Shoulder replacement surgery (1 Viewer)

My wife is approaching saint status. Her father is in a different hospital here in Jackson and is on his deathbed. She's something time been the two of us. I was afraid his health would turn south while I was going through this. Unfortunately, that is exactly what has happened. She's bringing food, snacks, and beverages between her coming and going. Thankfully I haven't had any setbacks today, so hopefully I'll get to leave tomorrow. It's very hard when I want to give her a hug but the mere thought makes cringe in pain. If yall are the praying kind, please say a prayer for her. She definitely needs it

Praying for both you, your wife and also your son. Hope everything gets better for your family. Sorry to hear about your wife's father. Praying for him also.

I have to look for my scar. I heard rubbing vitamin E on the scar reducing it, never tried it.

Vitamin E supposedly does. My mom (RN) swears by it after her knee replacement.

Ya know the shoulder doesn’t look as bad-bruised and such-as I would’ve expected.

My bruising is down my arm on the inside just above the elbow. it really isn't that bad though. The worst part so far is just the bone pain where the stem goes down my humerus. Here's a picture of a list shoulder I found on Google. mine looks like this, just the other shoulder182c5ba338f274107b8a3925e50a9e_jumbo.jpg

Here are my xrays. Im now 18 days post surgery. My arm still feels very heavy, and I cannot lift it much. During the surgery the surgeon detached my biceps to clean up the tendon and remove scar tissue from my original injury and first surgery. I started therapy two weeks ago. It has been pain free so far. The therapist has elevated my arm to 100 degrees on rotation which is a very good sign that I may be getting some range of motion back. The pain is minimal for the most part. My forearm pain has mostly subsided. This weekend I've been having biceps pain as Ive actually been moving my arm some, causing it to hurt after not using it much for the past 18 days.

Attachments

• IMG_20181107_112238_277.jpg
    IMG_20181107_112238_277.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1
  • 20181107_104543.jpg
    20181107_104543.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20181107_104457.jpg
    20181107_104457.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 2
Tony glad you’re getting some range of motion back. Hope the recovery continues and glad your pain is minimal.

Found out recently, and had it confirmed on a 2nd opinion, that I'm going to have my shoulder rebuilt. I'm scheduled for shoulder replacement surgery on Oct 25th. Have any of you gone through this before? I've asked all the questions I could think of to the doctor, but I was wanting to hear from some of you if you've had it done before.
My Brother-in-law has recently had BOTH shoulders rebuilt. Both surgeries were arthroscopic, and so did not require an immobilizer for 3 months. Recovery time was 4-6 months, and Will is now gradually getting back to the gym.

His wrecked shoulders were due to lifting 80-100lb packs in the US Army for 25 years. Will retired a full Colonel this past September.

Good luck to you with your surgery and recovery. If the pain is gone and you regain your range of motion, it will be worth it. Outpatient PT is absolutely crucial. Will said there were times he wanted to kill his therapist, but in the end when the shoulders were so much better, he wanted to kiss her.

My Brother-in-law has recently had BOTH shoulders rebuilt. Both surgeries were arthroscopic, and so did not require an immobilizer for 3 months. Recovery time was 4-6 months, and Will is now gradually getting back to the gym.

His wrecked shoulders were due to lifting 80-100lb packs in the US Army for 25 years. Will retired a full Colonel this past September.

Good luck to you with your surgery and recovery. If the pain is gone and you regain your range of motion, it will be worth it. Outpatient PT is absolutely crucial. Will said there were times he wanted to kill his therapist, but in the end when the shoulders were so much better, he wanted to kiss her.

Glad he’s better and full bird is impressive.
Have a grandpa that retired full bird and he gets a nice retirement. ?

Glad he’s better and full bird is impressive.
Have a grandpa that retired full bird and he gets a nice retirement. ?
The retirement is nice, but Will lives in Alexandria, VA, and says they're the poorest people on the block :hihi:

Here are my xrays. Im now 18 days post surgery. My arm still feels very heavy, and I cannot lift it much. During the surgery the surgeon detached my biceps to clean up the tendon and remove scar tissue from my original injury and first surgery. I started therapy two weeks ago. It has been pain free so far. The therapist has elevated my arm to 100 degrees on rotation which is a very good sign that I may be getting some range of motion back. The pain is minimal for the most part. My forearm pain has mostly subsided. This weekend I've been having biceps pain as Ive actually been moving my arm some, causing it to hurt after not using it much for the past 18 days.
I take a supplement called Serrapeptase (available on Amazon, like everything else) which does wonders for eliminating scar tissue. I have been taking it for a month or so, and it's made a big difference in my shoulders. Much less cracking, popping, and occasional pain which was leading me toward a possible date with an orthopedist.

Thoughts and prayers for your complete and timely recovery Tony. You are the first shoulder replacement patient I have any knowledge of. I worry that my brother may wind up following in your footsteps in the next few years. Thanks for sharing your experience. BTW- I am curious if you used Mississippi Sports Medicine for your surgery. That is who replaced my left hip a year and a half ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom