Site running a little sluggish for anyone else? (1 Viewer)

Argh, of all the times for things to go coo coo with the boards :(

Site running slow = Hint hint donate

Ok! Here's the deal.

It isn't a problem with the site or server, we have plenty of resource overhead. The problem is a connectivity issue. Our so-called 100mbps connection at (theplanet) is nowhere near that and it seems to be progressively degrading over time. What was supposed to be a dedicated connection is actually shared. There is an exchange that I posted on the tech board last year between myself and the NOC that explains it better.

After the draft last year I leased a second server from another host (Layered Technologies) with a 1000mbps connection to serve our graphics. That helped a lot and we had no problems since. But when the season ended and the SR account funds went dry I dropped that second server. I figured that we would move everything to Layered Technologies after the pledge drive and before the draft.

That was obviously a mistake. I put in a support ticket at The Planet asking them to check our connectivity, but the last time I griped about it that wanted me to lease a 1/4 rack at an additional $275 per mo. and they would hook us to a bigger pipe. Well, why should I do that when I could get a second server elsewhere to serve graphics cheaper than that, and that is what I did.

Anyway, yesterday, realizing that we were having problems, as a stop-gap measure I ordered a second server to host graphics (again), and it was supposed to be ready today. Only is wasn't ready. When it is, we should have a lot less of these problems. But the fact is, until we actually move to Layered Technologies altogether, it's a band-aid. But I so hate switching servers and hosts. It's a huge pain in the butt, and being that I actually buy additional RAM each time, it's initially expensive.

Sorry for the inconvenience, please bear with us here. Right now I have avatars, sigs, search, guest viewing and about everything else that I could think of that hogs resources turned off. Not much else that I can do until that second server is ready.

Andrus

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom