Since 2001 Payton has not (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
been on a team that had a + turnover margin. From 2001-2003 the Giants were in the negative, since he was fired the Giants are +17 in the give/take away column. In 2004-2005 Dallas was -16 in the turnover department. This year they are +4. I would go back farther but I can't find statistics before 2001.

Don't get me wrong, I like Payton. Just thought that I would share these stats.

Players turn the ball over not coaches (unless you are chris selfo)

but coaching is what gets players prepared, and disciplined providing concentration. and a DRIVE to treat that pigskin like it was their paycheck.

maybe the team can go back to doing what they did with Ricky Williams Fumbling problem he had initially??
THey fined him for every fumble, or every fumble in practice, can't remember right off hand..
But that sure did cut it down..

they should put a fine for every time a player false starts or commits a backbreaking "bonehead" penalty.. not saying every hold or every tipped pass .. but stuff that is purely from lack of concentration..

Last edited:
Pretty interesting, although in his defense his quarterbacks were Kerry Collins and Vinny Testaverde.

Drew Bledsoe and Quincy Carter but now he has Drew Brees and we are -9 in the turnover ratio this year.

I understand that players make plays but turnovers is an attitude that starts at the top just like running the football.

It takes two to tango when you're talking about turnover margins, this is a misleading statistic. Turnover differential includes giveaways by the offense as well as takeaways by the defense.

What were his giveaways during these seasons? This might mean something since he was either a QB coach or an Offensive Coordinator.

If we're even going to begin to hang the TO problem on him, which is flawed logic.

Drew Bledsoe and Quincy Carter but now he has Drew Brees and we are -9 in the turnover ratio this year.

I understand that players make plays but turnovers is an attitude that starts at the top just like running the football.

how many TO has the D forced this year

It takes two to tango when you're talking about turnover margins, this is a misleading statistic. Turnover differential includes giveaways by the offense as well as takeaways by the defense.

What were his giveaways during these seasons? This might mean something since he was either a QB coach or an Offensive Coordinator.

If we're even going to begin to hang the TO problem on him, which is flawed logic.

2006 Saints: 20 turnovers 11 int 9 fumbles
2005 Cowboys: 27 turnovers 15/12
2004 Cowboys: 37 turnovers 23/14
2003 Cowboys: 29 turnovers 21/8
2002 Giants: 27 turnovers 14/13
2001 Giants 31 turnovers 16/15

Last edited:
Take the fumbles out. There is no way they have any thing to do with the coach

2006 Saints: 16 turnovers 8 int 8 fumbles
2005 Cowboys: 27 turnovers 15/12
2004 Cowboys: 37 turnovers 23/14
2003 Cowboys: 29 turnovers 21/8
2002 Giants: 27 turnovers 14/13
2001 Giants 31 turnovers 16/15

And that doesn't include today's turnovers, well, we're right on track aren't we?

Wow...Wow...Uh...Wow...Now I'm worried...Thanks.

Those suck!! But, hey we're still going to the playoffs, right?:dunno:

I still think Payton can turn this around BUT his history down the stretch was suspect in Dallas. Parcells took over the playcalling down the stretch last year after teh cowbys were playing similar ball to the saints now. I do not know how that transfers or translates to the saints but it seems ironic. The biggest issue parcells had with Payton was his playcalling was too "wide open" and the risk rewards were not worth it. Down the stretch Parcells philosophy is to protect and pound the ball more than throw all over the field. After Parcells took over last year the Dallas offense started playing much more consistent games.

Payton inexperience may be leading him to win or die with this offensive philosophy. I think its time for the saints to play smart footbal in the redzone.

Take the fumbles out. There is no way they have any thing to do with the coach

He sure got credit for eliminating turnovers and penalties during the first half of the season. Coaching isn't a one way street.

Tom Coughlin got credit for fixing Tiki Barber's fumbling problems just by showing him a better way to hold the ball.

To the other question, the D has forced 11 turnovers which is close to the bottom of the NFC but only a couple turnovers away from the NFC average. On the other hand our 20 turnovers on offense is the 2nd most (Detroit-21).

Chatawa Plan. I forgot to update that list. I changed it, thanks for the heads up.

Again, this is not a reason to panic but it is something to see if payton can change in the coming games.

Last edited:
This information is misleading. You can't look at stats for a coach from a previous team, especially considering this case, where Payton was never in the position to influence the bulk of the turnovers. I support lsu31always ... the players turn the ball over not the coached. When a quarterback should throw the ball away, it is not the coach who will use ESP extrasensory perception to influence the player to throw the ball away.

Let's use stats from the now and not the past. C'mon Katrina should have taught you to not think in the past ... think in the future guys and gals.

This information is misleading. You can't look at stats for a coach from a previous team, especially considering this case, where Payton was never in the position to influence the bulk of the turnovers. I support lsu31always ... the players turn the ball over not the coached. When a quarterback should throw the ball away, it is not the coach who will use ESP extrasensory perception to influence the player to throw the ball away.

Let's use stats from the now and not the past. C'mon Katrina should have taught you to not think in the past ... think in the future guys and gals.

Thank You

The stats from now is what has everyone so worried.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom