Shreveport Times: "Saints stealthily may have found the next Drew Brees" (1 Viewer)

StJacques

All-Pro
Reaction score

Personally, I think the author of the article pushes it a bit because, in my opinion, the title "the next Drew Brees" should not be given to anyone. But it does make for a good read:

BATON ROUGE – Rare is it when an NFL head coach can go to a Starbucks, go to a Subway, board a plane in a major airport, land in another airport and return home without being Tweeted, Facebooked, Instagrammed, Pinterested, Tumblred (They still have that one?), scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, diced, peppered, capped and topped (The last two are not the same thing at Waffle House.).

But Saints coach Sean Payton did just that last Monday when he went up to Fort Collins, Colorado, and worked out Colorado State quarterback Garrett Grayson. . . .

Read more at: Saints stealthily may have found the next Drew Brees

What I found most interesting was Payton's comment that, after Winston and Mariota, Grayson was the only other QB they were willing to draft.

I'm excited to see what he can do with Drew and Payton's leadership. All of the women in my family are excited to have him on the team for another reason....

I like him just because he holds his non-throwing hand just like Brees

Attachments

• New_Mexico_Bowl_Football.4.jpg
    New_Mexico_Bowl_Football.4.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 57
It explains why the Saints took him when they did. Cleveland's pick was coming up and the Saints knew that Cleveland had visited him.

If Grayson can clean up those INT's, get quicker at working his progression, we have a QB.

“I’m coming to compete like a starter, like anybody should,” Grayson said. “But I have no problem sitting behind a Hall of Famer like Drew Brees and learning, just like Aaron Rodgers did with Brett Favre. I’m not just saying this, this really is a dream come true for me.”

I think he can be just as good as Aaron Rodgers with 2 years behind Drew...We may have found a gem

Personally, I think the author of the article pushes it a bit because, in my opinion, the title "the next Drew Brees" should not be given to anyone. But it does make for a good read:

What I found most interesting was Payton's comment that, after Winston and Mariota, Grayson was the only other QB they were willing to draft.

Agreed. Payton said if Grayson was gone we wouldn't have drafted a QB at all. So he's pretty much hand picked.

If Grayson can clean up those INT's, get quicker at working his progression, we have a QB.

He only threw 7 picks last year to over 30 TDs. Plus, he was the 5th most accurate passer.
He also had an injury to his throwing shoulder.

He only threw 7 picks last year to over 30 TDs. Plus, he was the 5th most accurate passer.

His problem is his delivery will have to be tweaked and like all college QBs, he's nowhere near an NFL level at making reads.

But if he learns over the next three years and puts the work in, he's got the talent to be special.

I like the pick. I don't want to see us with empty cupboards and no plan once Drew finally does have to hang it up.

It's nice to feel some comfort in knowing that the guy is being groomed to be brees's replacement.
It settles a question we have all had.

This is going to make next year real interesting. If the team doesn't get Brees an extention next year he becomes a UFA in 2017 since they won't use the franchise tag (it would be his 3rd and the cost would be about 43m) and I can see a bidding war for him much like with Manning a couple years ago.

I like him just because he holds his non-throwing hand just like Brees

Now we know what traits really make a successful QB in the Sean Payton system.

What I want to know is who kidnapped the real Glenn Guilbeau and is impersonating him as the author of a positive Saints article.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom