Sirius-XM Merger Approved... (1 Viewer)

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
XM stock jumped 18% at one point.

Good news. Looking for ward to the a la carte channel menu.

Need FCC approval also now.

I just got Sirius a week ago. How will this change the service if at all?

I just got Sirius a week ago. How will this change the service if at all?

Won't change anything in the short term.

Long term they are likely to consolidate programming and eliminate overlap -- maybe just one Blues channel for example instead of one from XM and one from Sirius.

They claim that in a year after final approval they will have an 'a la carte' channel menu and pricing plan allowing you to select your own array of programming.

And they claim that you will be able to keep the radio you currently have.

Of course without competition, nothing is stopping them from charging a ton more a month

Sweet!!! About bloody time. Amazing how Congress had no problem with othe rmergers---Clear Channel-Everyone, Oil Company mergers, Time-Aol-Warner. But this, THIS they had to study for months. What ever. Looking forward to it.

Of course without competition, nothing is stopping them from charging a ton more a month

The argument is that they have plenty of competition -- terrestrial radio, HD radio, iPod connectors, bluetooth music capable phones.

Satellite radio competes directly with terrestrial radio.......if you don't believe me ask the National Association of Broadcasters.....it was thier interests that held this thing up for so long.

Satellite radio competes directly with terrestrial radio.......if you don't believe me ask the National Association of Broadcasters.....it was thier interests that held this thing up for so long.

If terrestrial radio had a playlist that was actually worth anything and not just clearchannel vanilla on every station except for endless ads, I might consider it. However I have not listened to terrestrial radio in a year.

And with podcasts, self programmed playlists, etc.

If terrestrial radio had a playlist that was actually worth anything and not just clearchannel vanilla on every station except for endless ads, I might consider it. However I have not listened to terrestrial radio in a year.

What part of the country do you live in? MT or CA?

You are right that terrestrial radio is generally putrid. But there are a few good independent radio stations around the country that have great playlists and great variety.

Ones I have experience with are WRNR in Annapolis MD (you can pull it in in parts of DC and in Baltimore), KFOG in San Francisco and WXRV in Boston.

http://www.wxrv.com/jobopenings.shtml
http://www.wrnr.com/

L.A. has some decent options too.

If had regular access to one of those Indie stations I might not get SatRad. But regular terrestrial is so bad that road trips are painful without Satellite.

Ironically, Clear Channel was one of the biggest investors in XM. And XM hired a proigramming chief from Clear Channel awhile back and after they did I felt like their music variety decreased a bit. Still better than regular radio though.

I was without XM radio for a week due to the car being in the shop. I tried listening to terrestrial radio for about 15 minutes and just turned it off and didn't bother turning it back on. I'd rather ride in silence than listen to FM radio.

Terrestrial radio is a joke, and will be dead in a few years. I'll bet in a 24 hour period, the entire spectrum in any given market plays about 200 different songs.

The new XM/Sirius will have the power to charge whatever they want very soon. I didn't know about that $500 for life deal. That's pretty good

Ones I have experience with are WRNR in Annapolis MD (you can pull it in in parts of DC and in Baltimore),

glad to know they're still around. I could barely pull them in when I was there before, but my new car has great FM reception and I hope I can get them. IIRC, it was the Einstein family that started that up after they sold off WHFS in DC and it went into the toilet. I know that Damien was DJ'ing there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom