Shouldn't Colston be demanding a ne contract (3 Viewers)

Colston is a must, give him the $$$$. Him and Drew have excellent teamwork!

It might be a good idea to go ahead and pay him. Look at his first 2 years: he missed 4 games in '06 (the game he got injured in, missed 2 due to the injury, and sat the last game of the season) and he ended with 1000 yards and 8 TDs. This year, he had a 3-game stretch that was sub-par (Carolina, Seattle, and Atlanta weeks 5-7) and missed half the Philly game and he finished with 1200 yards and 11 TDs. He could actually IMPROVE those numbers.

Of course he should. He probably is. And the Saints are probably negotiating it.

None of this has to (nor should) occur in public.

Well said.

Colston has been a class player so far and it seems to be continuing. I also have to give props to the front office for this as well. If you recall, when it was time to extend McAllister it was not done in public. Colston seems to be a similar personality. On the other end, when it was time to do a new deal for McKenzie (a Rosenhaus guy) it was always kept quiet.
I think the Saints are working this deal out right now with a class player who deserves a huge deal. The only vocal issues have come during the Grant negoiations and I think that says a lot about him as a man. But he can now feed his children.
This deal will get done.

"My client demands...a shrubbery!"
The_leader_of_the_Knights_Who_Say_Ni.jpg

What's the hurry? The season is not over and free agency period (ie. the new calendar year) isn't until March.

What's the hurry? The season is not over and free agency period (ie. the new calendar year) isn't until March.

For the Saints, the season is over. A rookie cannot renegiotate his contract for two years, but can the moment his team is no longer playing. The Saints failed to make the playoffs, so Colston is free to insist on a new contract as soon as the final; whistle sounded after the Bears game.

I know there is no big rush, and these things take time, but I suggest that Colston's agent should be trying to iron out a new contract before free agents and rookies start to eat into available money. Colston will most certainly get his due, but his value to the team far exceeds what he is getting paid, particularly when you look at the play of first rounders who never do much (i.e., Meachem)

The only vocal issues have come during the Grant negoiations and I think that says a lot about him as a man. But he can now feed his children.
This deal will get done.

I do to. It says that when Loomis admittedly made a low ball BS offer, Grant was man enough to laugh in his face. He then went about his business and played hard enough to get the fair deal he got after last season. It takes a man to stand up to the man and get what you're due. A sissy little girl with an inferiority complex is the type who would have caved. Good call!

Colston is an exculsive rights free agent. Unless he threatens to sit out - which would hurt him more than the Saints - his agent cant demand a big contract. He just has no levarage.

I do to. It says that when Loomis admittedly made a low ball BS offer, Grant was man enough to laugh in his face. He then went about his business and played hard enough to get the fair deal he got after last season. It takes a man to stand up to the man and get what you're due. A sissy little girl with an inferiority complex is the type who would have caved. Good call!

So after Charles Grant underachieved this season, I guess that makes Loomis an idiot for trying to get him a cheaper price. We over paid for Grant and you can't put up a single shred of proff to prove that is not true. He is overpaid. In hindsight, we would have been better off letting him go. Just my humble opinion.

Colston is an exculsive rights free agent. Unless he threatens to sit out - which would hurt him more than the Saints - his agent cant demand a big contract. He just has no levarage.

Not yet. He is under contract through 2008. But your statement will be true then. See LSSpam's post above. :)

Yes he does deserve a new contract and yes he should get it. He is gettiong paid 7th round money (which I am pretty sure is league minium) And he is playing better than most 1st rounders....

Colston's alary per the NFLPA:
  • 2006 $275,000.00
  • 2007 $360,000.00
  • 2008 $445,000.00

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=38761

I would almost bet that he gets a new deal this year. The Saints do not have to renegotiate now, but it would seem to make more sense to do so that let him test the RFA market - even though we would get compensation for him.

I could be wrong, but I think that the Saints see him as a cornerstone for the team and someone that they want to hang onto long term...

So after Charles Grant underachieved this season, I guess that makes Loomis an idiot for trying to get him a cheaper price. We over paid for Grant and you can't put up a single shred of proff to prove that is not true. He is overpaid. In hindsight, we would have been better off letting him go. Just my humble opinion.

Actually, I don't think we overpaid for him. He is what he is - a solid run stopping DE whose pass rushing talents were not, IMHO, properly used schematically. There was a distinct difference in line play when he was out. There is more to the position than just getting to the QB, although that is the flashy part of the job and what most fans see. With the change in the DL coach, I would expect to see the pressure part of his job step up in 2008 as our DL schemes improve.

JMO.

Colston will get a good deal. He has hit some incentives that have increased his salary. He is not making peanuts by NFL standards. His pay will match his performance, hopefully before the season starts, the Saints will have a new deal in place. If not, he will probably keep his mouth shut and play, because he is a class act. There is no way he goes anywhere else.

Colston is too quiet and respectful with the way he goes about his business to take it to the public.

"My client demands...a shrubbery!"
The_leader_of_the_Knights_Who_Say_Ni.jpg

No, he definitely should not be demanding a NEE contract! No one deserves that kind of stuff.
Loomis: O Knights of Ni, you are just and fair, and we will return with a
shrubbery.
Agent: Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must cut down the
mightiest tree in the forest...
Wiiiiiithh.... A HERRING!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom