Since we are switching to a 3-4 defense, shouldn't we get a legit LB coach (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Linebacker play will be the most crucial in this type of defense.

We should look to hire an actual LB coach.

What say you?

Joe Vitt would like a word with you.

512x.jpg

Joe Vitt is going nowhere. He is the Assistant Head Coach for a reason and he took over as interim head coach for a reason. Payton trusts him more than anyone else on the staff. In fact, if Payton can not find the "right fit" as a new defensive coordinator or if the right fit decides to go somewhere else or stay where they are, I could even see Vitt being named Defensive Coordinator.

The guy simply brings the attitude and energy to the team that Payton wants.

As far as LB play, it's not like he has been given a huge amount of talent to work with and he actually did a good job developing Jo-Lon Dunbar and Cassilas from undrafted free agents to at least sometime starters. He even knew how to get the best out of Shanle despite his athletic limitations.

Joe Vitt is going nowhere. He is the Assistant Head Coach for a reason and he took over as interim head coach for a reason. Payton trusts him more than anyone else on the staff. In fact, if Payton can not find the "right fit" as a new defensive coordinator or if the right fit decides to go somewhere else or stay where they are, I could even see Vitt being named Defensive Coordinator.

The guy simply brings the attitude and energy to the team that Payton wants.

As far as LB play, it's not like he has been given a huge amount of talent to work with and he actually did a good job developing Jo-Lon Dunbar and Cassilas from undrafted free agents to at least sometime starters. He even knew how to get the best out of Shanle despite his athletic limitations.

I would commit suicide if that happened.

I hope so. Our LB corp has been awful for quite some time, even lofton regressed this past year

Its not necessary. You see the coaches like the DB's LB's and DL mostly teach what they are asked to teach by the D-Coordinator. They are essentially extentions. So by switching to a 3-4 either 1 or 2 things will happen. Our new D-coordinator will bring in his own guys and the LB coach will be named assistant LB coach think BLAKE WILLIAMS when 3g was here.

Or Vitt is stripped of his the LB coach title and left as assitant and the guy will bring in his own LB coach. Since Vitt is more familiar with the 4-3 it made sense that spags didn't bring a LB coach. However since different techniques will be taught its likely that the guy brings in someone.

Either way Vitt or whomever the LB coach is can only teach the techniques that they are told to teach.

So in essence its not necessary but i expect there will be another person brought in.

truth is many teams in a 3-4 have two, one for inside and one for olb/pass rushers

truth is many teams in a 3-4 have two, one for inside and one for olb/pass rushers

good point which would lend credibility to what i thought. Someone will be brought in and named Assitant LB coach and Vitt will remain in the same position working with the ILB and someone else working with the OLB.

In today's NFL, the 2 most important positions on any defense is the DL and the secondary. Teams must create pressure with their DL, and cover with their secondary. The LBs are important, just not as much as before.

The problem hasn't been the coaching; it's the players. Vitt has been a great coach. Get him better players, and they will improve. My thinking is that the Saints haven't been high on bringing in top LBs other than Vilma. The OLBs have been serviceable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom