go ahead and borrow $100K now, because I am going to make $100K next year." When you have only made $100K once in the last 8 years. You're betting on something you don't know for sure. It's a risk not worth taking.

I read another poster who said that, were a couple players away from being a contender, unlike the Dolphins or Raiders who need to stockpile picks to build there team up....we pretty much have our core players (specially on offense) so I'm for using some of this years picks to move up to get a Dorsey or Ellis (1st and 2nd rounder) and getting corner and or linebacker help with our 3rd rounder (bpa) and take the best availabe from picks 5-7...but if we cant do that, i say just stay put and and go back to plan A (Rivers)

As much as I believe we are going to have a good year, that is like saying, "I'm going to go ahead and borrow $100K now, because I am going to make $100K next year." When you have only made $100K once in the last 8 years. You're betting on something you don't know for sure. It's a risk not worth taking.

well, I've to admit that you're absolutely right but I really think in the way Saint Droopy does. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I have a good feeling about our next season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom