Should we use the wham for run blocking? (1 Viewer)

Nevimeister

I was there!
Reaction score
We have clearly struggled to run the ball in many games this year. Last night when watching the Indy v New England game John Madden was pointing out how much they were using Ben Watson to come round from his TE position before the snap to take on the DT, allowing the guard to get upfield and put a block on a linebacker or safety trying to stuff the run. With supposedly strong blocking TEs do you think this would be a good tactic for the Saints to try? especially for Reggie

When you play the colts a lot of different running plays look really good.

I do have to give Madden credit for working the word Wham into his commentarty about 76 times, that my friend is not easy to do.

I think we just need to get more creative. Our line isn't on a level yet to just maul it out. We need to try some misdirections with those quick guys pulling, maybe some draws, etc.

wham.jpg

No.

Actually, I'd like to see Deuce instead of Bush be our starting tailback. I'm a little tired of all the threads about what's wrong with Reggie or how we need to adjust our blocking schemes for Reggie. Deuce is a better runner. Reggie is effective catching the ball out of the backfield on swing passes, and he could even be used as a receiver down the field more. I think they ought to use the pitch play more for him to try to get him into open space as a runner. But my one criticism of Payton is that he's trying to force the issue with Bush by making him the lead tailback when we have a bonafide top ten runner in Deuce on the roster being underutilized. That third and one at the end of the first half would have been a great time to use Deuce. Now, Tampa was loaded to stop the run, and I'm not saying Deuce would have had a great game if he'd have been the ball carrier on most of those plays when Bush was given the ball. But I think you would have seen positive yardage for 2-5 yards instead of the losses Bush was taking. Otherwise, Payton obviously called a great game, and I'm not trying to be that critical of him. I'm being more critical of the over-attention being given to Bush when we have too many other playmakers on the team.

Actually, I'd like to see Deuce instead of Bush be our starting tailback. I'm a little tired of all the threads about what's wrong with Reggie or how we need to adjust our blocking schemes for Reggie. Deuce is a better runner. Reggie is effective catching the ball out of the backfield on swing passes, and he could even be used as a receiver down the field more. I think they ought to use the pitch play more for him to try to get him into open space as a runner. But my one criticism of Payton is that he's trying to force the issue with Bush by making him the lead tailback when we have a bonafide top ten runner in Deuce on the roster being underutilized. That third and one at the end of the first half would have been a great time to use Deuce. Now, Tampa was loaded to stop the run, and I'm not saying Deuce would have had a great game if he'd have been the ball carrier on most of those plays when Bush was given the ball. But I think you would have seen positive yardage for 2-5 yards instead of the losses Bush was taking. Otherwise, Payton obviously called a great game, and I'm not trying to be that critical of him. I'm being more critical of the over-attention being given to Bush when we have too many other playmakers on the team.

Actually, if Payton keeps the attention focused on Bush, then he is much more effective as a decoy. If we can make the defense put three guys on one side of the field to contain Bush, then that opens a lot of other areas of the field for our other weapons.

Uh, "decoy" means he doesn't get the ball. I'm talking about not using him as the feature back in a role where he gets the handoffs but doesn't produce positive yardage.

Uh, "decoy" means he doesn't get the ball. I'm talking about not using him as the feature back in a role where he gets the handoffs but doesn't produce positive yardage.

I you never give him the ball, the he won't be much of decoy. It would be like running a play action off of Karney.

I you never give him the ball, the he won't be much of decoy. It would be like running a play action off of Karney.

Exactly. Bush needs to settle down and be more patient. He'll be fine. If he didn't have the talent, teams wouldn't still be designing their defensive gameplans around him. Payton's job is to win football games, not to get stats for Reggie Bush. He's doing a fine job. If it takes slamming Bush into the line, then that's what it takes. If it takes signing George Michael and the guy in the skirt, then so be it.

We do from time to time. Watch the backfield and who's in motion. When Karney isn't in, you often have a TE lining up in the backfield or going in motion. :shrug:

TPS

I'm pretty sure Deuce is still the starter just like he has been for every single game this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom