SI writer suggesting the injury is really to Brees' shoulder (1 Viewer)

neworleanshoo

hoodat
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He was shaken up on a sack when he landed on that increasingly balky right shoulder (the play drew a pity roughing flag, by the way) in the second quarter. The Saints, somewhat unconvincingly, called it a rib injury. Brees stayed in for the remainder of the second quarter, but it was Jameis Winston under center to start the second half.

Seems an odd and unfounded take, but just adds to the total confusion about this injury. Last night the guys on WWL-TV were suggesting he likely broke multiple ribs. On the radio during the game Deuce & Zach were saying he likely strained the tissue between the ribs (you have to figure they checked him out at halftime - would he really have taken the field with the expectation to play if it was determined he probably had broken ribs?)

Every shot of Drew and every quote of everyone involved suggests it's definitely a rib and not the shoulder - not sure where this "hot take" came from. But I'll admit I'm getting more scared about all this.

I think thats part of it.

It was noted here several weeks back ( long ball absence threads ) that something was not quite right with his throws/shoulder.

You just cant continue to absorb NFL hits and expect to bounce back on 5 days rest at 41 years of age.

We know he has had some nagging stuff and I believe he is right when he says it’s cumulative, both in terms of hits and the number of nicks. But if we are force to sit him a bit to get healed up, there is at least time for that and there is a definite silver lining since “down the stench health” is a concern for a QB that age to start with.

He threw the ball a few times after the hit if I recall. If it was a shoulder injury there's no way he could have done that. I feel pretty certain it's ribs, just not sure what or how severe.
I am thinking that way too. I don't think it is shoulder, even though the hit may have aggravated it a bit. But he did throw after the hit.

I think his saying in post game its a "culmination of things" is what has led to speculation that it was his shoulder.

We know he's been nursing a bum shoulder the past few weeks. It's been taped and his participation in the open portion of practice has been limited the past two week.

He came out in the Tampa game and looked dominant in the first half. He took an awkward shot on the first drive of the Bucs game and after that, seemed a little less effective (though still seemingly ok).

He was limited again this week and in the Niners game, his accuracy looked very off. In the first few drives, Drew missed some throws he'd usually make in his sleep. He had a few moments after the hit, but I was concerned by his body language. On the TD to Kamara, he ran right off the field. Perhaps he didn't want anyone to touch him in the celebration because he was in tremendous pain.

My theory is that he hurt his shoulder and had adjusted to playing with the shoulder injury by a slight change in his physical mechanics. Once he hurts his ribs/oblique area, he could no longer adjust to the shoulder issues due to the new injury limiting his torso rotation - and he was probably in tremendous pain.

So the shoulder issue may be in play and this rib issue just set things off again.

I see why the writer is leery about the injury.

Either Drew is really good at maskimg broken ribs or the injury is just not that serious.

I mean how do you sprint off the field at halftime with cracked ribs? It's impossible.

And don't forget there was about a 10 minute lapse of time between finishing that one drive and by the time we got the ball back for the next TD drive. So how did he make it back out on to the field while just sitting and waiting and his adrenaline being reduced? It's all mysterious and you end up with an article like this.

In the televised game, we saw Drew talking to CSP and lifting his flack jacket while pointing to the rib area. He may have other issues as well, but it seemed pretty obvious that the immediate issue was his ribs. Plus they have scheduled an MRI of his ribs today. :shrug:

Brees says he was experiencing no pain, that it's hard to explain but whatever it is inhibits his ability to be effective!

He said in another interview he felt horrible on that last drive.

but him saying it wasn’t about pain but about not being able to be effective sounds more like a back issue. I honestly think he aggravated his back and injured his ribs on that play.

Any chance Brees has a problem with the higher ribs -- those right beneath the clavicle connecting to the upper part of the sternum? That would certainly affect the motion of his shoulder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom