Question Should we look to upgrading the Line Backer position in the Draft? (1 Viewer)

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
We all know and have been discussing up grades on the D-Line, but should we look to upgrading the LB position through the draft or free agency?
I believe we should. Mario Davis isn't getting any younger and sooner or later we will need to draft or bring in through free agency, his replacement. Also we drafted D'Marco Jackson, but he's been on IR since preseason. So we haven't had any time to evaluate what he can bring to the linebacking corps. He was very talented and productive at App St. in college. Our top priority on defense should be re-signing Kaden Ellis. He really started coming into his own this season, I think the light has finally come on for him. He's getting better in coverage and his run defense has gotten better and he's good as a blitzer. We have a star in the making with Pete Werner. The rest were all late round picks and were undrafted rookies. I do see some potential in Nephi Sewell. Hopefully he can show some progress and lessen the priority to use a high draft pick on a LB and wait to draft one in the latter rounds. So what do y'all think about it?

Crazy to think that Davis could be the 3rd best lb on the roster. If they don't do something crazy like cut him due to cap numbers we should be set

Crazy to think that Davis could be the 3rd best lb on the roster. If they don't do something crazy like cut him due to cap numbers we should be set
I don't believe we're set. if any one of the starters go down with injury (God forbid) What do we have behind them that could come in and make consistent contributions. Look at last season when Werner was out for a stretch. We had players that were barely keeping up and the defense struggled some without Werner. We had Nephi Sewell come in and he did a decent job, but he had some missed tackles and sometimes completely over-ran the play. We had Eric Wilson on the practice squad that came up for a couple of games, but he has slowed some and didn't make some plays he should have and that's about it. We also have Dowell, but he's just a special teamer at this point. I'm hoping D'Marco Jackson can make some progress and come in and make some consistent contributions this season and stay healthy. He did show some promise in the preseason before he got injured.

Saints really need to address the offense. A good offense does wonders to help out the defense. N.O needs to find a way to improve an offense that was putrid the final 6 games of the year.

If we can re-sign Elliss then I would only say draft that position in later rounds if value is there.

I feel like LB should be somewhere after:

Franchise QB,
DT,
DT again,
G,
WR,
RB,
TE,
DE,

Actually it might be the least necessary position behind Long Snapper

Defensive line is much more alarming than Linebacker. While the depth at linebacker is worrisome, the defensive line has no genuine starter at either tackle position and the reality is Jordan is old and falling off and Granderson is solid, but he is only one man and we all saw what happened to Jordan for most of his career when he didn't have any help on the line.

Aside of resigning Ellis all our linebackers are in place, the Saints need to add to the defensive line and safety, but we should be investing more on offense namely tailback, offensive line and of course QB.

Only if they lose Kaden Elliss… which they will if they let him hit free agency.

He needs to be re-signed prior to the start of free-agency and set up for a featured role when Demario Davis departs…

Otherwise, he’s likely a Falcon.

…and then LB is a need… AGAIN.

Baun is a bust… Dowell is Dowell… and Sewell ain’t it.

If we do look for a linebacker, I hope it would be through FA and not the draft. Hopefully the Saints can find a young up and comer that's not going to be too expensive. Hopefully the Saints can find enough good players in free agency to shore up the offense and defense and then the Saints can draft BPA at positions of need throughout the draft.

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom