Shouldn't Colston be demanding a ne contract (1 Viewer)

saintfan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I know that Colston could not demand a new contract until the end of his second season, which ended when we failed to make the playoffs. It seems to me that his agent should have been at Loomis's desk the second the Saints lost that last game and demanded a nee contract.

He received a typical seventh round contract (minimum pay and 3 years commitment) when he was drafted and signed. He is much too valuable for that contract, and we should be looking to give him pay commenserate with his value to the team, and look at keeping him for several years.

I haven't heard anything.

Of course he should. He probably is. And the Saints are probably negotiating it.

None of this has to (nor should) occur in public.

+1 spam

if he went public with it, it could only mean 2 things:

1) the negotiations aren't going very well or
2) he is a dummy and just hurt his public image unnecessarily...

Yes he does deserve a new contract and yes he should get it. He is gettiong paid 7th round money (which I am pretty sure is league minium) And he is playing better than most 1st rounders.

He is light years ahead of Meachem (who probaly is making 10 times what colston is) Heck he has outplayed most veteran receivers in the league. I hope he gets a deal done tomorrow!!! Pay the man, keep him happy, inturn he will keep all of us fans happy and Drew Brees as well.

Show him the money. He's earned it!!!!!! Pro Bowl next year as well I hope since he got snuffed this year...

Of course he should. He probably is. And the Saints are probably negotiating it.

None of this has to (nor should) occur in public.

Exactly, this is being handled behind closed doors like it should be. For the first time since Jim Finks the Saints have a GM that can actually handle contract negotiations. Loomis knows Colston's value to the team and isn't going to let him walk. The offseason hasn't even officially started but I'm sure a new deal is on Loomis radar. His first order of business will re signing the guys scheduled to be UFAs (Stecker, Faine, Miller, etc.). Then will be free agency itself (we all know how many holes this team has). I suspect around TC or shortly after Colston's new deal will get done.

Finally wouldn't Colston be a RFA after his three year rookie contract expires? That would give the Saints the right to match any contract offer he gets. Not that I want it to come to that......

To borrow a line from David Lindley, "Write the check".

Even if nothing happens by TC, I cannot see him holding out. It doesn't seem like his nature.

Yes he does deserve a new contract and yes he should get it. He is gettiong paid 7th round money (which I am pretty sure is league minium) And he is playing better than most 1st rounders.

Last year, he made more from the league's You Are Way Underpaid Fund than he did from his SAINTS contract. Colston needs to be locked up tight, as he's one of the few pieces on the team that are solid.

I'm sure there are talks going on right now about this. He deserves to be paid like a #1 WR. Let's face it, he's the best WR we have and may even be the best, most consistent offensive threat we have. Pay him. Give the man the money and a long term deal. Heck, he may not even want all this though. Hmmmm, wouldn't that bite!

He's a true professional in every sense of the word. As long as the Saints are negociating in good faith, there shouldn't be any problem. After all, he is their guy.

Finally wouldn't Colston be a RFA after his three year rookie contract expires? That would give the Saints the right to match any contract offer he gets. Not that I want it to come to that......

Correct. The Saints, theoritically, have 2 years to resign Colston, not just 1.

Resigning him now would be an exercise in curtousy, "rewarding your players". From a business angle it would actually be smarter to not even renegotiate it now, but force him to play out his final year and then give him the top tender in RFA.

From a business angle it would actually be smarter to not even renegotiate it now, but force him to play out his final year and then give him the top tender in RFA.

Exactly. And its unusual to give players a big contract after 2 years. That would set some kind of example and other players would want some kind of raise after 2 years. If I was Jahri Evans and Colston would get a new, big contract Id want one too.

No, he definitely should not be demanding a NEE contract! No one deserves that kind of stuff.
/smartalec

I believe he should definitely SEEK a new contract, which will probably occur anyway, but I would never say he should DEMAND one, which is what children do.

Correct. The Saints, theoritically, have 2 years to resign Colston, not just 1.

Resigning him now would be an exercise in curtousy, "rewarding your players". From a business angle it would actually be smarter to not even renegotiate it now, but force him to play out his final year and then give him the top tender in RFA.

If I were the Patriots or whoever are the superbowl champions one year from now, I might be thinking surrenduring the 32nd and 96th picks in the 2009 draft would be a snip to snag a guy who will probably have 3500 receiving yards and 30+ TDs in his 1st 3 years in the league. We cannot prevent him leaving other than match an offer (which may contain a poison pill). There is a risk from Colston and his agents standpoint to wait a year, but he'll have a lot more leverage in a year with his contract up, possible to receive offers from other clubs. We need to wrap up Colston this off-season

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom