SI Article about XFL’s top QB (PJ Walker) maybe being an option for the Saints... (1 Viewer)

NatureBoy

16x World Champion
Reaction score

Ultimately the writer compares the abilities, and futures of Taysom vs the dazzling QB of the Houston Roughnecks, PJ Walker.

Personally, I don’t think PJ is NFL QB material. Not right now at least. He’s a one read passer in the XFL. Can you imagine him trying to master Sean’s system? Maybe over time, but I think PJ is an exciting athlete. Maybe Taysom is creating a path for guys like PJ, and the St Louis BattleHawks signal caller Jordan Ta’Amu. Ta’Amu is similar in stature to Taysom, PJ appears to be a little shorter and lighter.

Last edited:
I suggest people try their very best to take any results from the XFL with a grain of salt.

This was at best a mediocre QB that played for Temple. And he's not some tremendous Lamar Jackson RPO machine. He ended up with -100 net yards rushing as a senior after accounting for sack yards.

Ultimately the writer compares the abilities, and futures of Taysom vs the dazzling QB of the Houston Roughnecks, PJ Walker.

Personally, I don’t think PJ is NFL QB material. Not right now at least. He’s a one read passer in the XFL. Can you imagine him trying to master Sean’s system? Maybe over time, but I think PJ is an exciting athlete. Maybe Taysom is creating a path for guys like PJ, and the St Louis BattleHawks signal caller Jordan Ta’Amu. Ta’Amu is similar in stature to Taysom, PJ appears to be a little shorter and lighter.

?

I knew this was gonna come eventually.

The XFL has a lot of talented players, but let's pump the brakes on QB's right now.

Walker still has a lot to learn and could potentially be a good Practice squad player for a team that can groom him.

The NFL is a whole different monster, and if I had to pick the one position in the XFL which had the biggest gap in talent from the NFL. I would say it's the QB position. Which was fully expected. It's the hardest position in football.

I'm not saying it isn't possible PJ Walker could carve out a nice career In the NFL. I'm just saying it's gonna take a lot of work.

I could name 10 QB's in this draft class alone that I like more then PJ Walker. That's just the truth.

I will say, he has the best shot of any XFL QB of making a career for himself in the NFL.

I wish him the best of luck

Last edited:
?

The XFL has a lot of talented players, but let's pump the brakes on QB's right now.

Walker still has a lot to learn and could potentially be a good Practice squad player for a team that can groom him.

The NFL is a whole different monster, and if I had to pick the one position in the XFL which had the biggest gap in talent from the NFL. I would say is the QB position. Which was fully expected. It's the hardest position in football, and is something all 32 franchises usually dont get wrong.

I'm not saying it isn't possible PJ Walker could carve out a nice career In the NFL. I'm just saying it's gonna take a lot of work.

I could name 10 QB's in this draft class alone that I like more then PJ Walker. That's just the truth.

I will say, he has the best shot of any XFL QB of making a career for himself in the NFL.

I would rather bring him in to compete and be the number 2 while brees is healthy so taysom can keep his role, then to use a draft pick on a rookie this year.

?

The NFL is a whole different monster, and if I had to pick the one position in the XFL which had the biggest gap in talent from the NFL. I would say is the QB position. Which was fully expected. It's the hardest position in football, and is something all 32 franchises usually dont get wrong.

Kurt Warner played in Amsterdam 1 year before he won league MVP and a Super Bowl as part of the greatest show on turf.

I would rather bring him in to compete and be the number 2 while brees is healthy so taysom can keep his role, then to use a draft pick on a rookie this year.

Right I hear you, and that's what the Saints will probably do, but probably not him.

You watch his tape and their is a lot of things you like, but there are also things you dont like, that he needs to get better at.

That's why I said he is a perfect PS candidate for a team. If he puts the work in, and gets with the right team, he could be a really good player

I’ve been watching pj walker and think he’s the most exciting thing in xfl but he’s thrown several passes that would have been interceptions in the nfl. I think he will eventual be on someone’s roster in the nfl but as a back up.

I think he’s 5’10 or 5’11 too. That’s probably caused him to be overlooked by most teams.

Meh, we're bring in some one else either through draft or FA. TH might be the heir but he still hasn't played a regular season game at QB. I would prefer we draft some one while Drew is still here.

Fanny Weurfel would shine in this league. Really shine.

And the USFL was a completely different colored horse. They came in flashing a lot of money and lured over some pretty big names. Trying to be too big too quick was part of the problem.

Edit: autocorrect chose Fanny but I’m leaving because I like it. ?

Fun player to watch and glad he's found some level of success beyond college. Let's look at the numbers.

COLLEGE
Cmp % 56.9
Ints 44
TDs 74
5'11" 215lbs

So maybe a switch to slot WR or RB would give him a shot?

40yd 4.74
Vert 29.5"
Broad 9'3"

Sooooo... fringe RB?

Lets look to the past.

Jim Kelly, Bobby Hebert, Doug Williams and Steve Young all played in the USFL

Herbert and John Fourcade both played in the USFL and then the Saints.

Just saying

Jim Kelly was drafted 14th overall by the Bills, but refused to play for them.
Steve Young was supposed to be an NFL 1st round pick, but the USFL threw what was ungodly money at the time at him to sign with the Express.
Doug Williams was drafted in the 1st round by the Bucs, but left the NFL and went to the USFL over money.
Hebert wasn't that good.
Neither was Fourcade.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom