Signs Payton's Given Up on Reggie (1 Viewer)

I would recommend reading these points again....
He still gets plenty of snaps. He is a very important player in what we do
Or a sign that they're giving his knee time to heal by limiting his playing time right now.
And it's also a sign that we're up big, why risk injury to one of the biggest playmakers....
Exactly, he was open three or four times I noticed in the Giants game but the downfield receivers were so wide open Drew didn't need to check down.
The problem, if you can call it that, is that this team has far too many offensive weapons. Therefore the ball distribution is going to be a lot less for EVERYONE because EVERYONE will get a taste of success.

I'm not talking about the RB position, but short passes, the guy is phenomenal, and had an enormous amount of receptions his 1st three seasons.

I agree.

Before the Bills or Jets game, I didn't agree. Now that we've established a solid running game, defenses can no longer key on Reggie. Reggie used to get laid on his back too much, and it got scary. Now, the defense can't stay in his shorts, and he should have more room to take swing passes.

Reggie's Touches Per Game (Keep in mind, we were -1 RB for most of the games):

12 vs. Kittens
13 vs. Birds
16 vs. Bills
9 vs. Jets
7 vs. Gints

With PT and MB in the rotation, Reggie's role has diminished substantially, and apparently his role/necessity in the playbook. I dunno, the guy has a couple nice seasons and deserves more support from the coaching staff to develop. We need to get our money's worth out of this guy.

FLAMERS: I'm not talking about the RB position, but short passes, the guy is phenomenal, and had an enormous amount of receptions his 1st three seasons. Not too many RBs in the league catch in the flat and puts up extra yardage like this guy. I almost want to blame Payton (or Brees) for not keeping him a visible treat in this area. We have for the last 3-4 seasons. It'll only make us better. Why stop a good thing?

PS
If the coaching staff wants to give up on him on the run, no biggie, thats substantiated. But this guy was one of the best in the league off the short dump passes, catches in the flats, screens, etc...

Dude we're 5-0 and destroying other teams. Why in the world would you want to change up ANYTHING that we're doing right now? Insanity! I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

They weren't really getting enough pressure to use a screen IMO.

Yea, agreed. The Gmen rely on getting pressure with that front 4, don't really use crazy blitzing, so I can imagine that screens weren't in the game plan. I always love to see any player on our squad receiving a screen though, exciting to watch!

Feel free to copypasta the following into every Reggie thread:

Reggie Bush is a a role player. The thing you're not thinking about is that ALL of the players that walk out onto the field are ROLE PLAYERS. In fact, that term is ridiculous. They're not role players, they each have a specific job to do and that's what they're doing. Reggie isn't getting the "touches," and so what. He's on the field doing his damn job and doing it well. How well? We're the number one ****ing offense in the NFL. That means every ****ing body is doing their jobs and doing them well.

Quit ****ing obsessing over Reggie Bush. The man is doing the job he's assigned to do. It's a long ****ing season and I damn well appreciate that it looks like the Saints are doing everything to keep all the playmakers fresh and healthy all year. Teams that have ALL their players out doing their jobs on every down are the ones that bring home Lombardi Trophies. Teams that focus on feeding one or two guys their touches are the ones that are sitting on the couch in January.

SaintsFanInLA said:
The problem, if you can call it that, is that this team has far too many offensive weapons. Therefore the ball distribution is going to be a lot less for EVERYONE because EVERYONE will get a taste of success.

I mean, MY GOODNESS!!! 7 different players scored TDs Sunday. SEVEN!!!!!! So by your argument, Colston, Moore, Henderson, Meachem, Shockey, Thomas and Bell should all be upset because they didn't get a gang of touches.
+1

Reggie's Touches Per Game (Keep in mind, we were -1 RB for most of the games):

12 vs. Kittens
13 vs. Birds
16 vs. Bills
9 vs. Jets
7 vs. Gints

week 1-2 = PT was out
week 3-5 = MB was out
week 6 = MB, PT & RB are all playing which means there won't be that many touches to go around.

thanks for playing....

I dont think payton was playing when he sat donw reggie after fumbling to the Jets. Infact I saw Payton ask him to watch Jones walk in and ask reggie to rember that. I love when reggie brings one back or dazzles...I root for him like all saints players. But the fact is he does not protect the ball consitantly and has been known for running backwards for losses. We are lucky that that jones score cus of reggie was in the 4th. Fact is if he does that in close game or early it could cost us big. Im not playing or makin up stories this is the way it is. Reffering to the thread Reggie is getting limited touches to Bell and PT due to the following......

1. They are ripping of much more postitve gains
2. They are not running backwards and getting negative gains
3. They have not fumbled as much

Look, this wasn't meant to be a depressing post on a wonderful season, I’m just pointing out areas of improvement for discussion. It is a discussion board after all. I do "feel" that there is less trust in Reggie and a TINY bit of animosity due to his high-profile contract on a very modest team. I sense a little bias that shouldn't exist. I don't think Reggie demanded that much money, he earned it through a phenomenal college career. I DO think Payton is making him "pay" for his lack of production (this season).

Come on guys, Payton has revealed that much of his personality to us fans (see: kickers, Gibbs, corners, etc...). I would be willing to bet a fair amount of money Payton (and thus, Brees) is likely decreasing his touches on purpose. You've got about the most dangerous short pass receiver in the league (good hands, quickness, etc.) and he's getting 1-2 passes a game now. And you guys apparently didn't watch the game if you didn't see about a half dozen passes that could have ended up dropped or picked. NOW BEFORE YOU FLAME ME, I love my Saints and I'm the biggest fan of Brees and our receivers, but good lord, they caught EVERYTHING practically. Brees was throwing it up like Farve plenty of times NOT including the man passes in the middle of coverage over and over. THAT is taking a chance in this league. These corners weren’t that bad either, they were RIGHT THERE. It was half luck, half skill and you better believe that won't happen every week, but Brees kept rolling the dice. And yes, Reggie was right there open in the flat a LOT times (see film). In the end, just because we're winning doesn't mean we can do better. Just because Brees is awesome and Payton is doing great job doesn't mean they're not doing anything wrong or can't improve further.

Last edited:
I think saying Payton is giving up on Reggie is jumping to conclusions. Reggie isn't the offense, he is a part of an offense that includes:

Colston
Moore
Meachem
Henderson
Shockey
D.Thomas
Bell
P.Thomas
Bush
Evans

That is an insane amount of options for Drew and Payton. Where was Henderson during the Giants game? With Moore back in the lineup and Moore, Colston and Meachem having the hot hand, Devery's role was diminished...not because Payton gave up on him, but because that's the way the game played out. You keep going to the players with the hot hand like Colston and Moore. Although against the Giants it seemed everyone had the hot hand, and 7 Saints scoring TDs shows you how well Drew and Payton spread the ball around.

The Giants game plan also had a lot to do with it. The Giants were giving up the middle of the field constantly, so Drew didn't even get all the way through his reads before he found a wide open target downfield. Also notice who was in the backfield on most of the play action and passing downs. Reggie, partly because he is a great blocker and protector of Drew, and partly because if you are going to have a check down back in there for screens it's going to be Bush. Thomas can do it too, but I believe Bush is better at screen passes. The fact that Drew didn't check down to him much was because he saw things in the Giants secondary that made him very happy. I'm ticked that we didn't leave him in till the end to throw for over 450 yards and 6 scores, because he would have.

Look, this wasn't meant to be a depressing post on a wonderful season, I’m just pointing out areas of improvement for discussion. It is a discussion board after all. I do "feel" that there is less trust in Reggie and a TINY bit of animosity due to his high-profile contract on a very modest team. I sense a little bias that shouldn't exist. I don't think Reggie demanded that much money, he earned it through a phenomenal college career. I DO think Payton is making him "pay" for his lack of production (this season).

Come on guys, Payton has revealed that much of his personality to us fans (see: kickers, Gibbs, corners, etc...). I would be willing to bet a fair amount of money Payton (and thus, Brees) is likely decreasing his touches on purpose. You've got about the most dangerous short pass receiver in the league (good hands, quickness, etc.) and he's getting 1-2 passes a game now. And you guys apparently didn't watch the game if you didn't see about a half dozen passes that could have ended up dropped or picked. NOW BEFORE YOU FLAME ME, I love my Saints and I'm the biggest fan of Brees and our receivers, but good lord, they caught EVERYTHING practically. Brees was throwing it up like Farve plenty of times NOT including the man passes in the middle of coverage over and over. THAT is taking a chance in this league. These corners weren’t that bad either, it was half luck, half skill and Brees kept rolling the dice. And yes, Reggie was right there open in the flat a LOT times (see film). In the end, just because we're winning doesn't mean we can do better. Just because Brees is awesome and Payton is doing great job doesn't mean they're not doing anything wrong or can't improve further.

His touches are decreased because our squad is completely healthy and were spreading it around. His number of snaps are the same and his role is the same so no payton has not given up on bush.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom