Shout out to Dennis Allen and the defense (1 Viewer)

Not sure if throwing on three straight downs and burning 9 seconds off the clock in the 4th quarter was being ultra conservative.

Can I introduce you to the 1980/90's saints where we go ultra conservative while the defense is playing prevent, then we quickly go 3 and out on 3 straight passes once the other team catches up?

They set the tone with the first defensive stance.

Panthers had a short field after Brees' fumble. Marched down and Ginn's "TD" was overturned. First and goal at the one. Stuffed the run, sacked Cam, tipped pass - forced a field goal.

Special Teams Moment #1 - Vaccaro runs into the kicker

First and goal at the two. Defense holds again for three downs. Panthers actually lost big yardage on both sets of downs.

The 3rd and 10 at the end that sealed the win for the Panthers hurt. The four-man rush actually had good pressure. Cam made a good throw off his back foot and Moore gave too much cushion. Robertson made a good attempt to separate Benjamin from the ball, but he held on.

On the night Cam was 14-33 for 192 passing - but two backbreakers - the TD to Ginn before the half and the 1st down pick up mentioned above. Held Stewart to 1.7 yards per carry on 18 carries. He usually carves us up.

Special teams and turnovers, once again, are keeping us out of the win column too many times.

I love what's happening on defense. We are getting good, consistent pressure with a 4 man rush. And all of sudden we have linebackers who can play. I'm not even mad about the long TD. It was a great throw and catch and Robertson was in place. It reminded me of Vilma.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The defense is getting solid. They have sure found a good group of young db's by accident.

Yeah I agree the defense did their job. Turnovers on offense and poor play from special teams are to blame for the loss, the Saints D did a fair job of containing the Panthers offense.

After being put in bad positions by the offense they only gave up 23 points. We always say that if our defense can hold teams to around 20 we like our chances.

Our most consistent side of the ball is failing us with bad turnovers, and now we can't block for kicks.

We got a week and a half to get out **** together.
I was just thinking about this after I worked out this morning..

First fews weeks our Offense was rolling not turning over the ball but the D was terrible..now our D is playing pretty good and our O can't keep the ball..turning it over every game now.

Not one to ever put blame on Drew but his turnovers last night cost us the game.

Also, I like Lutz kicking..so straight and beginning to have confidence that he'll make whatever kick but he has to get his kicks higher..no way that one should have been blocked by a defender 10 yards away.

Meh. We had success early in the game with a 4 man rush...we ratcheted up the pressure on 3rd downs in the middle of the game, and Newton was capitalizing. I love aggressive ball, but for once in a decade I actually thought our front four was up to the task last night (and last week for that matter, tbph).

I was hoping they would do exactly what they did, which was to drop in coverage and make Newton hold the ball. I thought that was the smart play in that situation, at least in terms of blitzing. I thought Chris Collinsworth was pretty clueless in his assessment. We hadn't blitzed and forced a tackle short of the sticks all night.

Right. Cam just made a great throw under pressure and Benjamin is just too dang big.

In hindsight... I just wish our guys would have better recognition of who was running in their zone, and plastered Benjamin and Olson. Make one of those other bums beat you.. but neither of those 2.

If we could ever get our "normal" offense and this "new and improved" defense to show up at the games together... its gonna be unfair for our opponents.

And we don't need GREAT special teams play... just a solid unit that doesn't lose games.

Saints defense has only given up 97 points in our last 5 games.

19.4 points per game.

And we are 2-3 in those 5 games.

1. Chiefs scored 20. Got 7 on pick 6. Plus our offense had 1 lost fumble.

2. Seahawks scored 13. Ingram's fumble return for 7.

3. 49ers scored 23. Offense scored 41 with no turnovers.

4. Broncos scored 18. Special Teams gave up blocked FG for 7 (he stepped out). Offense gave up 2 ints and 2 fumbles
Time of Possesion was 20:38 to 39:22

5. Panthers scored 23 that includes the blocked FG that led to a TD. And our offense had 2 more turnovers. 1 int and 1 lost fumble.

Can I introduce you to the 1980/90's saints where we go ultra conservative while the defense is playing prevent, then we quickly go 3 and out on 3 straight passes once the other team catches up?

No, I'm very familiar with that great coaching job of Mora (sarcasm).

I was just referring to the point that you said that Rivera went ultra-conservative, when he called three straight passing plays that were incomplete and stopped the clock. That is acutally when Rivera should have RUN 2 times and maybe called a conservative pass call to keep the clock runnning.

Too bad he blew the 3rd and long call that ultimately lost the game

Alothough I think Sterling Moore gave up too much cushion, that play was on Vonn Bell. Got sucked in too far on a big slow fullback 5 yards away from the 1st down.

Saints defense has only given up 97 points in our last 5 games.

4. Broncos scored 18. Special Teams gave up blocked FG for 7 (he stepped out). Offense gave up 2 ints and 2 fumbles
Time of Possesion was 20:38 to 39:22.

Broncos got 2 points for the blocked XP. It's blocked FGs that you get awarded 6.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom