Saints SI Sean Payton: Saints built teams with Free Agents & UDFA's - Mike Detillier (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score

Ryan Griffin, running backs Pierre Thomas, Lynell Hamilton, Chris Ivory, Khiry Robinson, Trey Edmunds, and Travaris Cadet, WRs Brandon Coleman, Tommylee Lewis, Joe Morgan, and Lil’ Jordan Humphrey, WR/KR Deonte Harris, TEs Josh Hill, Garrett Griffin, and Dan Arnold, T Jermey Parnell, G Ethan Greenidge, C Cameron Tom, DTs Shy Tuttle, and Taylor Stallworth, DE Carl Granderson, LBs Jonathan Casillas, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, and Kasim Edebali, CBs Ken Crawley and Arthur Maulet, S Isa Abdul-Quddus, OLB Junior Galette and S/ST standouts in Chris Reis and J.T. Gray.

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, in a weird way, Antonio Pittman became a great pick for the Saints b/c cutting him and making Pierre an eventual starter established our reputation as a mecca for undrafted free agents.
“So, we drafted a running back high in 2007 to add some depth behind Deuce (McAllister) and Reggie (Bush), but Pierre from training camp, into the pre-season games and the practice sessions was the better player. Once you are here, we are looking at that element and not how you got here. You have to do what you feel is best for the team and Pierre ends up being a really good player for us as a runner and a receiver. Our scouting department did their homework on Pierre, and he came through big. That sent out the signal that as a team, we were going to keep the best player. Keeping Pierre over the draft pick was the right choice. We have missed on players too, and maybe we didn’t have the right vision for what they could do for us, but Pierre was such a big part of our team in those years and so when I’m on the phone back then with a player or his agent I can give them an example of a player we decided to keep over a draft choice." Sean Payton

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, in a weird way, Antonio Pittman became a great pick for the Saints b/c cutting him and making Pierre an eventual starter established our reputation as a mecca for undrafted free agents.
That example has been used to death though. It was 13 years ago.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
But it's one of the main examples Payton gives in the interview.
I know. It's been used to death. If I were a UDFA it wouldn't carry much weight for me anymore because it was 13 years ago. "Remember that time we traded Stallworth and let a 7th round pick take his spot?" It's 2020 everyone. It's been so long not only are those guys retired. The guys who replaced those guys are retired.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
That example has been used to death though. It was 13 years ago.
Yeah, on this board. I doubt you can find more than a handful of articles over those 13 years about us signing and keeping UDFAs with PT23 as the main example. We've kept so many since then that he's really an afterthought in today's Saints UDFA hauls. If this wasn't a Mike Detillier piece, PT23 may not have been mentioned as more than the start of our team's history of keeping and playing UDFA's over drafted players. There have been enough examples since him but he was the biggest surprise start that started the tradition.

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I know. It's been used to death. If I were a UDFA it wouldn't carry much weight for me anymore because it was 13 years ago. "Remember that time we traded Stallworth and let a 7th round pick take his spot?" It's 2020 everyone. It's been so long not only are those guys retired. The guys who replaced those guys are retired.
You act like Shy Tuttle isn't a starting DT for us and a main part of the DL. Or Deonte Harris wasn't just an UDFA rookie All Pro. There have been countless examples since PT. IDK why you're so stuck on that one example. It even said he was just the start of a tradition.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You act like Shy Tuttle isn't a starting DT for us and a main part of the DL. Or Deonte Harris wasn't just an UDFA rookie All Pro. There have been countless examples since PT. IDK why you're so stuck on that one example. It even said he was just the start of a tradition.
Not that UDFAs can't make the team. They can. Mostly because we trade away our draft picks. Not because we cut a 4th round pick. If you want to use that example great. That's totally different than saying we just spent a 3rd round pick on a defensive tackle and Shy Tuttle beat him out for a roster spot. We always go back to 2007 on that one. But no I don't see Shy as a starter. I see him as a rotational guy who is replaceable but just hasn't been because we haven't drafted his replacement yet. I don't think he'll be on the team in two years.

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Not that UDFAs can't make the team. They can. Mostly because we trade away our draft picks. Not because we cut a 4th round pick. If you want to use that example great. That's totally different than saying we just spent a 3rd round pick on a defensive tackle and Shy Tuttle beat him out for a roster spot. We always go back to 2007 on that one. But no I don't see Shy as a starter. I see him as a rotational guy who is replaceable but just hasn't been because we haven't drafted his replacement yet. I don't think he'll be on the team in two years.
OK then. You have much less faith in our FO than most of us do then. Plenty UDFA's have built careers that started here, whether with the Saints or another team. Carl Granderson was the highest paid UDFA last year and came here to play. You think he'll be gone in a year or two? I don't and don't think most fans do either.

And you conveniently didn't address the UDFA All Pro KR/PR who's also being worked into the offense from just last year. Why only mention Tuttle?

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
OK then. You have much less faith in our FO than most of us do then. Plenty UDFA's have built careers that started here, whether with the Saints or another team. Carl Granderson was the highest paid UDFA last year and came here to play. You think he'll be gone in a year or two? I don't and don't think most fans do either.

And you conveniently didn't address the UDFA All Pro KR/PR who's also being worked into the offense from just last year. Why only mention Tuttle?
Yes I think Carl Granderson will be gone in a year or two. What has he done? 8 tackles and a sack? It's not like he came in and set the world on fire when Davenport and Hendrickson were hurt. He's replaceable. Tuttle, Stallworth. Most of the UDFAs that make the team are just depth guys making the roster because we didn't have a full draft. Deonte Harris is a keeper. A lot of kick returners come into the league as UDFAs though. It's nothing special with us.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
false. Kept JT Gray over Jamerson less than two years ago.

Im sure there are others.

Quick look for the year we drafted that horrible tackle out of FSU and see if a UDFA OL made the team that year. JT Gray is a special teams guy. He basically took Chris Banjos spot. And as soon as JT Gray is making vet money and we can replace him with cheap a rookie, we will.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Quick look for the year we drafted that horrible tackle out of FSU and see if a UDFA OL made the team that year. JT Gray is a special teams guy. He basically took Chris Banjos spot.
And it still proves Payton’s point: he can call agents of UDFAs while recruiting them and factually explain that they will gladly cut a draft pick if a UDFA outperforms him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CSC Slack: Top Five Most-Hated Players from the Division in the Payton-Brees Era Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints vision for versatile rookie LB Zack Baun includes maximizing pass rush skills Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Why the Saints could win it all, Part I - Offensive line Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 8: Demario Davis supports black national anthem play and a potential cornerback the Saints should look at Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Forum Censoring Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 61
Cincy Saint Saints @ Falcons on NFLN Tuesday night 8E/7C Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Nolaboy1970 Saints Saints 2009 season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Dan in Lafayette 10 questions with New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Dennis Allen SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Eyeing Up the Enemy: Denver Broncos SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints can extend dominance in Prime Time Games for 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dre Kirkpatrick an interesting free agent option remaining for the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 7: Jonathan Vilma talks on his move to broadcasting and Saints OC answers questions Saints RSS News Feeds 0
7 Pro Bowl Linebackers in a game (92 Saints Bills) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32
Andrus Saints Countdown to NFL Kickoff 2020: #70 Jammal Brown (July 5th) SR News Page Articles 0
Johnson: Maybe it's not fair to compare Saints' Tommy Stevens to Taysom Hill — but it's hard not to Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus What NFL teams best prepared to lose a QB to coronavirus? Ranking 1-32 | Saints’ Jameis Winston or Cowboys’ Andy Dalton No. 1? SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints D-line coach says Marcus Davenport 'definitely has room to get better' even after strong second season SR News Page Articles 0
Saints UDFA Profile: Michigan State linebacker Joe Bachie Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Holiday happiness is remembering Saints wins over the Falcons Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints expecting more from Marcus Davenport Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 3: 49ers troll Saints and when Kiko Alonso is expected to return Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints banking on healthy, enthusiastic Marcus Davenport. 'He's put the work in' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
49ers promote masks, with a shot at the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 2: Saints preseason cut in half and Deuce McAllister talks Latavius Murray Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Alvin Kamara’s cryptic tweet has New Orleans Saints fans in a frenzy SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Deuce McAllister on the Saints Running Backs SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette NFL to shorten 2020 preseason, Saints to open against Steelers on the road SR News Page Articles 0
Catching up with Deuce McAllister the Saints, the coronavirus and his golf game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL to cut preseason in half; Saints to lose out on games vs. Rams and Dolphins Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interviews: Saints legends Jonathan Vilma and Deuce McAllister Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Reliving some of our worst Saints vs Falcons memories Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints fantasy position groups: Wide Receivers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Former Saints LB Jonathan Vilma has high hopes for 2020 Saints defense SR News Page Articles 0
Fleur-de-Links, July 1: More from Latavius Murray and Cam Jordan ranks #2 in overall sacks for the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Super44 Non-Saints...but related to the virus and potential rate of infections, for college football. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Former Saints LB Jonathan Vilma looking forward to challenge of the broadcast booth Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How Saints rank in quarterback play in Super Bowl era Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints roster battles to watch on offense, part one Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints urge mask wearing Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Hall of Fame career of Roman Harper: An Interview SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints WR Tre'Quan Smith is primed for a breakout season in 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Notes & Quotes: Mrs. Benson, Brees, Jenkins,Harper, Evans, and NFLPA SR News Page Articles 0
Saints coach on the art and science of training during a pandemic — with the help of Excel Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints running back Alvin Kamara has become NASCAR’s newest, biggest fan Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Video How long will Jeff Ireland Continue his Role as Assistant Gm/College Scout Director with the Saints? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
What makes Jadeveon Clowney a perfect fit for the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, June 29: Jadeveon Clowney interested in the Saints, and how the Saints became interested in Adam Trautman Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints infatuation with rookie tight end Adam Trautman began at the Senior Bowl Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints’ QB Drew Brees to sponsor Black College Football event SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette What should the Saints do with Alvin Kamara? SR News Page Articles 0