Skylar Green Our New Return Man (1 Viewer)

Someone help me with something. I was wondering why we waited until the season was over to get this guy. Could he not have been brought in earlier?

Because he isn't being brought to be the starting kick returner. He is being brought in to compete for the job with many others in an open camp.

If we thought he was "the" guy we probably would of brought him in sooner instead of barclay (who I thought looked very good returning kicks).

The problem with Green is that he wasn't a good kick returner even in college. I doubt Payton would put him on the team just to return punts. He'll have to become a great kick returner, something hes never been, and gain his punt return skills back to make the team. The odds are stacked against him.

Last edited:
Because he isn't being brought to be the starting kick returner. He is being brought in to compete for the job with many others in an open camp.

If we thought he was "the" guy we probably would of brought him in sooner instead of barclay (who I thought looked very good returning kicks).

The problem with Green is that he wasn't a good kick returner even in college. I doubt Payton would put him on the team just to return punts. He'll have to become a great kick returner, something hes never been, and gain his punt return skills back to make the team. The odds are stacked against him.

Thanks for the feedback and clarification.

I don't understand why a team will not spend a high draft choice on a return guy assuming there is one available. A great return guy effects the game is a super huge way (field postion, scoring, etc) and may touch the ball many, many times a game if the opposing offense is good and even more if your teams defense is poor. Steve Smith of the Panthers was drafted by George Siefert from Utah soley to return kicks. Now look at him he is a top WR.

Anyone know if there is a Hester type of return guy available in this draft?

Thanks for the feedback and clarification.

I don't understand why a team will not spend a high draft choice on a return guy assuming there is one available. A great return guy effects the game is a super huge way (field postion, scoring, etc) and may touch the ball many, many times a game if the opposing offense is good and even more if your teams defense is poor. Steve Smith of the Panthers was drafted by George Siefert from Utah soley to return kicks. Now look at him he is a top WR.

Anyone know if there is a Hester type of return guy available in this draft?

I think Jackson (WR) runs like a 4.3 forty and returned kicks in college well (plus he'd be a beast WR on top of returning), but hes a first rounder.

I'd like to draft a WR/CB with great footspeed in the 3rd or 4th solely to have him return kicks. The answer may not be on the roster right now, although Meachem does run a 4.4 forty and could probably do it.

I think the ideal thing is to let Reggie with his blistering speed return kicks. but we are too afraid of hurting him to let him. I'd love to see him on kickoff returns.

I guess I am ok with RB being a return guy. But I really would like a Deion Sanders type that is dedicated to the return somehow. Of course I know Deion played CB as well.

I guess I am ok with RB being a return guy. But I really would like a Deion Sanders type that is dedicated to the return somehow. Of course I know Deion played CB as well.

I don't like RB's returning kicks because of the lack of straightline speed, but I think thats irrelevent with Bush, who is as fast as most WR's.

Sklyer is not the same player he was in HS or his first 2 years at LSU. He did not and will not ever recover from that severe high ankle sprain he sustained his Jr. year. LSU's medical staff stated the injury was far worse than a simple fractured would have been. That injury, coupled with weight gain, has taken him from a legit 4.3 guy to a 4.5-4.6 guy. In HS and his first year at LSU, he ran several legit sub 10.4 100 m. That speed is gone.

Sklyer is not the same player he was in HS or his first 2 years at LSU. He did not and will not ever recover from that severe high ankle sprain he sustained his Jr. year. LSU's medical staff stated the injury was far worse than a simple fractured would have been. That injury, coupled with weight gain, has taken him from a legit 4.3 guy to a 4.5-4.6 guy. In HS and his first year at LSU, he ran several legit sub 10.4 100 m. That speed is gone.

Good input. I was not familiar with him. A return guy he is not with this info.

I've never understood our philosphy on kick returners (at least in the past 10 years). Its like we go out of our way to make sure we have an UDFA or something of the sort returning kicks while other teams have star RB's/WR's/CB's doing it and do well. Stallworth should of been returning kicks from day one when we drafted him.

I just don't think Green has the speed to make it in the NFL.

Look for guys like Desean Jackson, Dorien Bryant, Donnie Avery, Anthony Alridge to get serious looks during the draff.

yeah, I think the title of the thread is misleading. it should be changed to street free agent cut from 2 teams picked up, you might remember him as skyler green.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom