Should Yao Ming tell China he cant play in the Olympics (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This is not an NBA question as it relates to the question of the Chinese Olympics team and Yao Ming being or having his foot fracture severely broken and will require surgery. Now Yoa Ming is a hell of a player, a future HOF NBA player but the summer Olympics will be in Beijing and the world will be watching. He is in the middle of a great career but his country is calling him to do an impossible job and something that may threaten his livelihood.

Now if your Ming, would you tell China that you cant play in the Olympics and risk humilation
and scorn from your country because your not giving them your all on the biggest moment in Chinese history. I mean the Chinese government is really trying to put on a good show this Summer with the Summer games being held and they already have some controversy anyway in the political front.

If I am Ming its a problem because I am the biggest NBA player from China and want to represent my home country in raising the torch but if your body says no and you know the risks are too great to get involved?

Is saying no such a bad thing? the hell with the Olympics. If he wants to have a good career and make some continuing mark in the NBA, he should do the right thing and thats not play in the Summer Games even if his own government looks down on him for doing so.
If your body says no and he may lose your future skills, the guy should consider saying no this time around

He could always say "No" but, if he did, I would think the Chinese government would probably not allow him to come back and play for the NBA. I think they still have that kind of control.

Knowing how important the 2008 Olympics are to the Chinese, combined with his status as national hero, Yao pretty much has no choice but to rest that foot and get it to heal as fast as possible and suck up any residual pain. Not playing in Beijing is simply not an option for him.

He could always say "No" but, if he did, I would think the Chinese government would probably not allow him to come back and play for the NBA. I think they still have that kind of control.

Knowing how important the 2008 Olympics are to the Chinese, combined with his status as national hero, Yao pretty much has no choice but to rest that foot and get it to heal as fast as possible and suck up any residual pain. Not playing in Beijing is simply not an option for him.

He's in such a tough spot. The Chinese gov't needs to realize what exactly they could be doing to their golden child of basketball. It's not fair to Yao, the Rockets, and the fans if Yao aggravates his injury this summer and becomes less of a player. It's ridiculous to force him to play. He should say no, but I don't know that he has the ability to.

Unless Yao becomes a US Citizen and renounces China he is obligated to do whatever the Chinese government tells him to do. He doesn't get a choice in the matter.

I'm sure the Chinese government already has his family "under surveilance" to ensure he knows his place.

Well, as a Rockets fan, I have no problem with him playing for the Chinese Bball team. It is a big deal for him to play. According to everything I have read, the Rockets doctors have said he will be fully healed and ready to play in the Olympics with no problems. He has already had the surgery and the reports indicated he will be fully healed by June. So there really is no controversy as to him playing. And it wasn't a severe fracture, it was a stress fracture that they caught very early.

Well, as a Rockets fan, I have no problem with him playing for the Chinese Bball team. It is a big deal for him to play. According to everything I have read, the Rockets doctors have said he will be fully healed and ready to play in the Olympics with no problems. He has already had the surgery and the reports indicated he will be fully healed by June. So there really is no controversy as to him playing. And it wasn't a severe fracture, it was a stress fracture that they caught very early.

I agree- I think what matters is whether he is fully fit to play. If he is - then he should play. If he isn't, he shouldn't. I'm presuming that he would want to play if he is fit, and that if he isn't there shouldn't be any question it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom