Six New members of Hall of Fame Class of 2008 Announced (MERGED) (2 Viewers)

Cha-Ching

Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee concluded its annual meeting today and chose six new members.

Fred Dean, Darrel Green, Art Monk, Emmitt Thomas, Andre Tippett and Gary Zimmerman will be enshrined in Canton in August.

www.profootballtalk.com

Past due on Monk.

So much for Ray Guy. Nice to hear Darrel Green got in, along with Art Monk.

Indeed, about time Monk made it in.

Brief article on Louisiana native and Louisiana Tech standout, Fred Dean:

Ruston, Tech product Fred Dean named to Pro Football Hall of Fame

Staff, wire reports
sports@thenewsstar.com

Northeastern Louisiana native Fred Dean has been elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Dean was all-state at Ruston High then all-conference at nearby Louisiana Tech before a standout career with the NFL's San Diego Chargers and San Francisco 49ers.

In 1980, Dean was an All-AFC defensive lineman for the Chargers, and in 1981, by then having been assigned to the San Francisco 49ers, he was not only All-NFC but the NFC's Defensive Player of the Year. Dean had six sacks, one short of the league record, in a 1983 game against New Orleans.

http://thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080202/UPDATES02/80202024

So Andre Tippet gets voted into the Hall of Fame while Rickey Jackson doesn't even make the finalist list? Someone explain that one to me.

Rickey Jackson had more sacks, more tackles, played in more Pro-Bowls, and has a Super Bowl ring. :dunno: ?????

Andre Tippitt, but not Rickey Jackson. East Coast bias, plain and simple. Pete Finney has a vote, and it is time someone else from New Orleans be given that vote to make the case for City Champ.

i cant believe that Chris Carter was not a first ballot guy. If not for Jerry Rice, he would be considered the best receiver of all time, imo.

They really need to reform and alter the number of folks getting in. There's going to be a big logjam at receiver in the next ten years and that's going to inhibit other worthy players from their deserved recognition.

i like the small number getting in every year, it makes it mean more when not everyone is allowed in.

Glad to see Monk get in. I remember him always piling up HUGE numbers every season, but always doing it quietly. Never making a big show like , ...... some receivers today.
And Green.... the fastest man in football, played 20 years. MAN 20 years!
But after that, I'm with you guys about how they could make it and not Rickey. Although Dean had that monster game against us back in the 80's...... like sacked Dave Wilson 6 times.
Any remember that?

Face it folks until the Saints win a SuperBowl there wil be no representatives of the Saints getting into the HOF. Archie should be in. Rickey Should be in. I just wonder how long it will take Morten to get in once he retires. If he doesnt make the HOF then you know something is wrong with the selection committee. GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!

I am actually most disappointed about Tags not getting in. The NFL business was booming, and the rest of the country probably wouldnt have cared if they left. But they stayed, with a lot of thanks towards Tagliabue (and BClemms and Jay Foster among others here). Here is what ESPN wrote:

"In his 17 years as commissioner, the NFL experienced no labor stoppages, while its revenues from TV contracts skyrocketed. There also were expansions to Jacksonville, Charlotte, Cleveland and Houston under his watch, and several teams moved into new stadiums, many of them built with public funds."

Sounds impressive to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom