Shutdown Idea (1 Viewer)

I understand the theory but who's delivering the free health care if you "shut the country down"?

How do we keep the lights on? Heat our homes? Feed ourselves?

Are we foraging for food and burning wood or are we asking some people to work and not others?
Understood, but something has to give. I'm tired of going through this. A modified phase is not going to work.

Do you give every person the same amount or do you base it on their income?

Who decides what workers are essential? Employers?

What incentive do people have to go to work if they can just stay home and receive the same money?

Do you give every person the same amount or do you base it on their income?

Who decides what workers are essential? Employers?

What incentive do people have to go to work if they can just stay home and receive the same money?

Base it on income.

Can we shutdown phones, internet, electric power?
Do farmers get to work?
Do stores stay open?
How about Plumbers when your toilet breaks?
How about the accountants that handle the books for the Power Company?
How about Banks?
How about the guys that fix the printers at Banks?
How about the guys that deliver paper to the banks?

Simple ideas arent immune to logistical problems.

So everyone can quit their jobs and receive the same money for 6 months?
Then go right back to their same jobs after the shut down and employers have no option but to let them come back?

Does this go for doctors and nurses too?

Can we shutdown phones, internet, electric power?
Do farmers get to work?
Do stores stay open?
How about Plumbers when your toilet breaks?
How about the accountants that handle the books for the Power Company?
How about Banks?
How about the guys that fix the printers at Banks?
How about the guys that deliver paper to the banks?

Simple ideas arent immune to logistical problems.
Shutdown everything

Do you wanna keep going through this?

Looks to me like you didn't think this through rationally.

It would be impossible to shut down everything, you need people to continue working at places like power plants, sewage facilities, hospitals. and many more places that all are needed for a functioning society.

Your shutdown everything argument is about as realistic as people who say taxation is theft and don't want to pay any taxes.

So the rhetorical responses are essentially ‘we can’t create the perfect solution so your good solution is bogus’
Any solution is going to have its issues, but we’ve seen that the wishcasting we’ve done the last 9 months has created many more issues than it’s solved
The stimulus we got in late spring had an economic boost ad there were only a few anecdotal examples of leaving jobs and just collecting checks (using that rhetoric shows how little people understand the dire straits most low wage workers are in)

may some point we will need to be proactive- the problem won’t fix itself
We’ve tried the ‘throw money at industry and it will get to people’ approach plenty and it’s done precious little for people who really need help
Let’s try a targeted approach that actually helps people

Looks to me like you didn't think this through rationally.

It would be impossible to shut down everything, you need people to continue working at places like power plants, sewage facilities, hospitals. and many more places that all are needed for a functioning society.

Your shutdown everything argument is about as realistic as people who say taxation is theft and don't want to pay any taxes.
Well I guess it will keep spreading.

Shutdown everything
Well, you can't shut down the police and fire, they need to go out to handle emergencies. And then you can't shut down food delivery systems (including packaging and farming and delivery to the end user) and then when their trucks break down, the mechanics have to handle it, so they're out there. And then then doctors and EMTS because there are still heart attacks and shootings and they all need clothes, so we have to keep the textile production (or at least shipment systems) open and then there's all the administration and regulatory systems in place to make sure contraband isn't coming into the country instead of clothes and there you have it, no shut down.

You're basically arguing for Basic Universal Income. I think we're going to get there at some point. I'd like to see more research on human behavior in a UBI economy but I'm generally supportive of it. Frankly I think it and universal healthcare are going to be required at some point in order to save Capitalism from itself.
Yang’s approach is actually a pro-capitalism take
I hope it gets a full throated discussion

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom