Six Flags New Orleans in 2016 (1 Viewer)

TBC, i did not tell them to do it - it was after they graduated
they did it and i saw their pics on FB

Covering your tracks... too late. The po-po's would like to speak with you :smilielol:

Watch-out-for-that-tree.jpg

2011-Main-Entrance-of-abandoned-Six-Flags-New-Orleans.jpg

tons mas

Creepy, Crusty, Crumbling: Illegal Tour of Abandoned Six Flags New Orleans [75 Pics]

That was always the puzzling thing about the park. Why they would build it in that location is puzzling
Not surprising at all, as the tract was in the family of the original developer.

Real Estate developer Tom Winingder is married to Dian Coleman Winingder (of the Audubon Place Colemans). The 220-acre Jazzland tract of land near the intersection of Interstate 10 and 510 had been in the Coleman family for 50 years prior to its development as Jazzland.

Part of it is the disgusting political atmosphere of this city.
Everybody was in on it. The Winingders brought the land. Ogden Entertainment of New York provided cash and "expertise". The city, developers and lenders hashed out a complicated public-private venture. In a controversial part of the deal, the City Council waived more than $1 million in annual property taxes. Instead, Jazzland was supposed to funnel a cut of its revenue, between $500,000 and $1.5 Million per year, to an economic development corporation that would have dispersed the money to spur growth in eastern New Orleans. Members of the EDC were to be appointed by elected officials and Jazzland.

The state provided a $10 million grant and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development committed $25 million in low-interest loans that was to be funneled through the city. Banks loaned $30 million.

The balance of the $80 million project-- only $15 million-- came from Ogden and the Winingders.

The Winingders ultimately sold their share of the project when it opened as Jazzland, but were to receive a percentage of revenue from the park.

How ya like them apples?

Should have never closed Pontchtrain Beach.

I love urban exploring photography, the ones that aren't there to vandalize. It's fascinating. I know it's illegal and I would never do it, but there sometimes is beauty in the lens of someone who can see it and photograph it.

Just bumping the most recent relevant thread I can find on this. Mayor Cantrell wants it demolished, and soon

"Right now, I have my sights on the Six Flags site, which we are now running numbers for demolition, really, as I speak," Mayor LaToya Cantrell announced in May. She gave no further details on any demolition or redevelopment plans. In response to requests for information, her office released a statement saying an assessment is currently being done to determine the best use for the site, and that the administration is committed to improving the quality of life for residents of New Orleans East.

The assessment referenced by the mayor's office was commissioned by the New Orleans Business Alliance for the city and released in June. It envisions turning the site into a destination for learning about climate change, resiliency and water issues, and for family-friendly activities such as excursions to the nearby Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge or zip line courses.

Personally for its' future I like something along the lines of this, it would make for a neat and unique open air museum.
But museums probably don't pay for the $1.3 million demolition price tag alone, unfortunately.

I saw a suggestion about turning it into a new location for Jazz Fest. That was thought provoking, at the very least.
before jindal gutted the film industry, a 'festival rounds' was part of an idea that included a hue movie studio & backlot
that seemed ideal bc it had mostly steady work from film, with occasional bumps from festivals
but alas

my wish is that i could live there with my dogs and a bunch of turrets everywhere. i mean for fork sakes, it is worth it for the jean lafitte section alone.

i was told that i would have to let that forking loony dude from the six flags commercials, the mimi-me looking forker, stay too. nope.

my wish is that i could live there with my dogs and a bunch of turrets everywhere. i mean for fork sakes, it is worth it for the jean lafitte section alone.

i was told that i would have to let that forking loony dude from the six flags commercials,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom