Signs Payton's Given Up on Reggie (1 Viewer)

A lot of people are going to come on here and say "the offense has been great, how can you complain" or "Brees is just hitting people further down field, so what's the issue", but I agree with you and the latter quote is 100% factual.

Brees has looked over Bush wide open in the flat for a sure first down to only target someone covered up downfield with the play resulting in an incomplete pass. With the huge amount of success Brees has had thus far, I'm not sure I can blame him for being greedy, but as good as our O has been, if he'd check down to Reggie more, we would be even better.

I'm very surprised we haven't been able to find a way to get Reggie in different matchup problems. This offense is scary when you consider one of our biggest playmakers hasn't really even been involved in the ridiculous success we've had.

I did think it was kind of weird his lack of touches in the giants game, but we won by a lot, so I'm not mad. On that note, no screens against the Gmen? Always considered us one of the better screen teams out there.

They weren't really getting enough pressure to use a screen IMO.

He is not playing Reggie when the game is out of hand. Keep him fresh. Maybe people forget about him stop covering him so tight then boom 4td day.

First off I do not think Sean Payton has given up on, nor IS giving up on Reggie Bush. However, the emergance or both Bell and Thomas in the running game as well as Shockey's apparent return to form in the middle could mean that when the time comes for a new deal for Reggie to be worked out he will not be offered that "Game Changer" typr of first round money that he may expect. I've even heard that due to his "Contract" status next season if he doesn't prove his value even that could be up in the air.

Trust me, this will be a Loomis and Benson decision more than a Payton decsion.

I don't know if he's giving up on him. I think he's just not trying to force him into the offense. I don't know...I would like to see him be more of a target in the games. I think he can do some good things out there. I have heard Payton wanting to create more opportunities for him in the return game...basically saying that he needs better blocking. I sorta miss the skill set that he brings when he's on the field...but I'll trust Payton on this one. As long as the W's keep piling up, I'm not complaining, and I'm sure Reggie isn't either.

Or a sign that they're giving his knee time to heal by limiting his playing time right now.

And it's also a sign that we're up big, why risk injury to one of the biggest playmakers....

The problem, if you can call it that, is that this team has far too many offensive weapons. Therefore the ball distribution is going to be a lot less for EVERYONE because EVERYONE will get a taste of success.

I mean, MY GOODNESS!!! 7 different players scored TDs Sunday. SEVEN!!!!!! So by your argument, Colston, Moore, Henderson, Meachem, Shockey, Thomas and Bell should all be upset because they didn't get a gang of touches.

All of these ^^. Also, I have a feeling SP just has not opened up the playbook on a lot of the "Reggie" plays yet this year. There has been no need to. He is still being used a little and used as a decoy. Possibly, he may be waiting until defenses really start to underestimate Reggie's ability and start to show him a little less respect.

As long as we are winning I have no problem with only showing "half our hand" on offense.

I get frustrated with Reggie only because I truly believe that his heart is in it but his wanting to be outstanding on every play limits him sometime. Decisions like that can hinder you in any game because it has the ability to take away your focus when you truly need it. Everybody can be a superstar on a team but you have to be a 'team' to do it not just one person wins a super bowl.
I think Peyton, has realized that the time 'is' now and with what he has, he has the right chemistry, skill and players to pull it off. Reggie fits into that scheme but in a different capactiy now having players at his position that are considerably better than him for that position. I will say that Reggie should always be looked at as a hybrid WR/RB that I believe would flourish in a wildcat type offense which sadly doesn't fit our teams profile. This year we have gone back to the basics of football 101 and that's pass, defend, run.
Any true super bowl caliber team encompasses those elements to win games, which is what we are doing now. We as fans know our guys are superstars and they know it to but their humbleness goes a long way in knowing that their ultimate goal is in reach if they just maintain the path.
I applaud Reggie for being a team player in the sense of knowing where his strength and weaknesses are and allowing the coaching staff to do what is right even if it means using him less. When he is in the game he has the potential to explode on any given play just as he has the potential to implode and we all know the ways that can happen for him. He's a quiet guy who doesn't come with the 'me first' attitude that some NFL players have, he accepts his faults and works to improve them and for that I can respect his game even more.

No way Payton is giving up on Reggie. In the past, defenses knew we would go to Reggie in certain situations. Now they have no idea because of the improved running game.

I think it's clear that every game the offense is keeping the opposing defense guessing. Reggie is like the one bullet in gun...the defense never knows when it's about to go off.

When you have as many offensive plays as Payton has combined with the fact that most ALL of them have worked. It is a matter of when, not if. We haven't seen half of the plays he has in the arsenal.

Or a sign that they're giving his knee time to heal by limiting his playing time right now.

anther injury excuse for reggie. The fact is Reggie in flats better than any player on team. Running the ball imo 4th best back behind PT, Bell, Hamilton. He is so dangerous but with his random costly fumbles and really non consistant threat running the ball. Sean is doing what is smart run the ball with two studs at RUNNING BACK in PT and Bell and use Reggie on occasional runs and short passes ....and most decoy situations. But Payton is being smart and not resting Reggie by giving the carries to the producers at running back in PT and Bell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom