SI.com's Don Banks replies to my tweet (1 Viewer)

SebaSaint

Indonesian Coon***
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
DonBanks said:
Just realized my top 3 teams in SI.com power rankings - NE, Pitts, and GB - all lost today. Back to drawing board on Wed. Balt. at No. 1?

I tweeted to him the following in reply:
SebaSaint said:
@DonBanks how bout the Saints, beat #1 Eagles D worse than the Lions?

his reply:
DonBanks said:
@SebaSaint Saints are moving up this week, but defense probably keeps them from No.1 spot. At least for now. But NFL's best offense by far.

Just kinda cool to get feedback from a national correspondent and I thought I would share. I think our defense is getting short changed a little from people who aren't watching the games, ie Pete Prisco and his "Prisco's Grades" write up. He gave us an A but referred to our D as a concern due to the yards that were put up on us... which if you watched the game, you would know the prevent/bend but don't break approach we took when the score got out of hand in the third quarter.

I think we keep up the good play in all three phases and the D starts to get their due. Us fans are already giving them credit, it won't be long before the media does.

What's different from last year is that I'm not nervous when the D is on the field and instead of worrying about a big play being made by a rookie QB in third and long, I'm actually anticipating a big play being made by our D! What a difference a year makes. WHO DAT!

I tweeted to him the following in reply:

his reply:

Just kinda cool to get feedback from a national correspondent and I thought I would share. I think our defense is getting short changed a little from people who aren't watching the games, ie Pete Prisco and his "Prisco's Grades" write up. He gave us an A but referred to our D as a concern due to the yards that were put up on us... which if you watched the game, you would know the prevent/bend but don't break approach we took when the score got out of hand in the third quarter.

I think we keep up the good play in all three phases and the D starts to get their due. Us fans are already giving them credit, it won't be long before the media does.

What's different from last year is that I'm not nervous when the D is on the field and instead of worrying about a big play being made by a rookie QB in third and long, I'm actually anticipating a big play being made by our D! What a difference a year makes. WHO DAT!

Tell him to watch the game and not rely on stats. He'll be a better sportswriter.

It's cool that you got a response but he is right. In the power rankings it doesn't matter how they got the yards, all that matters is that they got them.

We have a good number of takeaways (7) and staunchy against the run. When you're up by 3 TD's all your opponent can do is throw throw throw. Our defense numbers are skewed because we BLOW YOU OUT.

The play thus far reminds me of how the 49'ers of the late 80's were able to put big numbers up and defensively get the turnovers at the right times.

Tell him to watch the game and not rely on stats. He'll be a better sportswriter.

^This^

People seem to think that when we win in a high points game, say 40-25, it means our offense is amazing but defense is still struggling. Now I'm not going to say we're one of the top defenses in the league, but a big reason why people put up decent stats on our defense is because of our offensive style. When we move down the field and score, it's usually quickly, so our defense ends up being on the field for a really long time each game. In most games opposing offenses see the ball several times more and therefore have more opportunities to score than they would against a run-heavy team that eats up the clock.

Really you could say maybe one reason our D hasn't gotten credit so far this year is because our offense doesn't use up the clock enough on our drives, but I for one am not about to start complaining that we score often and fast. Anyway, this is just my opinion from what I've observed. To be honest I'm currently much more concerned with our ST than our D.

Its true. In yesterday's game, at one point, I told my brother-in-law that we were going to get a pic as the ball was being snapped. We got a pic on that very same play. It could just be dumb luck on my part, though! ;-)

So I guess for Don Banks SI.com power rankings, Look for the Saints to be #2 behind the Ravens. For week 1, he had Patriots, Steelers and Packers as the top 3 respectively. All three lost.

Teams in the next three spots are Ravens, Saints and Giants... all three won, however the Saints beat his #7 ranked Eagles, Ravens barely beat the #9 ranked Chargers and the Giants beat the #15 ranked Cowboys. The Ravens will probably be the #1 ranked team on his list, but I tweeted back to him that the Saints should leapfrog to #1.

Not that any of this matters anyway, just some meaningless yet fun power ranking talks.

Week 1 Power Rankings: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/09/16/week.2/index.html

Sounds like we dont want to be in the top 3 of his PR. Appears to be bad luck for the teams he chooses. Tweet him back and ask him to keep us in the 3-6 range.

Sounds like we dont want to be in the top 3 of his PR. Appears to be bad luck for the teams he chooses. Tweet him back and ask him to keep us in the 3-6 range.

:hihi:

I just tweeted to him to keep us ranked 4th all year. :9:

Thats cool Seba. I agree, as long as we keep doing what we're doing, we will get the respect that is deserved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom