Sirius Radio: Zach Thomas offered Saints contract? {Edit: No, the Patriots' offered contract} (1 Viewer)

Free agent Zach Thomas is reportedly in search of a multi-year deal that includes guaranteed money.
The Providence Journal speculates the Patriots' offer may have only been for the minimum plus incentives. Thomas will meet with the Saints Tuesday and the Cowboys on Wednesday. The Jets and Bills also want to interview him.

I think that we have a legit shot, but we will certainly have to throw some upfront money his way. We could afford to throw a couple million at him with our current cap situation. We have to sign someone to play the middle, so it might as well be Thomas. Pay him what Simeneau and Simmons (sp?) were making last year and call it day. We are certainly bigger contenders than the Jets and Bills. Plus, he would be guaranteed a starting spot.

Hes trying to cash in one last time. The thought that he would come in and be a backup/mentor in the event we draft a MLB is probably a pipe dream. He wants to get paid and start. I don't blame him.

We'll see if we are willing to pay 4-5 million a year for him for the next 2 years.

I understand that but Pampa is closer to Dallas (6 hours) than lets say Foxboro (29 hours) or New Orleans (14 hours)....

FWIW Denver is 7 hours and 50 minutes away.

Cool.

Personally I think the whole "playing close to home" thing is very overrated. In the modern world we live in, no player is ever more then a 2-3 hour plane ride from where they wanta be. Unless a team is actually in their home town or within driving distance, I don't think it matters much. I think it matters alot more in baseball or basketball where you play so many games almost every day.

Last edited:
When I asked his sister, she said the Pats made him a "great" offer.

Hes trying to cash in one last time. The thought that he would come in and be a backup/mentor in the event we draft a MLB is probably a pipe dream. He wants to get paid and start. I don't blame him.

We'll see if we are willing to pay 4-5 million a year for him for the next 2 years.

That seems awfully high IMO.

Seems like the saints are the best fit for him. Anyone familiar with this process know if we will hear something soon? I've never really payed attention to the off seasons much in the past but am trying to get the hang of things this year.

Edit: Is anyone here on the boards close enough to the organization to hear credible information sometime this afternoon?

Last edited:
Saints need to Bump the offer up 2 million more and let him walk to Dallas or Patriots as an over paid Newb, i seriously doubt we'll get this guy the way the bigger pocket books are already throwing cash at his feet.

Seems like the saints are the best fit for him. Anyone familiar with this process know if we will hear something soon? I've never really payed attention to the off seasons much in the past but am trying to get the hang of things this year.

Edit: Is anyone here on the boards close enough to the organization to hear credible information sometime this afternoon?

You should know something one way or another by this evening. If he makes his scheduled trip to Dallas on Wednesday, you'll know we didn't sign him.

If you don't hear anything on the evening news today (local New Orleans), then he may still be in town, and that would be a good thing.

When I asked his sister, she said the Pats made him a "great" offer.

I see, so not only do you know someone in the Alabama football program but you also personally know Zach Thomas's sister. If you've got so many connections, why even waste your time posting on a fan board?

I hope the guys do everything reasonable to grab him. I have high hopes.

You should know something one way or another by this evening. If he makes his scheduled trip to Dallas on Wednesday, you'll know we didn't sign him.

If you don't hear anything on the evening news today (local New Orleans), then he may still be in town, and that would be a good thing.

Why wouldn't it be feasible that he goes to Dallas, NJ, Buffalo, etc. and come back and accept NO's deal? Wouldn't he want to hear everyone out before signing unless NO just totally sold him with an outrageous deal?

rotoworld reported that he was looking for a multiyear deal this morning I can only that the Pats offered him their typical one year bruchi or Seau deal and thats why he walked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom