Skin abcess on nose (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, last Thursday or Friday I noticed a pimple at the entrance of my nose. Went to pop it and it did without too much trouble. A day later it looked a lot different had grown into an infected area. 2 days and it was a clearly infected abcess. Face and neck started feeling burning sensations on and under the skin. Pain was super dull. Never really felt anything like it. Closest thing I can think of was an abcessed tooth I had a little while back.

By the third day I was having wicked nasty headaches and the pain was coming in waves, so I went to clinic. Doc took a look and said it's an abcess and gave me an antibiotic and topical ointment. Said after 3 days, if no improvement to come back. 3 days later, still no signs of improvement and I went to a different clinic to get a second opinion. Doc says same as first except he adds that it isn't mature yet. Gives me a different antibiotic and said I can double up the 2 different meds. I was a bit concerned about taking 2 at the same time.. He assured me it's safe. He also said it probably wouldn't mature for another 3-5 days, which is brutal. After nearly a week of dealing with this, I'm at my wit's end.

The pain I can deal with. But it being at the entrance of my nose, I'm concerned that the infection could spread to my brain. The headaches are what bother me the most. I've tried ibuprofen and Aleve, and results have been mixed. I am not a fan meds and generally only take when absolutely needed. But now doubling up on an antibiotic, I'm not sure whether to take 2 ibuprofen instead of one for the headaches.

If it was anywhere else, I wouldn't be posting this, but the location and ongoing headaches and burning sensation on half my face and neck, even behind my eyes is tough to deal with. And of course the proximity to my brain doesn't make me feel any better.

Anyone have some good suggestions for the headaches and the pain?

Dave posted this 3+ hours ago and we just ignore it? put him on an ice floe and cast it away?
i know nothing about this
maybe play some Brahms and read some Proust to the abcess, see if you can mature it faster

Dave I’m sorry you’re dealing with that and unfortunately, I have no advice to offer other than possibly seeking a second medical opinion for optimal treatment.

Dave posted this 3+ hours ago and we just ignore it? put him on an ice floe and cast it away?
maybe play some Brahms and read some Proust to the abcess, see if you can mature it faster

Yeah, I'm not any better today. Just took an ibuprofen, and that hasn't helped. The entire left side of my head feels weird, like numb, but in a painful way. Hard to describe it. It's a super dull, burning pain.

Dave I’m sorry you’re dealing with that and unfortunately, I have no advice to offer other than possibly seeking a second medical opinion for optimal treatment.

Yeah, I did that, but he pretty much said the same thing as the first doc, so, I'm stuck with it I guess. I just want something for the pain (headaches and the dull pain on my face). The usual headache meds haven't worked.

Maybe this lack of sleep could be part of it. Averaging like 4-5 hours a day over the last week.

Maybe try sleeping at night?

I know right? Lol. My issue is that the pain is intense enough to keep me awake. And I'm having to sleep almost totally upright to keep the pain to a minimum. It's messing me up. I don't do sleep meds, but considering it.

Basically your body is attacking the infection. The problem is that it doesn't know when to quit. Your body is programed to surround infection so it can't go anywhere.

I'm not a doctor....but i did sleep at a holiday in express last night. ;)

If you are still reading , you should use a hot compress on the zit to get it to form a head then try re popping. It's not going to go away on its own.
Then take the antibiotics and some whiskey.... you'll be fine.

Yeah, I did that, but he pretty much said the same thing as the first doc, so, I'm stuck with it I guess. I just want something for the pain (headaches and the dull pain on my face). The usual headache meds haven't worked.

Maybe this lack of sleep could be part of it. Averaging like 4-5 hours a day over the last week.
I know some doctors have been very cautious with prescribing stronger pain medications due to the addiction factor but that sounds like it might be warranted here ( I know nothing - I’m just a Human Resources guy).

I genuinely hope that you feel better soon Dave; though, admittedly, I’m also responding because guido threatened us earlier in this thread. The fact that he 86’ed his Lenten tradition gives me pause about crossing him.
:hihi:

Last edited:
Um, I already have a husband to listen to about gross things so I didn't feel compelled to respond. But this is why you don't pop things. Not sure what it is but it COULD be an ingrown hair because those do get infected which is why you should exfoliate. I'd suggest Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Exfoliating Scrub. Tea tree oil helps with topical infections.

Last edited:
Um, I already have a husband to listen to about gross things so I didn't feel compelled to respond. But this is why you don't pop things.

Wait, I thought you liked watching that sheet. Dr. Pimple Popper or something like that. :hihi:

Fwiw, mine isn't really big, but it's gnarly looking and painful. It hurts too much to think about popping now. I just hope the hot compress will help.

If you are still reading , you should use a hot compress on the zit to get it to form a head then try re popping. It's not going to go away on its own.
Then take the antibiotics and some whiskey.... you'll be fine.
DO NOT POP.

Wait, I thought you liked watching that sheet. Dr. Pimple Popper or something like that. :hihi:

Fwiw, mine isn't really big, but it's gnarly looking and painful. It hurts too much to think about popping now. I just hope the hot compress will help.
Well, you got me there. But I also learn me some stuff. But she's a doctor. DO NOT POP AT HOME!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom