Since when is Boudreaux Chinese?! (1 Viewer)

Can't say I've ever eaten it. I wouldn't expect frozen to be better than fresh, but I'd expect that most people are buying frozen because the can't buy fresh or find it more convenient. I don't buy the frozen pre-made hamburger patty stacks, but I doubt they're really gross are tasteless, just faster to throw on the grill.

I guess I find enough in politics and other places to channel my outrage. I find it hard to get worked up over frozen food that isn't poisonous.

Can't say I've ever eaten it. I wouldn't expect frozen to be better than fresh, but I'd expect that most people are buying frozen because the can't buy fresh or find it more convenient. I don't buy the frozen pre-made hamburger patty stacks, but I doubt they're really gross are tasteless, just faster to throw on the grill.

I guess I find enough in politics and other places to channel my outrage. I find it hard to get worked up over frozen food that isn't poisonous.

Frozen would be the same if they were the same product before the were frozen. Chinese crawfish tend to smaller, have less fat (thus less flavor), and are usually a tad overlooked (making them chewy). You also have all the inherent risks associated with truly large scale harvesting and shipping a perishable product halfway around the world.

I don't think the packaging is deceiving, and anyone that really cares is going to check anyway, but there is no doubt there is a difference between the Chinese and locally sourced products.

It's not like they are hiding where it came from... Where are they being deceptive?

Sure Boudreaux's is larger at the top, but I don't really believe that Mrs Smith is an old granny making and freezing my pie if I buy a Mrs. Smith's pie at WalMart either. I don't see any "deception" involved at all; the thing is labelled. I mean "PRODUCT OF CHINA" is all caps and twice the size of the address.

They're required by law to throw the Product of China on there, and I think the placement is even required by law.

It's lame. Obviously they're hoping you don't notice and think we're talking Louisiana crawfish here. The intention to pass it off as being a Louisiana product is clear.

It's not a big deal, no, because as you allude to, most companies do this. But every time they do it's pretty lame. In my opinion.

Also, the food standards in China are abysmal. So I wouldn't believe for half a second the "WILD CAUGHT" on the label either.

They're obviously using a La name to get folks to pick up their product; why not just call it China's Best Crawfish or something similar? Name & product association I guess.

As far as the Chinese crawfish tails are concerned, the local packers are required by law to display prominently if the product is imported. Thus the "Produce of China" at the bottom of the packaging.

I can also tell you that almost 90% of the crawfish tails that are used in local cuisine are imported (Chinese or Spanish), as domestic tails are almost double the cost. Discerning restaurants will commonly use Spanish tails more often as they taste more like Louisiana crawfish at a price that is more in line with the Chinese variety.

On a slightly different note, if you order a "Fried Fish po-boy," as opposed to a "Fried Catfish po-boy," you are most likely eating pangasius or bassa from Asia. It costs about half the price of domestic catfish, and in many cases is cleaner and tastier (depending on the distributor's levels of inspection) than catfish. But pangasius and bassa cannot legally be marketed as catfish, even though it's related to the catfish and has many of the same characteristics.

ETA: A local restaurant is going to purchase crawfish tails at the following prices (approximate) from a foodservice group:

Size 100/150
Chinese: $8.40/lb
Spanish: $8.60/lb
Louisiana: $13.70/lb

As far as the Chinese crawfish tails are concerned, the local packers are required by law to display prominently if the product is imported. Thus the "Produce of China" at the bottom of the packaging.

I can also tell you that almost 90% of the crawfish tails that are used in local cuisine are imported (Chinese or Spanish), as domestic tails are almost double the cost. Discerning restaurants will commonly use Spanish tails more often as they taste more like Louisiana crawfish at a price that is more in line with the Chinese variety.

On a slightly different note, if you order a "Fried Fish po-boy," as opposed to a "Fried Catfish po-boy," you are most likely eating pangasius or bassa from Asia. It costs about half the price of domestic catfish, and in many cases is cleaner and tastier (depending on the distributor's levels of inspection) than catfish. But pangasius and bassa cannot legally be marketed as catfish, even though it's related to the catfish and has many of the same characteristics.

ETA: A local restaurant is going to purchase crawfish tails at the following prices (approximate) from a foodservice group:

Size 100/150
Chinese: $8.40/lb
Spanish: $8.60/lb
Louisiana: $13.70/lb

And that it why I never order crawfish or shrimp in a restaurant and very rarely order fish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I would feel comfortable ordering shrimp at most places. Gulf shrimp are actually cheaper per pound than chinese shrimp.

Yep, and in most other parts of the country "Gulf Shrimp" are labeled prominently on the menu.

I do not, however, order crawfish anything at any restaraunt. I'm fully aware that precooked frozen crawfish from Asia are absolutely the cheapest option and used overwhelmingly. And even if not, it's still precooked frozen crawfish, which is simply not as good.

Their website has no mention of the products coming from China other than their oysters which comes from the China Sea.

IMHO, it is misleading. The name Boudreaux is associated with Cajuns and they selected that name to associate their crawfish with south Louisiana. To me, it would be the same as opening a company named Alaskan King and selling crabs from Holly Beach.

You guys better go after Boudreaux's Butt Paste too.

Since Katrina they've been making it in Indiana.

You guys better go after Boudreaux's Butt Paste too.

Since Katrina they've been making it in Indiana.

first off, when the Chinese crawfish first started popping up over here, there were some places local that tried to pass them off so there are plenty people that are bitter about them to begin with over that and second, they are marketing these at people not from SE La. As Buzd said, those that care are going to look, but if you aren't from down here you might not know to. I agree that they did nothing illegal but that does not make it Kosher.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom