Simms on Dan Patrick talking about Brees/Payton (1 Viewer)

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Searched and didn't see this posted. Phil Simms was on the Dan Patrick show and was asked who had the better chance of beating the single season rushing/passing yardage mark, Petersen or Brees. He basically said "both" (settled on Brees though due to the violence of the RB position) but followed up with something like this (paraphrased):

"Payton must never sleep. I watch a lot of games and rarely see anything that I haven't seen 50 times in some form. But every week Payton comes up with a couple of plays that I've never seen before where I say "that's a pretty clever concept"."

Again, just paraphrased but I think I captured the spirit of it.

Payton is a materful play caller IMO. I think he is getting better each season. I like his gamber's attitude and aggressive mentality. We really got lucky as a franchise in 2006.

I wonder how much better Williams makes Payton and allows him to focus almost completely on the offense? Or rather, how much did Gibbs hurt Payton because he had to have his hand in the defense more, which isn't his strength and took away from his focus on offense?

We also have Pete Carmichael at the OC position this year, he has
been a constant in this Organization since Brees has been here.
i dont think he gets much credit but he deserves some.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom