Should we pull a Bellichick and snatch Anthony McCoy off Waivers (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Seahawks just waived TE Anthony McCoy, who tore his achillies a few days ago and will be out 6-8 months. Brutal business but they are likely putting him on IR, but in the off season, you have to get cut first or "waived/injured"

Remember last year the Giants tried to do that with Jake Ballard, but the Patriots went ahead and snatched him off the waiver wire? Giants were shocked, but thats the risk you take when you cut a guy for a roster spot. I remember hearing that Ballard was still at the Giants facility rehabbing when he found he out he was now a Patriot, imagine the shock lol.

So, should take a shot him? Solid young TE who showed promise last year. 6-5, 259, 4.7 speed, solid blocker. Salary is tiny, probably wouldnt even be in our top 51 so cap ramifications are next to nothing. We IR him this year and get him ready for 2014? Ben Watson's pretty old so I dont think he will be here more than a year or 2.

Whatchasay?

Meh, nevermind. I see he will be a free agent after this season.

/threadfail

Question to the peanut gallery: At what point in the NFL year is the "Must clear waivers to go on IR" rule suspended?

love that you are thinking "outside of the box" . I loved the move the patriots did with Ballard.

I'm guessing this rule exists to keep teams from storing developmental guys on IR where they cannot be touched, instead of using the practice squad where anyone can pick up a guy to put on their 53 man roster.

We would have to carry him on the 53 to make it worthwhile I think. Becasuse if we claim him and then try to put him on IR we would have to cut him also just like Seattle did. Unless there is a loophole

I'm guessing this rule exists to keep teams from storing developmental guys on IR where they cannot be touched, instead of using the practice squad where anyone can pick up a guy to put on their 53 man roster.

Sean Payton has no idea what you're talking about and wants you to hush up

Yeah, it did in the career of a very good RB we used to have named Reuben Mays. If the kid is good and we could pull it off I'd be ok with it.

We would have to carry him on the 53 to make it worthwhile I think. Becasuse if we claim him and then try to put him on IR we would have to cut him also just like Seattle did. Unless there is a loophole

When you cut down to 53 you are then allowed to move players onto ir wothout waiveing them. We did it with toon last year

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom