Shouldn't we go OT in the 1st round? (1 Viewer)

I agree we need a stud OLB also, but protecting our 100 Million dollar QB is top priority here.

19 interceptions. Gotta keep drew clean in the pocket

Read my first comment on this post.

Brees is one of the least touched qbs in the NFL. His INTs are him forcing big plays, not him getting pressured.

Brees is one of the least touched qbs in the NFL. His INTs are him forcing big plays, not him getting pressured.
Him being pressured constantly is what caused about the majority of those INT's. Some of them were forced balls and bad mistakes.

Worst defense EVER. You ONLY consider this if Bushrod leaves, and then you try to fill the hole through free agency first.

You could make the argument that Drew was pressing because we were playing from behind most of the time, due to the defense giving up so many points. Improve the defensive front first, everything else will improve with it

Him being pressured constantly is what caused about the majority of those INT's. Some of them were forced balls and bad mistakes.

Drew was no only one o the least sacked QBs he was also one of the least hit QBs and the least hurried.

There is no issue with our O Line. It's top 5. If we lose Bushrod and plug in a cheaper free agent we maybe end up top 10 or 15.

Meanwhile the defense is still horrible.

In the first round we should set up a nice spread and crack open your beverage of choice. Invite some friends over too. Because the team is going to pinpoint several areas that they want to use the draft to improve. Then go bpa with an eye on those areas. And untill free agency happens.. we don't know that the team needs an OT.

bushrod will leave.get a cheaper fa ot.go defense with first three picks .we can develop offensive lineman. look where strief and bushrod were drafted.need pass rushing lb.

Had Taylor Lewan and Jake Mathews not changed their minds to go back to School this would have been possibly the strongest ranked draft class for OT's ever!

And I would have said yes absolutely! OT at 15 would have been sensational!

But with Lane Johnson you'd be taking a guy who was effectively the 5th or 6th ranked tackle a mere 6 weeks ago! Will he be great tackle in the league? Very possible but these so much more glaring talent fixing to be available when we pick.

DE's Dion Jordan, Keke Mingo, Zeke Ansah, Jarvis Jones. < It's almost a dead cert that one of these guys WILL be there.

DT Sheldon Richardson.

OG Chance Warmack.

SS Kenny Vacaro.

I'll be more than happy with any of these guys!

CB Dee Milliner could even somehow slip due to some teams draft philosophy of BPA over need!

Had Taylor Lewan and Jake Mathews not changed their minds to go back to School this would have been possibly the strongest ranked draft class for OT's ever!

And I would have said yes absolutely! OT at 15 would have been sensational!

But with Lane Johnson you'd be taking a guy who was effectively the 5th or 6th ranked tackle a mere 6 weeks ago! Will he be great tackle in the league? Very possible but these so much more glaring talent fixing to be available when we pick.

DE's Dion Jordan, Keke Mingo, Zeke Ansah, Jarvis Jones. < It's almost a dead cert that one of these guys WILL be there.

DT Sheldon Richardson.

OG Chance Warmack.

SS Kenny Vacaro.

I'll be more than happy with any of these guys!

CB Dee Milliner could even somehow slip due to some teams draft philosophy of BPA over need!

Man, I really wanted Mathews! Even if we re signed Bushrod, I would still want him! He's already one of the best OTs in the nation, and he still has lotsa upside!

W/o him there, IMO, we gotta re signed Bushrod. Continuity is a MUST along the O line. We cant keep shuffling parts and expect good play. We just got Grubbs, and already have problems at RT, so we dont need more issues with possibly 2 new players at both OT spots! ( so NO to Warmack!). And with JB in, we can go with that passrushng OLB at 15!

Not having that 2nd rd pick is really gonna hurt us in this draft as well. We lost a lil wiggle room to do some good things, like maybe trade down for extra picks. But I still feel we can get a good DB and NT in the 3rd and 4th rds. Rambo or Cyprien could be there in the 3rd. In the 4th, look for a big bodied NT, like Geathers, Hughes, or Williams.

Rds 5-7, look at OT, C, CB or TE.

We dont have much money for vet FAs, but I wont be surprised if we pick up a player or 2, esp if JB is not re signed.

We'll also sign some UDFAs. RB comes to mind, esp if CI leaves, and we could use another TE, if we dont pick up one in the draft or FA.

I do not believe with today's spread offenses you require a great LT. Bushrod will likely be shown up if he signs elsewhere. Given Drew's quick release, our ability to find offensive lineman in later rounds and historically bad defense (further complicated by transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4) we have to go front 7. The first year the Texans transitioned to 3-4 they selected JJ Watt in the 1st and Brooks Reed in the 2nd (Mercilus Whitney in the 1st a year later). Had they not done that Houston's D would be getting lit up.

Joe Staley and Bryant McKinnie will become the first Super Bowl Left Tackles taken in the 1st round since 2006 (10 non 1st round Super Bowl LTs). McKinnie however was picked up as scrap by the Ravens.

2007 and 2011
David Diehl New York Giants Round 5 pick 160
Matt Light New England Patriots Round 2 pick 48

Chad Clifton Green Bay Packers Round 2 pick 44
Jonathan Scott Pittsburgh Steelers Round 5 pick 141

Jermon Bushrod New Orleans Saints Round 4 pick 125
Charlie Johnson Indianapolis Colts Round 6 pick 199

Max Starks Pittsburgh Steelers Round 3 pick 75
Mike Gandy Arizona Cardinals Round 3 pick 68

Not unless the OT can play DT like a beastly Walter Thomas.

What we do in draft depends on what we can achieve in free agency with a very limited cap.
We might be able to get a decent LT in FA if we lose bushrod. I believe someone will greatly overpay him.
I keep hearing people say DT but i think we have a decent front 3 for running a 3/4.
We have LBer caple of starting in a 3/4 but might to draft a elite pass rush OLB.
Biggest need is secondary for the defense.

On offense we need alot of help on o-line. Taking into consideration we will probably loss bushrod to FA and the fact that brown has yet to develope into a starter. Also Center play is severely lacking.
If we do not go OT in the first round we will probably go best defense player available in one othe the need positions( CB, Safety, OLB)

Losing Bushrod won't affect our cap issue at all. He isn't counted against it and we're still 31st out of 32 teams in terms of being over! If/when we lose Bushrod we won't get an upgrade in FA. We really aren't going to be major players in FA this year!

And to the guy who'd trade 20 sacks of Brees for 10 more on D... um WHAT?!? You'd willingly expose the ONLY reason we're an elite team to THAT kind of injury risk? You get we're not playing Madden with injuries turn off right here, yeah? We are an offensive team, of Drew goes down it doesn't matter if we drafter DeMarcus Ware mk. II on defence; we're done. You don't play around with those sorts of things!

If Fisher or Joeckel is there, you take them at 15. If not you look long and hard at Johnson or trading down. If neither of those options are available you take a defensive player and consider trading one of next years picks to get back in to the second to get a tackle, unless you have someone you LOVE later in the draft.

OT is our biggest concern right now; we won't be able to keep Bushrod, much less get Long, Clady etc. We do not have a staying LT on our roster and we must protect Drew "The Franchise" Brees.

PS. The reason the sack numbers are low isn't cos the line is great btw. Our tackles last year were poor. However Drew has incredible awareness, a lightning fast release and sneaky athleticism to escape rushers. But if you think the increased pressure didn't lead to more turnovers and effect the whole Offense, you're be wrong.

I just don't believe you can have the worst Defense in the HISTORY of the NFL and not go defense with your first pick. We have the elite offense. We are just lacking that pressure on D that forces the other team to give the ball back to our offense.

Your comment was wrong.

Brees faced more pressure from his 'Blind Side' than almost any right handed QB in the league this year. In PFFs own words "Bushrod played like he hated his Quarterback". If you really think that didn't effect his timing... well I'd pretty vehemently disagree.

Oh and since the Centre was mentioned; DLP actually received the highest end of year grade of anyone along the line (Bushrod had the lowest). DLP is consistently undervalued around here but it's about time we started championing him as another great find by our former OL coach!

I agree we need a stud OLB also, but protecting our 100 Million dollar QB is top priority here.

19 interceptions. Gotta keep drew clean in the pocket

Hey welcome to the board but panic post like WE NEED to or WHY DON"T WE don't go well here. The Saints have selected players in late rounds and had success yes and that is even on the offensive line.

So WE don't NEED to do anything but make sure we get players who can help this team get back to the Super Bowl. I trust the guys on Airline drive understand exactly what needs to be done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom