Since when does 7 games define your career? (1 Viewer)

There is no doubt in my mind that Maroney will be the better running back. Better player? I'd still give that to Bush. But better running back? I'd say Maroney.

I really can't stand ESPN anymore. I haven't watched it for some time now. I was just tired of listening to them, even thins that didn't pertain to the Saints. I just couldn't stand all the ex-players, reporters and those people anymore.

I can tell you this though, he is no Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, Marshall Faulk, etc. If he was, Pete Carrol would have given him the ball on 4th and 1 in the NC game instead of Lendale White....

How come? White was a really good power back in college that excelled in running between the tackles. This is not Bush's forte. Neither was it Sanders' or Sayers'. I'll tell you, though, if I had Barry Sanders and Mike Alstott on my team and I needed one (1) yard, I'm giving the ball to Alstott.

Look at the way the Chargers have used Michael Turner. Several times this year when they needed just one or two yards, they've given Turner the ball instead of LT. I don't think this means that Turner is a better runner than LT, it's just the smarter thing to do in that situation.

Why don't you guys read a little about Sean Salisbury.

"After getting his start on the Comedy Central show BattleBots, Salisbury went on to become an NFL analyst on ESPN, appearing on SportsCenter and NFL Live. He is well known for teasing fellow analyst John Clayton in the Sportscenter segment Four Downs. Clayton once famously got back at Salisbury. During an argument, Salisbury attempted to prove his point by telling Clayton, "You never played in the NFL." Clayton, noting that Salisbury spent most of his career as a backup quarterback on the sidelines (he received about a year's worth of NFL snaps in an eight year career), fired back, "neither did you!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Salisbury

Oh and don't forget to check out his post season stats.
14/44 31.8% completion percentage 0 TD's and 3 interceptions in 4 career postseason games.

wasn't sean the one that would always pick the saints the previous 3-5 years as a 'breakout' team?

During an argument, Salisbury attempted to prove his point by telling Clayton, "You never played in the NFL." Clayton, noting that Salisbury spent most of his career as a backup quarterback on the sidelines (he received about a year's worth of NFL snaps in an eight year career), fired back, "neither did you!".

I personally don't like Clayton any more than Salisbury, but that's some funny junk.

I HATE Sean Salisbury. He just said that if the draft were today, Maroney should be drafted ahead of Bush. What an idiodic statement. Sure, Maroney has been more productive than Bush to this point, but come on.

Let me ask you....using this same rationale....do you think Houston messed up by picking Mario Williams?

Remember....7 games does not define a career.

I personally don't like Clayton any more than Salisbury, but that's some funny junk.

I think my opinion on Clayton has been expressed more than enough but yeah, that was funny.

Did anyone see the size of the holes Maroney was running through last night? Simple iso play off the left tackle and the guy was in the secondary before anyone got within five yards of him. I'm not trying to take anything away from Maroney because I think he will be a great running back in this league (and thought so when he was at Minn.), but anyone could get serious yards running downhill through holes that monstrous.

What they'll say is that he did it against one of the best run stopping defenses in the league this year. But what they'll fail to mention is that he didn't start getting his big yards until later in the game after Brady and Belichek smartly spread out the Vikes' D by throwing the ball almost every down with 3 and 4 reciever sets. Then the Pats used their very good offensive line and some more good play calling to gash them on the long runs.

But that's all X's and O's, far to complicated for the average ADD football fan to understand according to the networks. Just give me some T.O. coverage and tell me how many Bengals were incarcerated this week.

I tried bringing up these points as well. Denver is another example of a team that really OPENS up the holes. But most people, Stupidbury included, do not understand Xs and Os and cannot see past statistics.

Last edited:
I do think reggie needs to get angry. pac man jones might have gotten into his head. reggies going to bust loose, but he has to remember the course, er, I mean the field in his case, is between the ears. He is a rookie. lets not forget.

To answer the question in the thread title, 7 games defines your career when the totality of your career is 7 games. That's all he's played.

I'm hoping things work out, but there is no evidence to suggest that Reggie will ever be what he was advertised to be, or what you, me and all other Saints fans thought he was before the season started.

He hasn't even shown a glimpse of being a great running back. He makes a six yard run and all of us fans and the announcers and everyone else act like he did something great.

Look, we all hate when other media darlings get put on a pedastal without earning it; why should it be different because this guy is a Saint? Are we hypocrites?

You figure, if Reggie is comparable to Marshall Faulk (or even Eric Metcalf, for that matter) we would have seen a glimpse by now. A peek, at least.

What have we seen? A punt return that any decent return man in the NFL could have made and some nifty catches out the backfield. But, once I stopped sipping the Kool Aide, I realized that he hasn't really done squat. By now, we should have seen something, right?

The part that bothers me is that he plays like a ninny. He's afraid to get touched, it seems. How long is he going to be allowed by the coaches to pitty-pat around the field? Especially when he is taking carries away from Deuce, who just gets better each time you give him the ball?

I'm worried about Reggie. I'm starting to think his style will never work in the NFL, and that he can't adjust his style. Time will tell, I guess, but for now I'm not drinking anymore Kool Aide.

wasn't sean the one that would always pick the saints the previous 3-5 years as a 'breakout' team?
Yes, he was. He's always been a closet Saints fan.

I've only seen Maroney on a handful of plays, and he sure looks like a strong back.

On the other hand, I remember all the attention that Ricky Williams got as a rookie, and it seemed that almost every week someone was trying to take him out of the game. Reggie is a bit like Williams was--it's like he has a target on his back. Eventually, the target left Williams, and it will leave Bush as well.

Maroney hasn't and still doesn't command the attention that Bush does. Maybe he should, but the fact is that he doesn't. Some of the attention--as it did with Williams--has nothing to do with football, and everything to do with celebrity.

It's still too early to tell who's the better back between these two, or whether the best back from the this years draft may turn out to be someone else entirely.

Maroney probably would go ahead of reggie now...no matter how good reggie may or may not become. Hes a stud pure runner. Something Reggie will never be. That makes him a true franchise running back. Reggie is always going to be a variety player playing all over the place.

Don't take it so personally. Sean is one of the best guys on ESPN and he has picked the saints so many times and gotten burned. Don't be surprised if hes sketchy this year until we are at 9-10 wins.

Especially when he is taking carries away from Deuce, who just gets better each time you give him the ball?

....until he comes up gimpy from a blindside hit. Be glad that Reggie is helping to limit Deuce's touches, because Deuce (God bless him) hasn't proven that he can take blows for 16 regular season games.

As for the rest of your post, take comfort in the fact that Bush has proven that he gets better with time. Even Maurice Clarett had a better freshman year than Bush, then Bush proceeded to rewrite record books. It's easy to take shots at the guy right after his worst NFL showing, but let's not be too short-sighted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom