NFL Sick and tired of hearing about Bill Belicheck (1 Viewer)

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
Still being this draft guru. Dude hasn’t drafted a pro-bowler in quite a while. I think the Patriots are gonna be terrible due to the fact that Belicheck’s drafting in the last 5 years or so has been pretty meh. Most of his first round picks have been terrible in that span. I think he has gotten to the point where he is trying to be cute or thinking he can outsmart everyone else when he should just take the best players.

It’s crazy how some people in sports get this reputation of greatness in areas and people just assume they still great at certain things when they haven’t been in quite a while. I guess when you win so many super bowls you get a reputation of being great at everything.

Someone posted a link the other day to a 20yr analysis of draft pick success and it had two standout conclusions:

1. No one 'wins' at drafting consistently

2. BB actually performs below average in drafting.

However (this part is my opinion), what BB does do better than anyone else is a) acquire picks (a 4th for a retired player FGS) and b) turn a group of players into championship teams.

Did't they draft that corner that's pretty good? You can say what you want but he's obviously doing something right to rebuild after the early 2000s and still win rings after 2012.

Someone posted a link the other day to a 20yr analysis of draft pick success and it had two standout conclusions:

1. No one 'wins' at drafting consistently

2. BB actually performs below average in drafting.

However (this part is my opinion), what BB does do better than anyone else is a) acquire picks (a 4th for a retired player FGS) and b) turn a group of players into championship teams.

I think him getting a 4th was luck. According to reports, One of Brady's conditions was that he have some say in roster construction. If Brady is pushing the issue with the Bucs that he wants Gronk, they are pretty much forced to pay whatever price New England sets. I think it's the Buc's stupidity more than Belichick being a genius.

I have a lot of respect for Belichick, and I think he is one the greatest coaches of all time. I do feel, however, that sometimes he receives undue credit for things.

Last edited:
Did't they draft that corner that's pretty good? You can say what you want but he's obviously doing something right to rebuild after the early 2000s and still win rings after 2012.
If you mean Gilmore, he was a FA. BB knows when a top CB is worth paying for. Same as he did with the last two lockdown corners they picked up in FA.

If you mean Gilmore, he was a FA. BB knows when a top CB is worth paying for. Same as he did with the last two lockdown corners they picked up in FA.
Thanks, I thought they drafted him.

Still being this draft guru. Dude hasn’t drafted a pro-bowler in quite a while. I think the Patriots are gonna be terrible due to the fact that Belicheck’s drafting in the last 5 years or so has been pretty meh. Most of his first round picks have been terrible in that span. I think he has gotten to the point where he is trying to be cute or thinking he can outsmart everyone else when he should just take the best players.

It’s crazy how some people in sports get this reputation of greatness in areas and people just assume they still great at certain things when they haven’t been in quite a while. I guess when you win so many super bowls you get a reputation of being great at everything.

I've always thought that Belichick was overrated when it comes to the draft. He trades down over and over to accumulate picks. If you have enough picks you're bound to hit on a few of them.

Since Sean Payton took over in 2006 the Saints have averaged 6 picks a year. The most picks they've had in a draft in that span was 9 back in '15. During that same time the Patriots have averaged 9 picks a season. They've had 9+ picks a staggering 10 times in the past 14 drafts.

Both teams have drafted a lot of talent using polar opposite methods. The Patriots go with a shotgun. The Saints use a sniper rifle. Makes me wonder what the Saints could do with 9-12 picks in a draft.

Still being this draft guru. Dude hasn’t drafted a pro-bowler in quite a while.

Like drafting pro-bowlers or being a pro-bowler means anything.

Whatever you think of the legitimacy of the Patriots' success - and I am in that number that thinks they have been lucky to be in the AFC East and had officiating help - Belichick gets the press because he gets the rings. He will always be remembered as the guy who drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round, even if it wasn't him who made the decision and they lucked out with Brady.

Makes me wonder what the Saints could do with 9-12 picks in a draft.
Let's hope we get a chance to find out, if the Saints finally manage to gain two or three comp picks in 2021, as so far seems to be indicated.

If they don't trade away more future picks in the next few days, that is...

The man has 8 super bowl rings. 6 as a HC, 2 as a DC.

I think he knows what he is doing, don't be concerned with Belichick.

He doesn't need a ton of talent to win SBs. Maybe he doesn't draft well, but the guy just keeps winning despite a perceived lack of talent on his teams. He is one of those guys, you don't have to like him, but you cant deny that he is unrivaled in his profession.

(a 4th for a retired player FGS)
I wish people would quit repeating this line. Gronkowski is not a retired player. Bill Belichick gave away a borderline Hall of Fame tight end to our division rivals for a bag of potato chips. Not even Zapp's, at that.

this. I don't think too many people have ever thought he was the greatest at drafting. But his philosophy of keeping his roster fleshed out by stockpiling picks has proven effective. Its just a numbers game; make enough picks and some of them are going to hit.

I think they are in for a big step back this year. But a step back in that division could somehow still find the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom