Skin abcess on nose (1 Viewer)

Really? OMG. I must have missed this.

It was 2009-ish. Sadly, not my first dance with cancer. Nor will it be my last. Part of my nose is my ear. Most say you cannot notice the scars unless I take my glasses off.

But I'll be darned if I'm going to let it get me!

It was 2009-ish. Sadly, not my first dance with cancer. Nor will it be my last. Part of my nose is my ear. Most say you cannot notice the scars unless I take my glasses off.

But I'll be darned if I'm going to let it get me!
So if you can't hear me, I have to talk into your nose?

Go with the dermatologist. Mixing antibiotics isn't a usually a worry. In the hospital, when it's a staph infection, they tend to load you up with 2 of the big guys, but I don't like some of those, since I believe one side effect is tendon damage/rupture ( fluoroquinolones ).

However, also note, antibiotics usually take a couple days to see improvement. The first day or two are usually worse.

Also, my experience is that topical antibiotics cause more problems than good. Now, I'm talking about OTC, like neosporin... it usually cause an alergic reaction with your skin with open wounds if you use it for more than a day or so. Dermotologists usually prefer just cleaning the wound area with soap and water, or a saline spray, then cover it with aquaphor.

I'm making an appointment to see a dermatologist as I type this. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

Yeah, I went to a walk in clinic. Smh at me.
Yeah, go see a dermatologist. Doc in the box can be good for basic level stuff but when it comes to skin things and the best way to treat it, a doc in the box is going to give you the most basic protocol.

That's not to say a dermatologist wouldn't give you the same treatment plan but they are able to identify things beyond the obvious.

I guy on my ship had a staff infection in the same spot as you describe. The medic put him on strong antibiotics and we flew him in to see a physician. He came back to work the next day, but he has been dealing with it since.

Dave I’m sorry you are dealing with this. The best I can offer is you’ll be in my prayers.

Basically, having had big ones on my legs, the puss and infection is usually isolated to the actual pore. The body does extremely well at walking the infection off, but it’s the massive inflammation that causes the issues.
Warm wet heat. Lots of it. It not only brings more blood flow (more the better) but it also softens the skin above the abcess to help it drain, and either a doctor will lance it or it will break in its own. Keep it as clean as possible. If you don’t already have some get some Hibiclense to clean it well after it drains if it breaks open before you see the dermatologist.
While I understand the worry of it spreading, that is a massively overstated risk. Your body does a very good job through swelling and extra blood flow and such to keep that from happening. Antibiotics also are terrible at crossing the abcess wall which is why they are falling out of favor with dermatologists.
So the more hot showers over your face the better. At this point no topical will work. Then warm wet washcloth. Once it ruptures, push around the edges, don’t squeeze it and then clean with hibiclense.

Welp, the dermatologist is out, no openings until like the 29th of this month. I'll go see one then, but the damage will be long past done by then.

It's hardened up quite a bit today. About to do a hot compress, then shower before bed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom