Since when does 7 games define your career? (1 Viewer)

To answer the question in the thread title, 7 games defines your career when the totality of your career is 7 games. That's all he's played.

I'm hoping things work out, but there is no evidence to suggest that Reggie will ever be what he was advertised to be, or what you, me and all other Saints fans thought he was before the season started.

He hasn't even shown a glimpse of being a great running back. He makes a six yard run and all of us fans and the announcers and everyone else act like he did something great.

Look, we all hate when other media darlings get put on a pedastal without earning it; why should it be different because this guy is a Saint? Are we hypocrites?

You figure, if Reggie is comparable to Marshall Faulk (or even Eric Metcalf, for that matter) we would have seen a glimpse by now. A peek, at least.

What have we seen? A punt return that any decent return man in the NFL could have made and some nifty catches out the backfield. But, once I stopped sipping the Kool Aide, I realized that he hasn't really done squat. By now, we should have seen something, right?

The part that bothers me is that he plays like a ninny. He's afraid to get touched, it seems. How long is he going to be allowed by the coaches to pitty-pat around the field? Especially when he is taking carries away from Deuce, who just gets better each time you give him the ball?

I'm worried about Reggie. I'm starting to think his style will never work in the NFL, and that he can't adjust his style. Time will tell, I guess, but for now I'm not drinking anymore Kool Aide.

Welcome to the board. Your first post is very well written. It is refreshing to read posts like yours. I agree with everything you wrote.

To answer the question in the thread title, 7 games defines your career when the totality of your career is 7 games. That's all he's played.

I'm hoping things work out, but there is no evidence to suggest that Reggie will ever be what he was advertised to be, or what you, me and all other Saints fans thought he was before the season started.

He hasn't even shown a glimpse of being a great running back. He makes a six yard run and all of us fans and the announcers and everyone else act like he did something great.

Look, we all hate when other media darlings get put on a pedastal without earning it; why should it be different because this guy is a Saint? Are we hypocrites?

You figure, if Reggie is comparable to Marshall Faulk (or even Eric Metcalf, for that matter) we would have seen a glimpse by now. A peek, at least.

What have we seen? A punt return that any decent return man in the NFL could have made and some nifty catches out the backfield. But, once I stopped sipping the Kool Aide, I realized that he hasn't really done squat. By now, we should have seen something, right?

The part that bothers me is that he plays like a ninny. He's afraid to get touched, it seems. How long is he going to be allowed by the coaches to pitty-pat around the field? Especially when he is taking carries away from Deuce, who just gets better each time you give him the ball?

I'm worried about Reggie. I'm starting to think his style will never work in the NFL, and that he can't adjust his style. Time will tell, I guess, but for now I'm not drinking anymore Kool Aide.

I understand what you're saying, and I guess I should reword the title to say, "Since when does 7 games define A career." I know that its been 7 games, and Bush hasn't showed very much, but the guy is 21 years old and in his first season in the NFL. A lot of players are afraid of contact in their first season. The game seems fast for them because let's face it, it IS ridiculously faster than the college game. It takes time to adjust.

It is completely ridiculous to judge a player based on his rookie season. Look at Larry Johnson for instance. I know that he is a different player than Bush, but the guy was labeled soft by his own coach his rookie and sophomore years. Look at him now. He is one of the best backs in the league, and no one would call him soft now. Players make adjustments, and progress with each season. Bush is way too talented and too hard working to not improve. He will be a good back in time. Patience.

I honestly don't put any value in what he says. In fact, I usually expect the opposite of what he says to actually happen, but I thought that this particular statement was just ridiculous. Maybe some people do actually believe that Maroney wil be the better player, but there is no way you can determine that after 7 games. Deuce Mcallister had 90 rushing yards in his rookie season. I know he didn't start, but not many rookies show there true potential in their first season...That's all I have to say. No need to lecture me.

Apparently you didn't see that home run Mcallister ran in his rookie season against the Falcons everyone knew after that he was going to be good.

Bush at this point reminds me of a bigger Chad Morton..to much shake and bake and not enough north and south, I hope in time he will get better.

Apparently you didn't see that home run Mcallister ran in his rookie season against the Falcons everyone knew after that he was going to be good.

Bush at this point reminds me of a bigger Chad Morton..to much shake and bake and not enough north and south, I hope in time he will get better.

So that one play made Mcallister's rookie season an instant success? What about Bush's punt return to win the game??

why do we care so much what other people say about our team, somebodys says something good, we post it and then everybody talks about how much they like the person, then someone says something bad and we all mad at them? why do we care? he is really basis this on if he know maroney would perform this way, and ofcourse if the draft was yesterday, salisbury would STILL take Bush...bush is the perfect fit for this team and this coach he is just having a hard time because he is supposed to be tearing up the league and teams key in on stopping him...who would you be more afraid of Brady or Maroney? why cant these players just be in good situations? both players are still threats for there team so why does it matter? i could care less if bush hits 1,000yrds rushing, he means more to this offense than rushing yards, he is a reciever and runner and will only get better, he opens up holes for duece but i'm wondering when are they gonna hand the ball to reggie on one of thoses reverses?

There is no doubt in my mind that Maroney will be the better running back. Better player? I'd still give that to Bush. But better running back? I'd say Maroney.

I think I agree with this. I just don't see Bush has a workhorse back. I could be wrong, but I see him more as a multi-use player.

I wish Reggie would just run loose one of these games to stop all the talk. I know we've been saying he will, but it's time for him now. Who knows, maybe the ankle injury could help him run slower in the backfield and wait for some holes to open.

Umm, the reason the holes don't open up is that we have an offensive line that has overachieved for most of the season.

Well said. And unfortunately, I'm starting to have the same feelings about Bush. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm extremely worried.

Well all eyes are on Reggie right now. Let's see, the end of the season and the next season before we call him a bust. I mean at least he is trying (unlike our good friend Sully).

Umm, the reason the holes don't open up is that we have an offensive line that has overachieved for most of the season.

I wouldn't say the line has overachieved. It's more like they have been protected by coaching. The designed short drop, quick passes are intended to protect our weaknesses along the offensive line. Our line doesn't have to pass protect long on quick drops/passes by the QB. Coaches know that this line can't protect Brees if he has to hold onto ball for longer routes. It's why we don't see many long pass or routes that take longer to develop. It's been a wonderful coaching job by Payton and his staff. They've designed an offense that hides our weakness and so far they've been successful.

Bush still hasn't learned to follow his blocking or cutback lanes--such is the fundamentals of zone blocking.

Bush is essentially trying to un-learn what he did in college--which was merely bounce the play to the outside, run around the edge and turn on the jets for big yardage.

Bush hasn't learned to really follow his blocking and find the holes to get to the next level. When he's seen the holes develop, we've seen what he can do physically to get extra yardage. The key to being a great running back is recognizing where the hole, cutback lane or weakness is in the D-line and blow through it. Bush hasn't reached that level yet.

Want to know why? He didn't have vision at the point of attack in college--he was able to hit the edges with more success and just run away from the D-line and linebackers.

The learning curve for Bush, I think is a lot higher because of what he was able to do in college--I think he can learn eventually to follow his blockers and find the cutback lanes. I trust the coaching staff to identify this weakness and allow him to become an effective runner.

The point of my post is to exercise some patience, here. He's already a vital cog in the offense--the coaching staff has done, overall a great job in emphasizing the collective strengths of all the skill positions.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the line has overachieved. It's more like they have been protected by coaching. The designed short drop, quick passes are intended to protect our weaknesses along the offensive line. Our line doesn't have to pass protect long on quick drops/passes by the QB. Coaches know that this line can't protect Brees if he has to hold onto ball for longer routes. It's why we don't see many long pass or routes that take longer to develop. It's been a wonderful coaching job by Payton and his staff. They've designed an offense that hides our weakness and so far they've been successful.

Which is exactly why Deuce has been more successful behind a line which does a better job in pass blocking than run blocking.

Which is exactly why Deuce has been more successful behind a line which does a better job in pass blocking than run blocking.

Actually, what I'm saying is that our O-line probably sucks at pass protecting too. But we will never know because of the design of our offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom