Saints SI Sean Payton: Saints built teams with Free Agents & UDFA's - Mike Detillier (2 Viewers)

Quick look for the year we drafted that horrible tackle out of FSU and see if a UDFA OL made the team that year. JT Gray is a special teams guy. He basically took Chris Banjos spot.

And it still proves Payton’s point: he can call agents of UDFAs while recruiting them and factually explain that they will gladly cut a draft pick if a UDFA outperforms him.

Love the article but what's with the word "signaled?" Should be "singled." Three times. lol

Apparently Saint Greg thinks our FO just sucks at bringing in rookies outside of the draft while any objective person would say we have the best FO at targeting and getting UDFAs on the field.
I totally agree Our FO has been amazing at bringing in the top UDRFA's and it's gotten even better since Ireland has been here. Yes some are rotation players, but you see very little drop-off in these rotation players and some make major contributions in games.

I know. It's been used to death. If I were a UDFA it wouldn't carry much weight for me anymore because it was 13 years ago. "Remember that time we traded Stallworth and let a 7th round pick take his spot?" It's 2020 everyone. It's been so long not only are those guys retired. The guys who replaced those guys are retired.

Ok fine, so you don't wish to hear about Pierre Thomas....

Where would we have been for much of 2010 without Chris Ivory? I'll answer that one for you....the backfield would have looked like that WC game against Seattle, but about 3 months earlier..

Do the Saints win that 2013 road playoff game against Philly without Khiry Robinson?

In fact, do we know if the Saints get to 11 wins in 2013 (remember, even with that win total, they were the 6th seed) and qualify for the playoffs if not for Junior Galette having 12 sacks opposite of Cam Jordan?

People don't mention him much since he was part of the forgettable 2012 and 2014 seasons......but Joe Morgan produced a few highlight moments for us.

And while Ken Crawley didn't pan out, long term........can you deny his role in helping the team to get 2017 on track after the 0-2 start?

This doesn't even count UDFAs we've taken from other teams.........such as Willie Snead, Taysom Hill and Wil Lutz.

So while Pierre Thomas will rightfully get mentioned more than anyone else (longer tenure than other UDFAs / ended up being a key part of the SB team).........let's not pretend he's the only credible UDFA we've discovered.

Free agency has salvaged many of our "drafts." Thankfully, we are drafting better now but for several of the middle years of Sean's tenure we really sucked at the draft. I remember one poster said several years ago "why bother?"

Apparently Saint Greg thinks our FO just sucks at bringing in rookies outside of the draft while any objective person would say we have the best FO at targeting and getting UDFAs on the field.

I was reading those posts thinking, what more could the FO have done?

Yes I think Carl Granderson will be gone in a year or two. What has he done? 8 tackles and a sack? It's not like he came in and set the world on fire when Davenport and Hendrickson were hurt. He's replaceable. Tuttle, Stallworth. Most of the UDFAs that make the team are just depth guys making the roster because we didn't have a full draft. Deonte Harris is a keeper. A lot of kick returners come into the league as UDFAs though. It's nothing special with us.
I think that's pretty good for missing training camp and being in jail until about week 10 in limited playing time.

I think that's pretty good for missing training camp and being in jail until about week 10 in limited playing time.

May want to check your dates because his sack was in week 5.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom