Six New members of Hall of Fame Class of 2008 Announced (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

I am actually most disappointed about Tags not getting in. The NFL business was booming, and the rest of the country probably wouldnt have cared if they left. But they stayed, with a lot of thanks towards Tagliabue (and BClemms and Jay Foster among others here). Here is what ESPN wrote:

"In his 17 years as commissioner, the NFL experienced no labor stoppages, while its revenues from TV contracts skyrocketed. There also were expansions to Jacksonville, Charlotte, Cleveland and Houston under his watch, and several teams moved into new stadiums, many of them built with public funds."

Sounds impressive to me.

someone on espn said part of the reason was the owners were not happy with the last round of collective bargains, thought it favored players too much.

I thought writers voted for Hall of Fame though.

Face it folks until the Saints win a SuperBowl there wil be no representatives of the Saints getting into the HOF. Archie should be in. Rickey Should be in. I just wonder how long it will take Morten to get in once he retires. If he doesnt make the HOF then you know something is wrong with the selection committee. GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!

While I understand the argument, that just isn't true.

How many Super Bowls have the DWIKings won? Yet they have 13 players in the Hall of Fame (8 of whom played the majority of their careers and their best years for them).
The Cardinals have 16 players (11 main stays) and they've never even made it to the Super Bowl, much less won one. Ditto on the Detroit Lions who have 17 players (13 main stays) in the Hall.

And I love Archie as much as anyone, but he doesn't have the numbers to be in the NFL Hall of Fame. Certainly the College Football Hall of Fame (which he is in), but not the NFL HoF.

Still, I cannot understand why Rickey Jackson isn't in. Someone validly might say "character issues" but I can point out a large number of less-than-stellar citizens in the NFL HoF (Al Davis, OJ Simpson, Michael Irvin, and Joe Namath off the top of my head), so what's the hold up? Come on, sports writers, get off your biases and look at the fact sheets, not to mention go back to some tapes and watch dominate games. :rant:

I feel glad for Art Monk. Seriously any writer who ever considered himself legitimate needed to put this guy in 5 years ago IMHO. God forbid it sounds almost ridiculous that it took this long to get him in. I have a theory on why some great players like Rickey Jackson don't get in. Many sports writers have a self inflated mindset on what players they think are very good and make an impact and one that is so far from reality the casual fan is left out. And most writers don't care about the fans most of the time or teams with losing pasts. Drew Brees could go to 5-6 Pro Bowls and make a few SB appearances and some jerk writer would still find a way to screw him out of Canton.

They are delusional and self serving most of them, they think they know it all and the casual hard working fan knows nothing. Some people call it arrogance, some call it being narrow minded, I myself think its the trend with the media just being elitist and overtly activist in its reporting. They see ordinary people as peons and herd material and treat us as such.

Thats my theory on why great sports players never get in. Jackson did not kiss enough *** to get in so he gets screwed as a result

How is Andre Tippett elected...

into the Hall of Fame, but not Rickey Jackson?!

The sportswriters chose him based on his career, and because he was a finalist (which Rickey was not)?

It's about time for Monk. Plain and simple. A smile came across my face when I saw he'd finally been named. We saw a lot of him up here, living 2 hours north of DC. Before the Ravens existed, it was Steelers/Eagles/Skins here locally.

It's about time for Monk. Plain and simple. A smile came across my face when I saw he'd finally been named. We saw a lot of him up here, living 2 hours north of DC. Before the Ravens existed, it was Steelers/Eagles/Skins here locally.

Me too, I think what even made Monk more remarkable and he put those stats up with Gibbs and his run 1st offense.

The Patriots videotaped a number of members of the selection committee. :hihi:

Tippett's in, and Jackson not even a finalist yet?

This never would have happened if Pete Finney was alive.

Me too, I think what even made Monk more remarkable and he put those stats up with Gibbs and his run 1st offense.

You mean the run-first offense with the three WR set? The innovative one that provided jobs for mediocre nickel backs all over the league for years? The one that allowed Monk to run five yard hitches and square outs to keep his streak alive, while the other team was busy making sure Gary Clark didn't score on another post pattern?

I'm not bugged that he's in, but he never struck me as a difference-maker or somebody you had to scheme against ("Christ, Benny, job 1 is how are we going to stop Monk next week?!?"), and I wouldn't have voted for him. But good for him that's he's in.

Meanwhile, I think Finney owes it to his loyal Saints fan readers to explain his stance on Rickey, and, without broad-brush statements or platitudes, why it's taken him so long even to be a finalist when Tippett is already in. Zimmerman has done at least that much on a number of players, and it's about time Finney manned up. Enough with the Billy Kilmer rememberances and the stretched-out fluff columns about nothing that would make Seinfeld jealous.

This proves that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. What will Redskin fans have to whine and complain about now that Monk is in?

Seriously, at first I was all for Monk getting in, but it turned into a bash fest of the voters by Redskins fans whining and complaining that he was not in and that turned me off to the idea.

Here are his stats:
- 14 seasons
- 205 games (started 177)
- 888 receptions
- 12,026 yards
- 13.5 Y/R avg per catch
- 4.2 receptions per game
- 56.8 yards per game
- 65 TD
- 3 Pro Bowls [consecutive years]
- 3 All pro selections [consecutive years]
- Led league in receptions once, (finished top 5, 3 times)

Cris Carter's stats:
- 12 years
- 234 games (209 started)
- 1101 receptions
- 13,899 yards
- 130 TD
- 12.6 yards per catch
- 4.7 receptions per game
- 59.4 yards per game

Their careers overlapped slightly from 87 to 94, but CANNOT tell me that the game changed so much in the late 90's to increase Carters numbers by that much and games played has ALOT to do with a hall of fame career. Carter had twice as many touchdowns as Monk and had BACK TO BACK 122 reception seasons in 1994 and 1995. And for those who think the Redskins ran a run first offense -- THINK AGAIN. They simply used a power run formation to setup the pass. Remember where Gibbs came from before joining the redskins. He was the offensive coordinator at SAN DIEGO running "Air Coryell"...

I am not saying that Monk had a career that is not hall of fame worthy, but to think that this has been some GREAT INJUSTICE is taking it a bit too far and the whining and complaining is just the norm for Redskins fans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom