Shrimp stew recipes??? (1 Viewer)

SaintShane

All-Pro
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a good shrimp stew recipe?

Got some nice fresh shrimp and wanna cook a good stew tonight.

Thanks

Can you call it "stew" in Houma? I thought there were laws against that.

:smilielol: I love all these recipes like I can run out to the store and get seafood stock. It either Etouffée or Fricasse but not stew or stoup

I saw seafood stock at rouses the other day. I would dare use it though. It was made with cod I think.

Did someone say shrimp
bubba.jpg

Rouse's is about 15 miles from me if not further so I don't get that way very often. But I do use beef and chicken stock and when I can find it pork. Makes a huge difference in taste.

My Maw Maw made the best shrimp stew. Those of you who are not familiar with the term "stew" are clearly not from Acadiana.

Basically for me, Shrimp Stew is a thicker cajun gumbo (more roux, no okra), with boiled eggs cut in half added. :)

Fricasse is thicker than that, the roux can almost hold up your fork :plus-un2:

Now I am hungry for a shrimp etouffee' :no::covri:

Make a medium roux, add diced white onion and celery. Cook for a minute, then add shrimp (season shrimp first). Add crushed garlic. Add chicken stock. Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste. Simmer and serve over rice.

If you want to get a little different add some red wine or white wine. I prefer red, it gives it a really nice flavor. You can add dark beer, as well. Fresh herbs are always nice too, rosemary and basil are usually what I add.

And we just call it shrimp and roux.

Make a medium roux, add diced white onion and celery. Cook for a minute, then add shrimp (season shrimp first). Add crushed garlic. Add chicken stock. Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste. Simmer and serve over rice.

If you want to get a little different add some red wine or white wine. I prefer red, it gives it a really nice flavor. You can add dark beer, as well. Fresh herbs are always nice too, rosemary and basil are usually what I add.

And we just call it shrimp and roux.

No chicken stock or celery for me!

My method is pretty simple...

Make a medium/dark roux (Or use Savoie's Dark Roux) and pour roux into thick magnalite type pot. Add water but make sure that it is still thicker than gumbo. Add diced onion and bell pepper. Season with Tony Chachere's and Granulated Garlic. Add blue point lump crab meat or split crabs and boil at medium heat for 25-30 minutes, then add boiled eggs cut in half, and shrimp. Bring to boil for a few more minutes and serve over rice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom